Monday, February 22, 2010

Charlotte. Did That.


I got some awesome comments on my last post. Really it was amazing... The three questions got me a billion awesome book suggestions (I made a master list), a book suggestion and a seminar suggestion for how to use power on the bike, and a dozen incredibly helpful and supportive comments from parents who have dealt with amblyopia (lazy eye) in children and also adults who suffered from amblyopia as kids. One of the suggestions I received was to look into felt patches. I found a great company online (Framehuggers) that make soft patches that go over the glasses. They are more comfortable than the type that stick to your eye. Also, she got a bear that says "Lara's patching pal" on her dress (the bear's dress). Pretty cute, huh? She still doesn't want to wear the patch, but I think we are making progress.

Onto triathlon news!
This weekend I went to Charlotte, N.C. for the Level 1 USAT coaching conference.   I don't even know where to start with all I have to say about it, so I'm going to address one lecture per blog post.

I will say I had  a GREAT weekend. I met cool people (like Donna), Charlotte had some great restaurants, I ran outside in SHORTS and I got to hang with Andy without the kidlets around. (That was truly awesome). The only bad thing about the weekend was that Andy had to rush out on Sunday morning and catch an early flight back. My mother-in-law, who was taking care of the kids with my father-in-law, was brought by ambulance to the ER late Saturday night. She has pneumonia. She is doing well now--and has a room and seems to be stable. But it's scary and upsetting.

The conference was excellent--with the exception of one presenter. I'm not going to focus on that one presenter, though. He was like a stain in an otherwise perfect slew of presenters and it's not worth spending time on how badly he sucked.

The first presentation was by Bob Seebohar. He is a coach and sports nutritionist. His whole gig is that one needs to train the body to use fat as a fuel source rather than glucose/simple sugars. One does this by training to be metabolically efficient--which one does by limiting carb intake in the diet during the preparatory and base periods, (also to some degree during the build and racing periods) and by limiting the amount of carb intake during exercise as well. You must stay primarily at 65-75% effort (when exercising, of course) most of the time (esp. during the base period) to achieve this adaptation.

I've heard this viewpoint from other coaches. At my RRCA certification training (running) they gave a presentation on why this works, and also I believe that Jesse etc. from QT2 believe that this is a necessary training mechanism for IM, and my blogging, uber ultrarunning superman buddy Lucho also believes this, I think.  I bought Seebohar's book, and in my annoying way asked Bob questions until I GOT the concept. I'm still not sure I buy it, however. Nothing is as clean cut as we would like to believe. There is a line--but it is a blurry line-- between when the body begins to utilize fat for a fuel source and when it relies more heavily on glucose.Also, it is never using exclusively one or the other except in the extreme (eg you are sprinting versus walking). This is the same problem I have with the energy system argument. People talk as if you are always using one energy system or another--but don't acknowledge that it is simply not that clear cut--that energy systems overlap, and that they overlap to different degrees in different people. It is not RANDOM how the overlap occurs. My point is only that we never use exclusively one system or the other, unless we are sprinting 100 yards or walking for days on end. I have a problem with standpoints that rely heavily on making things black and white in order for them to be sound.
I also don't quite understand the thinking behind why when one trains to be metabolically efficient in one zone or using one energy system, that a transfer occurs when one begins to incorporate training or racing outside of that zone. The principle of specificity holds that we become most efficient at running 7 minute pace, for example, when we practice at running at seven minute pace--not at eight minute--not at six minute pace. Why then, is one metabolically efficient when training in zone 4 if he has only adapted to being metabolically efficient in zone 2 and 1?
Another problem I have is the idea that athletes that race IM or ultra running by taking in few calories are able to do so b/c they have become more efficient at utilizing fat early in their training. Is it that, or simply that a body races better when it is not burdened with calories it cannot digest when exercising?

Nevertheless, his thinking is something to mull over. It is also something which requires more research on my part. I want to review actual studies that substantiate his claim. I will need to start with his works cited and work from there.

Not fiesty today. My depressive dip has lightened slightly, but I am still heavy in reflective land. No idea why. I need a race or something to zip me right up. :)
Or maybe I just need to allow myself to be a snorefest for a bit.
Maybe I'll dye my hair purple. I bet the kids would love that.

11 comments:

Running and living said...

Glad you had a great time in Charlotte! I feel the same way about the conference issue you discuss (though I know much less than you on the topic). I think most people tend to think in black and white terms because it takes less effort so it is much easier. Also, we all like to follow a certain formula that is going to make us faster, so the black and white thinking helps with that. I think the human body is smart and adapts and pretty much uses whatever energy is available at the moment. I also think that training no matter how we do it makes us more efficient at using fat. I have always done my runs much faster than typical plans advise, and during training for my first marathon I needed 2-3 gels per 20 miler, now I sometimes take 1. My body is probably better able to burn last night's dinner whatever that was (fat, carbs, prot). In sum, I don't think we have the research studies available for the claims that all these theories make! Something can make sense theoretically but not work in practice.

MaineSport said...

Glad to hear t was a good trip. The whole eating thing is interesting, but I question how realistic it is given most of us live with families. Triathlon makes us selfish enough- if we change what the family eats or get something special, that might push us over the edge. I look forward to your other gleaned knowledge.

Ange said...

I read his book and heard him speak him in Portland. I am intrigued by the concept...and yet unable to apply it fully to my own diet and training. I just can't get there...I would love to read some case studies as well.

GoBigGreen said...

Glad you are feeling more peppy:) Lovely to run outside in shorts. I sure am looking forward to that.
I agree with Running and Living, and while i am no pro and dont aspire to be one i know i love to eat what i love to eat and will change a bit but...um...I love my bread!
I also wonder how our age ( sorry all of us late 30-40 somethings) but i know like R and L i need a lot less KCal during a wko than i once did.

Keep smiling.

BethanyRuns said...

Hey! I was googling around and came upon your blog... also I attended the USAT cert in Charlotte this weekend but I don't think we met.

Anyhow I thought Bobs presentation and thoughts on metabolic efficiency were really interesting and supported some things I have seen with certain individuals who seem to do great on less cals carbs etc. Can't wait to hear which presenter you hated... I have some ideas but maybe you'll post about it.

Ciao!

Anonymous said...

Mary - Does the training provide any recommendations about boundaries in regard to nutrition training as I'm assuming the majority of attendees are not actually nutritionists? Just curious... I would imagine it could get tricky if a coach were to go too deep into this area without a degree to back up their recommendations. I would love to attend something like that. If you ever go to any classes not specifically geared toward your certifications, let me know and I may join you.
Rose

Ange said...

just fyi on Bob Seebohar

www.fuel4manceblog.blogspot.com

If anyone is interested in reading more about him.

Marit C-L said...

Hey Mary! Interesting topics of discussion here - the nutrition debate is always an interesting one, and I don't think there is one "right" answer... it totally varies on the individual and the distance racing, etc. Totally not helpful, I know :) But its hard to find that "right" answer - especially as we age and our needs change. Like Julia said... I love my bread... :) So there's that bit of 'how much are you willing to sacrifice?' and is it worth it in the end? Again - totally on the individual for that one...

Glad that you're feeling better!

Oh - The Glass Castle was great! I also LOVED "The Help" by Kathryn Stocket. Really a great read! Enjoy!

Amanda said...

i appreciate the way you always question everything. and i look forward to hearing of your additional findings.

Regina said...

I hope you mother-in-law is ok.

Sounds like a nice trip you had. I have a friend who is a low carb, maybe even no carb fanatic. He makes his living on writing books about it and has a strength training business too here in NYC. If you google "Fred Hahn" you'll see him. I'm with you though. I have all sorts of questions about that. I did the whole Atkins thing back in the day and lost a ton of weight, and while I know this is advocating something slightly different....I just don't know. FWIW.

mjcaron said...

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I was just saying this morning that it's so easy to eat too much the day before and the morning of the marathon for people who (like me) have difficulty digesting large amounts of food in an attempt to be as carbo-loaded as possible. I have run into serious problems eating too much before a race.