Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mary the Grouch

I have a t-shirt of Oscar. It's lime green and sort of scratchy. It doesn't say anything. Oscar's face says it all.

This morning I should have donned that t-shirt.

I opted for Snoopy instead, sleeping on his doghouse and dreaming of hearts and x's and o's in sparkly letters. My Snoopy t-shirt is from the kids' section of Old Navy, and was purchased when having a girls' day with Jordan and Lara. We were looking for turtlenecks for Jordan that day, because apparently the cool girls are wearing turtlenecks right now. We didn't find turtlenecks, so instead we all  got Snoopy shirts with sparkles, which are much cooler than turtlenecks if you ask me. But I'm not a third grader. I just wear t-shirts made for third graders.

Anyway, my Snoopy shirt, purchased in a fit of youthful giggling with my girls, isn't a fit shirt for today. It's gray out again, and the ground is that murky, sodden swamp green of March. It's the kind of morning where I woke up and realized there was no more milk, and so I put chocolate Ensure into my coffee. It's the kind of morning on which my youngest came downstairs proudly dressed in a sundress and sandals, giving me the choice of being a bitch by making her change (draining her of her pride), or getting looks in the grocery store b/c a good mom wouldn't let her daughter out in July attire when it's 30 degrees out.  It's the kind of morning where the kids keep screaming at each other, You're not the boss of me! which then descends into an argument about who gets the most attention, and each ends up stomping and screaming that Mom loves ____ better.

and on which I put my head into my arms and think loudly to myself Just shut the fuck up! which isn't what a  mom, who loves all of her kids desperately and equally, is supposed to think.

So I'm on my third cup of coffee (with chocolate Ensure), and hoping that will snap me out of this place.
And you know, I'm writing about this so you'll know that you're not the only one in a crappy mood. And if you're in a good mood, well--fuck you.

I JEST.
In a bad mood kind of way.
____________________________
Today I was supposed to be in a swim meet, but it was canceled due to low enrollment. I was planning on swimming the 100 fly--as well as the 200IM, 100free, 100 back and 100 breast. But I was most pumped for the fly. I think I can do it under 1:15 if I don't fall apart on the last length.

But now I won't find out.

I know I could just dive off the blocks and time myself. But it's not the same. I may do it anyway.  In a couple weeks I have another meet, but in this one I'm just swimming the 1650. I'm excited for that too, but the problem I have with the 1650 is that it means something. You know? It can be translated into a measure of possible swimming success or failure at any triathlon distance.  However, the 100 fly means nothing for our sport. It's a challenge--but whether I do well at it or not is in no way a measure of how well I will perform in the swim at IM or 70.3.

Yesterday Jordan swam in the final "championship" meet of the season. She placed third out of 12 kids in the 25 fly (8 and under) with a time of 23.8, and she was 8/67 in the 25 backstroke, finishing in 25.8. I think I was most proud, though, that she was selected to anchor the age 8-18 medley relay. The other three girls were 13. She looked liked a six-year-old lining up with them, but she held her own, stayed strong, and helped them to win the whole thing. She's pretty good under pressure. She swam 19 seconds for the 25 free in that relay, which is a P.R. for her.

I love to compete. I think I may like watching my kids compete even more, though. It doesn't matter how they do. I just well up with this enormous pride--that is MY child, and she has worked so hard, and can do this amazing thing.

This morning after I completely lost it on all three kids and told them to give me 15 minutes to myself  PLEASE, she (Jordan) went to the kitchen and made melted marshmallow, graham cracker, peanut butter and chocolate syrup swirls. She gave them to the kids, and left one for me on the counter.

I'm pretty sure I don't deserve her.
The irony is that she believes I love my other two kids more.

Weird how that is, and hard for me to understand.

My next post will be full of vim and force, b/c being Oscar can only last so long. Right?

17 comments:

Ewa said...

Sending some sunshine and cheers your way to brighten things up.

Coffee with Ensure. Gotta try that.

Ange said...

omg Mary. I am in such a rotten rotten rotten mood today too!!! I NEED OSCAR!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe you wrote this. While there are a few differences ( I am lacking a sparkly snoopy shirt) your morning is remarkably familar. Except, I am still finding disgusting evidence of a ngiht up with an 8 y.o. throwing up after eating out at two meals...gross food = grosser vomit. (is that a word) I was going to blog too but started at my page growling and crying and didnt' know where to start. I have to run a hard 10 miles (hard at end) and I am not sure I can do it. Can you fax me your sparkly snoopy shirt so I can wear it while I run to feel better.
SMile freind. :) :) We will survive this. xoxo

Ange said...

me again.
wanted to say 1) awesome job to Jordan and what a total sweetheart to make you all treats. :o)
2) an idea: next time you're in Maine...you and I go to a pool, start from blocks and race ourselves through 100 fly. we'll get your sub 1:15--promise

Kristina said...

Thank you. I hate today, too. Sucks the meet was canceled when you would've trounced that small field. See ya tomorrow, Grouch buddy.

Stacie said...

Rotten mood Mommies unite, I say!!! Lost my running journal. Can't find it. Garmin wouldn't turn on. Solved that one. It's grey and depressing outside. Cabin fever. 'Nuff said. Damnit I really want to make an entry in my journal. For craps sake..............

John said...

What a sweetheart!

Michelle Simmons said...

Hey, at least you're not the goalie for the USA Hockey Team right now... ;)

Running and living said...

Oh, Jordan is so sweet! I sense an older child syndrome here (in a good way!). Hope your day will get better! Oh, and I think no matter how hard you try, kids are still going to think you love the other one more. No worries, this stage will pass!

Regina said...

"..and if you are in a good mood, fuck you!" I love it! that really made me laugh out loud, really. Yesterday I was really pissy. A 5:30 am call from work sent hubby to Chile and me scrambling for a sitter for Sunday morning at 7 so I could go race. Pissy!

Your daughter is amazing (as I am sure all your kids are). I only have the one (and plan to keep it that way), but like you, I am pretty sure I don't deserve him either.

Buck up little camper (or as I tell my son, don't be such a pouty muffinhead..yeah, it doesn't work on him either)

Il Bruce said...

When life gives you lemons make MOCHA! Sort of.

Nega Coach and I were riding in your neighborhood yesterday (or so he said, I had no idea where I was). We should have stopped by. He can brighten up any day.

(my word veri id crabil)

donna furse said...

seriously, a 100 fly at 1:15, don't punish me, its like telling me you'll do a 1:15 breaststroke while I finish my 100 free at 1:15, your killing me. Anyway, we all have these days and I think it makes us better in the end, kids really know how to push our buttons but they also know how to make us smile. Ensure and coffee has got me worried for you but whatever floats your GI tract my friend. Lots of smiles your way.

Adrienne said...

Mary, you are allowed to be grouchy.... and your post was actually really sweet.... See, it is not all that bad!

Nicole said...

...I have a "Grumpy" dwarf shirt for the exact same reason...it even makes me feel less grumpy when I put it on!!

trailmomma said...

Late to party but wanted to say THANK GOD other mothers think "Shut F Up" in their heads too . . . and I am known for putting myself in a time out. Adults need time outs too. Hope things have improved and your little Jordan is just a sweetheart.

mjcaron said...

Great. You just told me that Jordan can kick my ass. Thanks. lol. JK.. it's ok. Really..

Yes, you and Ange have had similar posts recently just on different days. What's the matter with you two? :))) JK again. I know we all have our days. Sorry to hear your meet was cancelled. Bummer man!

Pining for Pinterest said...

You had me cracking up with your post!! I hope you are having a better day :-)

Kate Parker said...

We (my husband and I) actually say the out loud "STFU" to the kids.

Although, we sing it really high and really fast, so it is unintelligible.

To the kids.

We just crack up...seems to help lighten the "STFU" mood.

You're not alone.