Monday, January 17, 2011

Holding Steady

The kids and Andy were  home last Wednesday during our Nor'Easter, and then home half of Thursday. And then we had the weekend. And today is MLK day-so no work or school. Tomorrow we are expecting bad weather again. My daytime peace has been disrupted! (I'm so spoiled...)

The result is that I've been rather discombobulated.   My attention is all over the place; I seem unable to accomplish anything of consequence. I DID get in my training this week despite the amount of time my lovely family was at home.  I squeezed in runs during Jordan's two day swim meet.  I watched Scooby Do re-runs with my kids while riding the trainer. I swam and did yoga before anyone was awake.

And today I got out of the house for a long walk in the woods with the pups. (I thank my wonderful husband for allowing me the respite! Not that I asked. I kinda just left.... :)

The woods were cold and still and lonely and  the snow was deep. We lost the trail a few times, but that made it all the better.

Ernie and Hazel find the trail head.
but the trail was easily lost.
Hazel certainly did not mind losing the trail, of course...

I also spent a good chunk of the weekend at Jordan's swim meet in Milford. We arrived for warm up at 7 am on Saturday, and she didn't have her first event until 9:45, so I got in a nice, butt cold 10 mile run while I waited. Milford is an hour away by car from where we live, but   knew the roads well since I ride there frequently. It was actually quite cool to run on roads that I have only ever ridden on. 

Then it was back to the hot pool to watch Jordan swim!

She's getting more and more fun to watch. Here she competes in the  200 IM.
And here she is finishing the 200 breaststroke.

Here is a closer shot, just cause I know you are fascinated!

And here she is with her friend Kate. They write all over their bodies to create tattoos... who knows why. It is cool.  Jordan is the one with her back to the camera.

I am working on a post that involves a discussion of a book I just read called Sperm Wars: The Science of Sex. I  tell you this only because I have been so boring lately in my writing, and I don't want you to give up on me just yet. I do have some somewhat unsavory and controversial things to say. They are just percolating right now-getting ready to be spewed forth... not to be too graphic or anything.

12 comments:

Running and living said...

We are only supposed to get 1.5 inches tomorrow, that is nothing, right? You are my here for watching Scooby Doo while on the trainer. And your kids are awesome for putting up with the trainer noise; my kid screams and tells me to stop, even though the bike is quiet. Jordan looks like an awesome swimmer. And I love the tattoos:)

Joanne said...

Such cute pups.
Great idea to make your waiting time for the swim meet some quality run time.
Good luck to your daughter in her swim meets. My hubby is trying to perfect his stroke for triathlon training. Swimming isn't easy.

JohnP said...

Nah, it sounds like I'll just wait for the movie to cum out. I'll pass on that book thank you.

lol

donna furse said...

I absolutely watch scooby doo while on the trainer, my 4 yr loves nothing else. Swim meets are definitely crazy and way to long, I only wish I could leave during them to do something like a long run but unfortunately my son tracks me down and doesn't want me to leave. I gotta like the love this probably won't last forever. Keep up the good work.

Ange said...

we used to write all over our bodies too!! Remember?? Jordan Does look great in the water!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, your little one is such a studette! She looks awesome in the water. I wish my folks had gotten me into athletics when I was a kid.

Adrienne said...

I am impressed that you were able to get a run in while at a swim meet!

WilsonDouglas said...

Jordan looks intent! I am looking forward to your perspective on Baker's book and evolutionary logic! I no longer trust anyone.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the writing on the body idea!!!!!!!!

mjcaron said...

Looks like an awesome walk with your dogs. Kudos for getting in your 10 miler in Milford :). There are some good back roads out there that I've been on as well.

Unknown said...

Hey Mary - I'm a new follower. :)

Love the girls writing on each other - I totally did that as a kid. And yep, we were so cool! :)

Anonymous said...

I wish we could take our dogs out in the wilderness to explore! Unfortunately with the sheer amount of snow right now, they can hardly pee in our backyard without suffocating. The snow is tall than them, so they have to stretch their necks up above the snow to breathe while walking. HA!