Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year

I haven't written for a bit.
It's not that I haven't wanted to write; it's that I have been strangely conflicted on what to write.

Writing comes most easily to me when I have nothing to say. How ironic is that? The last couple of weeks I have had a lot on my mind, and that has made it hard to put forth anything of interest or substance on this here blog.


On New Year's morning I went for a run with my friend and athlete, Maria, and another friend, Matt. We went 13 miles (okay, Maria, I know you did 14... :). It's the longest I've run in a very long time and it felt great. We weren't fast, but steady. And the conversation was good. I always love to start the new year with a long run or a race. It beats waking up hung over, that is for sure. I have always felt like celebrating the first day of the new year with a massive hangover is depressing (which is not to say I have not started many a year that way...) But still, what does having a hangover say about the year to come? It is not an auspicious beginning. Not at all.

So what about the year to come....
I have always liked the resolution part of New Year's. The problem is that I rarely adhere to my resolutions. This is likely because they are all of the same general variety: I will be a better mom, wife, coach, friend, person.... I will go faster. I will work harder. I will eat perfectly. I will be perfect. etc.

I realize making such goals is rather.... stupid. What does it look like to be a better mother? And why always BETTER?.... It is always about being better. Harrumph.

I should start framing things differently... like my resolution for 2011 is to be even more selfish than last year. Or... more specifically my goal is to buy more clothing/bathing suits/yoga outfits for myself, get more massages, and to allow myself more snuggle time with the dogs on the couch while reading books and ignoring my lovely little children. Or... oh boy... this is getting good. I will have at least one sweet  treat every day all year. Or, I will allow myself to buy two books a month at Barnes and Nobles, just CAUSE. Or, I will go out to eat with my friends at least once every other week all year long, OR how about , --- I will say the word FUCK every day for a year... or how about I will masturbate--both metaphorically and physically-- at least once a day all year?

Now.... those are some resolutions I could really get in to....


So, this blog is about triathlon, so what are my resolutions there?

One big goal I have is to stop asking myself to outperform-- myself.
I want to be with wherever I am... just be there... and not feel crappy about myself for not being ahead of where I actually am.

I'm also resolving to change things up a bit in my training. What I have been doing-- well, it's worked. When I started triathlon I was an average age grouper. Now am an above average age grouper. I am pleased about that--definitely pleased--and I owe my betterment mostly to my coach, Jen. She catapulted me... from average-ville  to above average-ville. She helped me believe I could be up there with the super fast girls--that I could be in the mix. And then she trained me so I could be.
She worked very hard for me. And I love and appreciate her for that.

But for the last few months I have been antsy. I have wanted to break out and try something new... I even tried coaching myself for a stretch to see what would happen! (I ended up having to take 10 weeks off... so that didn't work so well, I guess....) Anyway. I have been fidgety. I want to know more, learn more, expand my horizons... etc. and so on. And that requires movement. Movement can be scary. It can also help you to grow.

So, in 2011 I need to work triathlon from a different angle. And so I am going to work with a new coach this season.
I miss Jen already. That is not easy.
But I am really excited about what's happening next.

Happy New Year.

9 comments:

czechchick15 said...

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh ... welcome to the team! :) I have been working with Jorge Martinez of PBMC since July! We definitely gotta try to do some rides/runs together at some point!

Michelle Simmons said...

Love your resolutions. :)

Good luck with the new coach! I think switching it up sometimes can be a really good thing. I am LOVING my new one and think hiring him was the best decision I've made in a long time. :)

Carlee said...

I like the goal of not asking yourself to outperform yourself...easier said than done!!! Great goal, nevertheless.

solobreak said...

I guess this means we can't go out for a beer. You only get half a beer.

What about Andy? Is he going to race bikes for realz this year?

GetBackJoJo said...

@Solobreak. Very funny... ;)
Not sure about Andy... he is signed up for Timberman right now, but so far this year he is really into yoga! We shall see....

Kim said...

i have heard great things about kurt - i mean he has to be great bc he works with jorge who is on BTT :)

yay for a masturbating resolution!

Running and living said...

I typically don't like resolutions, but love yours. I feel like I am already fulfilling most:)

Yay for a new coach! Change is good. You learn, and you move on to learn some more.

Running is always better than drinking in my opinion.

Happy New Year, Mary! Let it be as you'd like it to be.

Petraruns said...

The. best. resolutions - and an answer to all the unattainable ones... I love it. You're going to have fun this year, definitely. I know what you mean about this constant driving and pushing and forcing and changing - it's exhausting! Go out there and do the things you WANT to do. You will be happier for it.

John said...

Once a day? I think I'll go buy stock in Astro Glide. :)

Good luck with the new coach. Hope he takes you to the levels you want and deserve to be at.