Saturday, January 8, 2011

2010 in Workout Numbers

Each year I like to add up all the numbers. I find it inspiring to read others' numbers, and satisfying to view my own.

One little note: I read several bookish blogs--blogs written by reading obsessed women who put my annual reading volume to shame.  Do you know that they play the same numbers games as we do? How many books read, how many reviews, how many starred reviews, top ten lists in each genre... I just find that amusing. We love to document our obsessions, huh?

Anyway, back to triathlon.

Even including those 10 weeks of extremely low volume my numbers for 2010 are pretty good, I think.

Some of you hard core bikers will find my biking miles rather paltry. My runner friends will likely be surprised at how few miles I now run compared to them. Both my non-swimming and swimming friends will likely find my swimming excessive given it's not my primary sport.

And now.... drumroll..... I know you can barely stand the wait....


In 2010 I worked out for 606 hours (25.25 days) and I traveled 5,624 miles.
TaDah! (Go Mary-- you obsessed and insane woman! The crowd roars... )

I swam 376,550 yards (214 miles)  in 123 hours.
I biked 4,232 miles in 253 hours.
I ran 1178 miles in 165 hours.
I did strength work and yoga for 65 hours.

I completed 8 road races (a 16 miler, a 10 miler, a 30K, two 10Ks, two 5ks, and one 5.2 mile race)
I swam in 4 swim meets and at them I swam... a lot of events, but most notably a 1650 at one meet (which I had never done before!) and the 100 yard fly and the 100 meter fly at two others (last done when I was 17...))
I raced 7 triathlons (1 full IM, 2 half IM, 1 oly and 3 sprints)
I raced in my first bike time trial.
This year, for the first time, I also won two triathlons. That is cool.

Okay! Enough patting myself on the back. pat pat.
Onto 2011! Yahoo!

15 comments:

Ewa said...

Speechless

Running and living said...

I love numbers, too. Makes you realize how much time and effort went into your year! You had a great one, Mary! Be proud!

Emilie said...

damn girl. that's awesome.

Swimming for ME said...

That is a lot of swim miles. I only swam 168!
I think it is interesting to note what percent of your total waking hours you spent working out. 606/365x16 = 10.4% of your waking hours!!

Keith said...

Here, let me join the line patting you on the back.

Hey! That wasn't me patting your butt.

GetBackJoJo said...

@Alina. I was honestly surprised at how high my swim volume was. Partially it's because during those 10 weeks I basically only swam and did yoga, so my swim volume went higher, and my bike/run lower -- than was originally planned.
@Keith. Keith gets fresh! haah!

mjcaron said...

Holy mackerel.. I think you'r a nut case. :) In a good way of course.

Maggs said...

Every year I say I'm going to keep track of my workouts so I can add them all up at the end. I never do. but I can tell you how many books I read last year. An embarrassingly low number. Hope to change both of those things this year.

Jean, aka Mom said...

Mary,
I LIKE reading numbers, dates, etc.
They don't usually make me so tired. Or speachless.

Pahla said...

Holy moly! I'm hoping to hit that kind of volume when I add up 2009, 2010 AND 2011. Nicely done!

Ange said...

tons of work there girl!!! great season for sure!

Anonymous said...

Wow, thanks for posting this. I'm pretty sure that I won't be hitting 4,000 bike miles this year, but I know to get faster at triathlon I need to push my number closer to yours... it's more the cutting back on the running that I'm not so interested in!

RW said...

Every once in a while I fantasize about us training together, given how close we live to one another...seeing your annual numbers reminds me why this is likely to never happen. AWESOME!

kerrie said...

i have absolutely no clue what i do, even on a daily basis. i have a general idea - like i ran somewhere in between 5-8 miles but i severely the ability to track it all. to me, that is much more impressive that the actual numbers themselves(which, on their own, are impressive).

My Life said...

I love it. I should do my own sport stats too.. stop me obsessing over food so much ! Good luck with your goals for 2011.