Thursday, February 28, 2008

Effing High Schoolers!

It is between seasons for the high school boys and girls. They are currently gearing up for their spring seasons. The gym is a MOB SCENE. You must remember that I do one of my workouts in the hour following school before I get my kids. We're talking about 3:15-4:15. Prime high school hours.

You may recall that I have started strength training. I basically like strength training. I like the idea that I'm getting more buff. Nothing says "I'm going to kick your ass" like a few muscles. But I digress. Back to the high schoolers.

The girls are harmless enough. They get on the ellipticals or stairmasters and rock out to their tunes. Some are clearly runners and kick my ass on the treadmill. Mostly they are benign.

Not so the boys--.

Here are a few things that annoy me about high school boys lifting weights in my gym:

  • They HOG all of the equipment.
  • They act as if they own the place.
  • The leave 100 lb discs on the squat machine that I can't lift off on my own.
  • They high five each other and are really loud and like to grunt.
  • They smell. Sometimes like sweat, but mostly of cologne and sweat combined.
  • They won't look you in the eye if you are a middle-aged woman. They pretend you are invisible.
Those are the major things. Mostly I just don't like that I'm the only woman invading "their" space.
These boys also make me wonder. I wonder things like--

  • How many of these kids are on the juice? Call me crazy, but if my son was benching as much as some of these guys bench and had zits all over his back and was big as a truck, I'd be raiding his bedroom for the hypodermic.
  • What sport are these guys playing? Can't be track--they're too big. Can't be lacrosse--these aren't pretty boys. Is it baseball? Why do you need to be big as a truck to play baseball?
  • What do they think of me? Do they know I'm a serious athlete, or do they just see me as yet another middle-aged mom? and more importantly, WHY DO I CARE?
Okay. My rant is over.

I'm very sore from lifting. I wonder if it will really help and I will really look and feel stronger when all is said and done.

The one thing I really dislike is the whole waiting 3 minutes between sets thing. Argh! I don't have three minutes to be hanging out picking my ass! So I never wait that long. Not even close. This makes me wonder if I am effing things up so much that the strength training won't work.

I'm done now!
_________________
In other news, I printed out a few pics of Angelina Jolie because I like her hair. I wanted to show them to Martha to see if she could cut and color it similarly. My hub finds the pictures and what does he say?

and I quote:
"Do you think your hairdresser could give you her body too?"

I kicked him. jerk.

7 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Did you kick him where the sun don't shine? Cause that would have been better.

Although..it is a funny comment. ;)

Thankfully most of the hs'ers at my rec center are pretty tame - but I only encounter them in the pool. And...they can pretty much kick my ass anyday.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, the gym is packed with high schoolers in the afternoon. The weird part for me is that having sons who are 15 and 17, I usually see their friends at the gym. It's more of a social hang-out time for them. Our son will ask to go to the gym in the evenings and we're thinking...oh, how nice he wants to stay fit. But, I think they enjoy hanging out in the hot tub with friends the most.

Michelle said...

When I used to work out at night, I'd run into the obnoxious college guys. I don't miss that at all. I love that I'm able to go mid-morning now, when all the other moms are there.

triguyjt said...

gotta admit ..when i wasin high school i lifted in a basement gym at the y. it was smelly and dusty and no one put away anything...
and, back then..it was just about 100 percent men.
i much prefer today with the strong women lifting

Judi said...

You are so cute - you say the eff word as much as I say the real thing on my blog. LOL.

High schoolers, many of those guys at my gym too. But not too many on juice.

Big muscles are good. Keep lifting.

AtlantaMom said...

Ask your husband if he thinks he can end up with Brad Pitt's body...

twit!

Juicy high schoolers - football and wrestling.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I was out running a couple of weeks ago with some friends of mine and Mira asked if we thought adults were as "scared of" us when we were teenagers. It really is a strange trend what you see in kids these days.

On a semi related note, I was getting groceries years ago and the bag guy was an older gentleman with a USS Arizona hat on. I knew he had been at Pearl Harbor when it was attacked and had served in the Pacific in WWII. These kids in line were mocking him because he was slow. He lead a more full life than they ever will. So don't worry about about what they think. You are the one making a difference. Keep up the good work.