Monday, February 18, 2008

My B12 Shot : Performance Enhancement at its Best


Meet the Black Stallion. She's a 2008 Felt B12. She's my shot in the ass. 

The Black and I met this weekend at Fast Splits. It was love at first sight. Andy and I stopped at Fast Splits just to look. (of course.) We had just dropped off the kids at the grandparents so we could get a day and a night away. We were feeling pretty good. The day was before us, we were staying at the Westin in town, and we had nothing on the agenda except for eating and sleeping. 

When we walked into Fast Splits I saw her immediately. We pulled her off the rack and looked at her tenderly. She's so small she looks like she could be made for a child. I've wanted a tri-bike for exactly this reason. Road bikes are never made with 650 c. wheels; only the tri-bikes can be. When you are only 5'2", having a road bike is therefore problematic. I currently have a 47 cm Cannondale R700 road bike with 700c wheels, and she's not really easy for me to handle because of her wheel size. The Black is 46 cm, and has the smaller tires. I anticipate being able to handle her better. Plus, together I know we will be blazing fast. She's all carbon fiber. She's got fantastic components. She's very beautiful. I have even saddled her up with a new Butterfly seat. I get to take her home on Saturday after a fitting. I'm one happy girl. __________________ 

 Our night away was awesome. I didn't realize how much I needed sleep until this weekend. We went to bed at 8:30 on Friday night and slept until 8:00 the next morning. The kids got up a 6, of course, so we feel lucky that the house wasn't burned down when we finally woke. I got up, shoveled in some breakfast and rode Little Red 70 minutes on the trainer. It was a very groggy 70 minutes. We showered, packed up the kids and the dogs, and soon, we were temporarily free! 

 I need not say I love my babies, but you know, when you have three of them you just don't get away that much... We didn't buy the Black on Saturday. We thought it best to "think" about it. Well, Andy thought it best. I would've bought her right then had I had my way. Anyway, after Fast Splits we drove into town, did a little window shopping at furniture stores, checked in, went to our room and TOOK A NAP. That's right. After sleeping nearly 12 hours the night before, I wanted a nap. I was still queasy. (Okay, really I am STILL queasy--it's the sickness that will never go away--and no, I'm not pregnant. absolutely positive.) 

After our nap we went to dinner at a little restaurant down the street. I had swordfish and wine. Very tasty. It would've been even more tasty if I had felt 100% better. We then went to the hotel bar, had another drink, and then... etc. :) We were asleep by 11 and didn't get up until 8:30. I know you young ones sans kids out there are thinking we are super lame, and we are, but all of those with a few rugrats at home know what I'm talking about! Sleep, baby! It's better than a night on the town! Sunday morning we went to the gym in the hotel, ran for a little over an hour, had a HUGE brunch, and then WENT BACK TO BED for another nap! 

On the way home I convinced Andy that the Black needed to be purchased that minute. I was beginning to fear someone else might take her home. I know that there is more than one Felt B12 in the world, but she was MINE, you see. She had to be mine. So we went back to Fast Splits. And I test rode her. And we got her. And now she's all mine. Can you believe it? Now if I could just get rid of this lingering nausea...

 The benefit of being sick to your stomach for over a week is that although I have not confirmed this, I think I've taken off a few pounds. I imagine this will be temporary, because my body really likes to be a very specific weight, and she always kind of GOES there. You know? But it's nice for today. 

I got on the trainer for 2.5 hours this morning. I was supposed to do that workout on Saturday, but it didn't figure into the whole weekend plan. My kids played at the foot of the bike while I rode endlessly, and kept bugging me to try the Nano. It's 2:45 p.m. and my son is still in his Cars pajamas! I love holidays. Hope yours was good too.

14 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Oooohhhhh... very cool! Congrats on the new bike!

And for going to bed early...I'll be in bed by 9:30PM tonight...granted I'm working against a 6 hour jet lag thing. ;)

Michelle said...

Woohoo - for all that sleep, and for the bike!!!!!!

triguyjt said...

what does the cannondale think of the black stallion??? jealous????

i would wrestle with a decision to buy forever...man you are decisive

Ange said...

Wooohooo!!!! Hot Bike girlfriend!!! LOVE IT! I tried the Same one the other day!!! (aero bars too close for me...hurt my shoulder) But, it's a beautiful fast fast ride. I'm psyched for you!
Also so glad you had such a good weekend.
A

Pam said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I got my bike at Fast Splits too and I am so feeling you right now. What is better than a pretty new fast bike!?? This is so great!!!!!!

kodiacbear said...

She is SOO beautiful!! May you have many, many hours of fun on her--very soon to be OUTSIDE, not on the trainer!

kodiacbear said...

Oh, yeah, about the day/night away with no kids--SLEEP it is, baby!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that bike is gorgeous!!! I'm so jealous, but happy for you :)

I would love to get a tri bike some day. I love my road bike...I think I'll try putting some aero bars on it this year.

Glad you had a nice restful vacation. I'm impressed with your workouts you do even when feeling sick!

Kim said...

yay yay yay for black stallion! mr. black stallion and mr. blue thunder can be pals!!! i cant wait for them to meet!

i am very jealous of your weight loss. i cant shake any pounds these days!

Jamie Anderson said...

I don't know much about bikes, but that one sure is mean looking! Cool beans, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Oh yeah, and to answer your question... I went to the University of Florida. I forget where Natasha went (U of Vermont?). But she lives in Vermont, does a lot of adventure racing and until recently was a rep for La Sportiva, so that may potentially be why she looks familiar.

SM said...

Congrats on the new Ride!!!

Rachel said...

Crap! That is a SWEEET ride. I have bike envy.

AtlantaMom said...

Love the new bike. She's "gawjus"

p.s. Because I'm divorced I get a few mini vacations a year - meaning the kids are at their dad's and I get to SLEEEEEEEEPPPPP.

Judi said...

I found you on TJ's blog. Nice Felt. My b/f built me a TT bike this winter and my frame is a 2006 Felt - I love it.