Tuesday, February 26, 2008

When it's Time to Change


you've got to re-arrange. 

Sha-na-na na na na na... na na na na naaaaaaaaa. 

I'm feeling it. It's time for a new DYE JOB! 

You may remember that I mentioned that I have had many a different shades of haircolor in my years on this planet. I have an appointment this weekend with Martha, my fabulous stylist who I've been seeing for years now. I think I'm going to keep it long, dye it a darker brown without any red in it, and add a blond streak to the front. Maybe something like this: The hub. will groan, of course, like he usually does when I do something different with my hair. He especially dislikes it when it looks fake. In my mind the point isn't to look natural, though. Snorefest. The goal is to doing something fun and fake, because soon I will be wrinkly and hunched over, and what fun is it to have dark hair with a blond streak then? Can you say AGE CRISIS??? 

I've been in one for a year now, ever since I stopped nursing my youngest little cub. I feel like I'm on top of the hill looking down, and soon I will start skidding down uncontrollably until I hit, well-- the grave. Okay. A little morbid. On that note, I will bring up the other thing my husband hates me to talk or think about it: getting a tattoo. I want one. I plan to get one. Why not? When you're married to a guy you know you want to be with forever and so you'll never scam again and you know you aren't having more kids, and you know that you're just getting older every day, why the hell not? What's stopping me? Propriety? Image? Who cares? I've got nothing to lose. The hub. points out that our kids as teenagers will likely not want a mom with crazy hair and a tattoo, but really, my kids as teenagers likely will not like anything about me, right? So what does it matter? The question is--what kind of tattoo? Well an M-Dot, of course! (**note: I mean only after I actually complete an Ironman. That won't be for another year or so...) Here's the hub's objection to the M-Dot. It's a logo. It's a company logo. It's a company that makes money. Do I want to be an advertisment for Ironman? My feeling is that everyone in the know KNOWS what an M-Dot means, so does it matter that it's a corporate logo? And if I didn't get an M-Dot, what should I get? And where? 

 I'm interested in all thoughts. I know some of you have an M-Dot tattoo, and some (many) of you have completed an Ironman or two or three and did not get one and never would.

11 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Ah, life's too short. You want it, get it! My buddy Stephen has the M-Dot on his calf. Looks cool. I have a Tibetan eternal knot on my upper-middle back. Don't regret it one bit and like it a lot, but at the same time, don't have a desire for another.

Anonymous said...

Uhhhh...the Mdot discussion again. That's it. I'm taking away the Computrainer.

signed, hub.

Ange said...

Hey Mary!!! I say go for it!!! :) But you know, I'm biased. I'm not 100% sold on Mdot but you should go for a tatoo. And you can put it somewhere discreet.

SM said...

If and when I complete an Ironman, I will be getting the Mdot tatoo. No question in my mind about that. If your Hub is against the Mdot which he does has a good point about it being a company logo, maybe you could think about some cool combo image of swim/bike/run. Just my 2 cents.

Kim said...

i think ill get the mdot tat on my foot after the season is over, so i think you should go for it!

be proud, show the world youre a kickass triathlete! :)

or you could get the road runner as a tat since youre so damn speedy!

Anonymous said...

What ever you get, it has to be your decision and something meaningful to you.

About 6 years ago, I decided to get a tattoo. I went through a "rough patch" and wanted to get something to symbolize the new, stronger me who got through it. I didn't tell anyone (not even the hubby). I went by myself, got the tat, came home and had a shot of tequila on my back porch. That is one of my favorite memories, and I don't regret my tattoo one bit! After the initial shock, my husband really liked it :)

Judi said...

I have tattoos and I have had tattoos removed even. I think if you want the M dot, go for it. I myself like the pink cyclist on my blog. I think she looks cool, I'd have her tattooed on my back somewhere. You might also think about the date you complete IM. You could have that tattooed on you. Good luck with that!

Steve Stenzel said...

Kelly Clarkson!!

And do the race for the tattoo...

Michelle said...

If I ever completed an Ironman, I'd have no problem whatsoever with advertising it to the entire world!

Crumbs said...

what about the 104.2 oval (like the euro stickers you see on cars?)
Still says Ironman without the TM.

Swimming for ME said...

Nooooooooooooo......dooonnn'ttt dooo iiiiitt!