Thursday, February 7, 2008

Snacks, the Dogs, and Nutrition

I packed better snacks today.
I gave up my good intentions as soon as I got home (see last post) and had access to food that actually satiates hunger.
Just so you know, though, when I was discussing my snacks yesterday I meant that they were exactly that, snacks. Some people asked me if that was all I ate at work for the whole day. I was like, Are you kidding me? That doesn't include breakfast or lunch! No way could I go all day just on raw veggies and cottage cheese! That's like scary and insane. No, my friends, I'm just talking SNACKS. Anyway.

I'm not working out this week, as I mentioned in my last post, and as a result I'm feeling punchy, out-of-control, and irritable. I really have nothing interesting to say. I felt like posting anyway.

I'm gonna tell you about my dogs.
They are old. They are smelly.

Linus is the yellow one. His breath could kill you. I'm not lying. He opens his mouth, and you could be like on the other side of the room and you have to ask, Did someone just fart? You start accusing everyone, and then you realize it's just Linus's breath. His teeth are rotting inside his mouth. That's the problem.

Linus is also completely deaf. He hasn't always been deaf. It's a recent development that has to do with his being ancient and the fact that there is so much brown shit in his ears that you can't dig it out. It's kind of neat. You can shout right into his face and he doesn't even blink. Speaking of not blinking, Linus can beat all humans and dogs in staring contests. It's actually quite creepy. He stares -- a lot. Sometimes I wake in the middle of the night, turn over, and he'll be sitting there, just staring at me. I think he might be losing his marbles.

Minna is the chocolate one. She is a royal P.I.T.A. When we let her into our fenced yard she becomes Houdini and escapes--every time. We think she might be magic as well as a P.I.T.A. We can never figure out how she actually gets out. Another way in which she is P.I.T.A. is that she steals the kids' food. She has no mercy. If you leave the kitchen for a minute the food will be gone. She also has a really unattractive wart on her head that is growing larger everyday. It's really nasty. Despite all this we still love her. She's very affectionate when she's not being a P.I.T.A. and she's quite a handsome lab if you aren't skeeved by her wart.

Linus is almost 12 now. Minna will be 10 this June. They were my first babies. They were my first running partners. It will be very hard for me when they are gone.

--------------------
Okay. Enough about dogs.
Back to food. I could do nutritional counseling with Jesse. If I do, however, I might have to give up things like the sausage, egg and cheese on an English, or the cup of sugar I have in my coffee each morning, or the Guiness I treat myself to-- well, a lot. That would be no fun. But is my current "body composition" and my eating habits having a negative effect on my training and racing? That is the question. Is it worth the sacrifice? I'd be interested to hear all input. Who out there is trying nutritionally and seeing benefit? Who is trying and feeling no benefit? Who thinks when you start obsessing about food you've gone too far? (me.)

Just curious.

8 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Cool pics/stories.

As far as nutritional - I'm not sure I'd want to go that far. I'd be guessing if you just wrote down what you ate for a week you'd probably find a way yourself to tweak the nutrition to be healthier.

I'd be afraid that a nutritional person would take the joy out of eating.

Just my two cents.

Flo said...

Okay, the whole nutritional thing sucks. I've been battling it forever. Whatever....

The dogs are cute!!!! Linus looks like my Rocco. Roc will be 13 this year so I can relate to the old smelly thing :)

AtlantaMom said...

I have an old man dog too - complete with the somethingdied breath! I also have a p.i.t.a. dog - a great dane pup. hahaha

I obsess about food/nutrition, but then again, I obsess about my body too. Can you say body dysmorphic disorder? I imagine a good many very athletic women fall into that category, whether or not they want to admit it.

triguyjt said...

linus might lack the dental hygiene, but linus reminds me of my 13 year old springer spaniel, bailey who has gone deaf.
that makes me feel okay since i wear hearing aids myself...

you can yell at both of us and eventually we will respond, although i don't wag my tail wildly.

Kim said...

i love puparoos!!! yours look adorable!!!

yeahhhh the nutrition thing. sucks. gaining 8 pounds in 1 week? also sucks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary,

I am one of Jesse's athletes-have been with him for a year. I know your pain about nutrition. I have fought for a year to get my body composition down. Its really hard. I did drop about 10% of my body fat before IMLP and felt really good but it was HARD! And I put a lot back on during the off season. If you ever want to chat, feel free to contact me. Good Luck!
Donna

Liz B Davis said...

I still remember the day we picked up Linus. He is the sweetest dog and we will always love him, no matter how bad he smells.

Minna is a different story. It seems our girls are just more complicated.

Judi said...

I watch what I eat about 60% of the time. The rest of the time I am eating crap. I gained 5lbs when I met my b/f because he loves to eat as much as me. I love food but I obcess about it all the time.

What works best is staying away from sweets and not eating empty caleries like crackers and chips. Oh, and don't eat past 8pm.