Saturday, March 22, 2008

I Think I'm Covered

One thing I've been stressed about is how I'm going to get my training in this summer. 

I'm taking the kids to Maine for the summer because we are having an addition put onto our house here in MA. (All three kids are in one bedroom. You can see how an addition might be necessary...) 

Anyway. I'm taking the kids and we are staying at my parents'. I contemplated saddling my mom into watching the kids for the 15-20 hours I need to workout--but--well, frankly, that's a shitload of time. Too much time to ask for even from a devoted Gramma. It felt very wrong to assume she'd being willing or able to do that. The hub. will be up each weekend, and so I can get in some workouts then. But during the week it's all me, all the time. 

I put an offer out to my cousin, Lauren, who will graduate from high school in the spring, and to my two sisters and one of my sisters-in-law to see if I could get a bite. I offered a good chunk of change in exchange for 15 hours a week workout time. Lauren took me up on the offer. Thank God! She is a Texan (San Antonio) and she and her dad come to summer with us each year. She's so awesome with my kids and they totally love her. She beautiful, fun, and patient. I'm so psyched! Plus, she lives in the beach house with us, so there's no commuting etc. involved. I feel enormously relieved. My kids can hang at the beach when I'm out on the bike or the ocean or on a run--and I don't have to feel like a slime for sticking them in all day camp or forcing them to stay inside while I do a treadmill or trainer workout. _____________ 

I had an incredible week of training, and I'm SPENT. I've been building little by little, but this week I made a major jump in hours put in. I can't do a long workout on Easter, so I switched my long bike to Good Friday. For that reason the hours and miles are somewhat skewed. (I log from Saturday to Saturday.) I finished my long bike at like 5 p.m. yesterday, which I did it on the trainer because Friday was wicked cold and had gusts of wind up to 50 mph. Then I got up early this morning to do a 9 mile run. It was still cold and windy and my legs felt like absolute lead. I ran with a few friends who are training for Boston and who had to do an 18 miler today. Thank God they had to go long because the pace was slower than usual as a result. 

 By the end of this I felt like I needed to crawl to my car. In other news, my friend Michael, a runner, broke his running streak this week. He ran every freaking day for 6 years, 4 months and 3 days. That's 2,316 days in a row. He averaged 8.77 miles a day for a total of 20,230.5 miles. That's dedication, my friends. In my mind it's an accomplishment of mental and physical toughness that few of us will ever match in our lifetimes. He's the man.

8 comments:

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I am glad you have it all covered with the training this summer. Whose blog would I have to read if you were not training? LOL

Judi said...

How long did you stay on the trainer? I need to start logging my hours I suppose. I rode the trainer a couple weeks ago for 2 hours and my ass was broken for a week. Oh, and a saddle sore. I cannot ride that thing for long.

Glad you got your summer all figured out. It's exciting the season is about to start!!!

Trisaratops said...

Holy smokes...your friend is a MACHINE.

Glad you got the summer stuff worked out! This is such a crazy balancing act we do, huh? I can't even imagine with THREE kids...you are awesome.

Anonymous said...

I missed the one day you arranged your schedule to run on Saturday. Sheeeezzz.. Oh well, I had a great 5k race and so did Michael after taking two days off. Should I be posting this stuff or should I stick to the content of your original post? :)

GetBackJoJo said...

Hi Mel!
You can write whatever you want in a comment. That's the rule. :)
So glad you guys had a good race! I DID pick the wrong Sat. to run with the group, though. Bummer.

Speed Racer said...

Three cheers for Lauren, hip, hip, hooray!!!!!!

The winds were up to 50mph on Friday? I knew they were bad, but that's Florida hurricane bad! Hopefully those trainer days will be over soon.

GetBackJoJo said...

There was probably one gust that was 50 mph and that's it--but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Ange said...

Awesome week Mary!!! Your situation for the summer sounds Great!! I'm happy for you. I can't believe Michael's running streak. Really amazing.