Friday, March 28, 2008

Nutrient Rich and Other Bad Words

I met with Jesse about optimal nutrition on Monday night. The guy knows his nutrition, I'll say that much. Lots of good advice. Hard to follow advice, but good advice.

According to Jesse, this is what is wrong with my current diet:

-too many carbs at the wrong times
-not enough protein
-not enough careful pre, during and post nutrition thoughtfulness
-too much of the wrong kinds of fats

And here I was thinking I wasn't doing so bad....

Well, actually, I knew I had a few major problems with my diet, but I was unwilling to think too much about it. Part of this has to do with my running background. Runners do fuel during workouts, but the ones I know and hang out with pride themselves about not getting too silly and persnickety about it. They love a post-run breakfast with greasy home fries, sausage and coffee. They like a good post-race beer (or ten) as opposed to Endurox. They drink regular Gatorade as opposed to the fancy sports drinks like Accelerade or PowerBar or whatever. This is the culture I come from, and it's also a culture I like and respect.

The problem is, I really want to kick ass in my training and racing. EVERYTHING I read talks about the importance of good nutrition. I felt it was time to start putting forth some effort in this department. Why train more than 10 hours every week if you aren't going to take something important like fueling seriously?

Am I starting to think this way because I'm becoming more of a triathlete than a runner? I think yes. This makes me a tad sad.

Anyway. As we chatted, Jesse ate his "dinner." I know he was going to have some yummy chili after I left (his wife was making it while I was there--made with lean turkey, of course, rather than what I would make it with, hamburger), but as we talked he ate cottage cheese, prunes and walnuts. All I could think was, I can NEVER do this. Kill me now.

In short, here are my must-dos:
  • Fuel before I work out. Often I just jump in the pool or go out for a run in the morning not having eaten. This is bad.
  • Fuel during my workout (esp. when biking and running). I do this, but I guess I have to start using "good" sports beverages as opposed to the Gatorade I buy from the grocery store.
  • Fuel after my workouts, esp. if they last longer than an hour. Sometimes I do this, but not always. I own a big jug of powdered Endurox, but I'm not a huge fan. Guess I need to become one.
  • Give up coffee in favor of green tea. (Yeah right. That one's not at the top of my list yet. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE COFFEE? Okay. I LOVE COFFEE.)
  • More fruits and veggies. Less refined sugar. Easy to say, hard to do.
  • More lean meat, fish and other high protein foods, and start using protein powder in my smoothies. Oh, and start drinking smoothies.
  • No more dark beer. If I'm going to drink it needs to be Mich Light or red wine. Blek. Like with the coffee, I'm not committed to that rule yet. Life is too short to give up coffee and dark beer.
One good thing is that I don't have much weight to lose. Maybe three pounds or so. My body fat is pretty low--something like 16 %--which isn't bad for a woman of my age who's had three kids rather recently. It could be better, but it's not terrible.

-------------------------------------
I had to go three and a half hours on the bike today. I wanted to go outside, but the hub. had a billion totally justifiable things he had to do (like getting the car inspected--that kind of stuff) so I couldn't get outside without the kiddos. I did the workout in three parts--two 1 hour 20 min. sessions on the trainer, and the last part I did at the gym so the kids could play there. (They have this really awesome rec. room with childcare. Gotta love the YMCA.)

Anyway, as I biked away at the gym, sweating everywhere and stinking up the room, I watched this boy. I think he had cerebral palsy, though I'm not sure. He was with two adults, one of whom I think was his dad because they had the same eyes. The adults were helping the boy to sit at the weight machines and lift a little weight. They would carry him from machine to machine. When the boy lifted he would make these very loud roaring noises. It was both distracting and interesting. I couldn't figure out what inspired the roars. Sometimes they were in conjunction with lifting, but sometimes they weren't. Anyway, at the end of his workout, one of the men placed him in a chair very near to my bike, which was at the end of a row, and then he watched him, holding his shoulder, as the other man went off to do something, I don't know what. The boy (he was in his teens--very tall) kept looking at me, but when I caught his eye he would look away. He didn't have control over his body, but his eyes he moved very clearly with purpose.

I know that people with cerebral palsy aren't necessarily mentally disabled. Think Mr. Hoyt's son, or that boy from My Left Foot. I began to wonder what was going through his mind. Was he used to being stared at by people--or by people looking away? Did it bother him that people make the assumption that he is retarded because he doesn't have control of his muscular system? As I thought this I finally caught his eye, and I smiled at him.

A few minutes later, the man came back and the two men together lifted him up. It was then that I noticed the boy had wet his pants. They carried him to his wheel chair, and they left.
And then I began to cry. Isn't that weird? I still can't explain it. I think it may have had to do with thinking about how my children are so healthy and able--how lucky they are and I am.... But it also had to do with my sadness for him, the boy. I'm sure it would be annoying to him that I felt pity and sadness. Was he humiliated that he had wet his pants? Did he know?

I'm so lucky that I can swim, bike, run--
and lift my children, and control my bladder, and everything else I can do that I take for granted every day of my life.

12 comments:

Judi said...

Good post Mary. We ARE lucky, and we should count our blessings every day.

Nutrition - I feel ya. I eat well about 50/50. Sugar is hard but I limit myself to desert 2 days a week. I don't ever have a huge breakfast before a long run but I do drink protein shakes every day. Just a scoop of protein and some water. Stir, gut it down.

And to answer your questions - yes Dominic's pain pills are messing with me.

Ange said...

I would have cried too and I almost cried reading about it. We are so so lucky aren't we.
I'm with ya on the nutrition thing too. If we give 150% to the training, why not hte food? Because food is Fun and a reward in some cases. And you know, that's the wrong attitude. That's my problem. I've tried to adopt the "food is fuel. Nothign more. Nothing less." mantra for years now. Hasn't caught on.
Let's work on this together.
A

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I love my food. I will not give up my dark beer or coffee.

I was getting choked up at the National Marathon this morning. Its the thrill of victory thing I guess. But tell anyone I was getting teary. LOL

TJ said...

Coffee....i gots to have it.
Good luck working out your nutrition. It ain't easy.

Anonymous said...

Coffee and beer...we gotta have some guitly pleasures in life :)
I think that's one of the main reasons I train, so I can eat and drink those yummy things!

My post-ride snack yesterday was a beer and and handful of chips. I have a long way to go with nutrition.

Thanks for sharing the gym story. It was very touching. We are lucky.

Rainmaker said...

Interesting post on nutrition. I'm a bit with you - life is too short to be trying to follow 100 rules. 10 rules I can follow, but more than that it gets too messy and just not worth it.

Speed Racer said...

On the nutrition stuff, I feel you. Who can be bothered with eating sometimes? If you have time to eat, you're not training enough!

Actually, though, I have made a lot of the changes on your list, and the difference is really quite amazing. I even made the coffee to green tea change (albeit kicking and screaming) and I find I'm much more alert throughout the day. Nothing is worth switching to Michelobe Light though. Nothing.

(Regarding your comment: yes I am a tad overtrained, good thing I'm going into a rest week. It's time to rest like it's my job!)

Anniversary Moments said...

16% body fat?? Can we trade bodies please, please?? i chatted with jesse about the whole nutrition thing when he went over my plan with me, and he was munching on blueberries. he has some pretty solid ideas and they sound pretty regimented - but they work!! I've been trying to eat more and more according the workout window and have noticed a huge difference in my performance and overall energy. and I discovered I love applesauce - who knew.

Your story about the boy is very touching and thought provoking. I could feel tears welling as I sat here reading it.

Keep up the great job training! I honestly don't know how you manage it all! Impressive.

mjcaron said...

We ARE lucky. I thank God everyday that I get to do what I want and make my own decisions.

I too am trying to fuel better esp. since it helps the healing. I need all the help I can get! But, like most, I don't see myself giving up coffee. I feel furtunate, however, that my drink of choice already is wine.

(PS Went to FastSplits the other day. Got my shoes, pedals, endorox, box of gu, bento box. Paul waited on me. Did you know he's done 20 ironmans? lol..)

SM said...

Nutrition...whats that? I really should get my butt into gear and think about those things. Good luck getting a handle on yours.

AtlantaMom said...

What did he say about Propel? It's the only way I can drink water and I hate gatorade anyway...

Love smoothies, but I'm lactose intolerant, so there's that...

I cry over things like that too...I'm quite the softie really - I just don't let people know what a softie I really am. I hate to be vulnerable.

I became so emotional about hurt or disabled children after having had children of my own. I feel actual pain when I see children hurting - physically or emotionally.

Kim said...

ah yes, the nutrition and fueling plans....today was the start of me getting back on the train. powergels, endurance, endurox...

cottage cheese, cottage cheese, cottage cheese.

i laugh at the mich ultra/red wine lecture. gimme guinness, gimme margaritas!

we can get through this together!

i wish i was 16% body fat. damn girl, you are LUCKY and one in-shape hot mama!