Sunday, April 20, 2008

Breaking Away

To Cindy my meme not easy ___________________ Racing me versus time 37th lap ___________________ Though I really liked this tag I will not tag others who might curse me times ten for doing it to them again, again ____________________ Last night the hub. and I watched Breaking Away, the 1979 classic, after putting the kids to bed. I had never seen it before. Saying I really loved the film doesn't really do justice to how I actually felt about it. I connected to many parts of the movie. The part that I felt was most poignant came after David has been knocked off the road with a spoke stick by the Italian racing team. God my heart broke! And then the exchange with his father: "I didn't know that everyone cheats." (David) "Well." pause "Now you know." (father) I've always connected to the whole shattering of idealism thing--which seems to happen again and again throughout our lives in different ways. We suffer the same (slightly varied) wound of learning that the whole world cheats until we wake up one day totally embittered. We fight to not sink into quiet desperation. We take anti-depressants, have children who allow us to relive what we have lost, we get divorced--marry again--forever hoping that some of that early, untarnished joy might be recaptured. It's why we do triathlon. _________________________________________ Onto other news. I'm actually going through a job crisis. Just thought I'd let you know. It's a pretty bad one. I have been teaching for 16 years--since I was 22 years old. I had verve. I was inspired. I was alive. I was GOOD. 2008: I am burnt. When I was younger I used to look at veteran teachers who were clearly burnt out and who had become dead wood with such disdain. Why didn't they just get out? Clearly they disliked the kids, they disliked the job, they never stopped complaining and they had lost all vestiges of inspiration. Teaching doesn't really pay well. Why not just get out? Yeah. Well, younger self. You don't know SHIT. What about that pension you are going to get if you just stick it out for another 15-20 years? What about the seniority you've built up? The respect? The clout? The safety? What about the fact that the only f-ing thing you know how to do is teach? What about the fact that you have more than 60 credit hours of professional development under your belt and multiple degrees--all in literature and education--and who the hell cares about those degrees outside the world of school? What about the fact that you are at the top of the pay scale and you are pretty sure there is no way in hell anyone will pay you what you make now given that you have no qualifications to do anything other than to teach? What do you do then, huh? Sink into despair because you are slowly and surely turning into the despicable dead wood you so vehemently hate? Any of you who have survived this kind of mid-life crisis--I'm open to any and all advice. Those of you under the age of 30--I love you. But you ain't there yet. Talk to me in ten. ______________________________ Okay. Finally. the good stuff. Triathlon. My love. My savior. My Calgon Take Me Away! My Breaking Away! I went out for a grueling hill bounding workout on Thursday morning at 5:00 a.m. I had finished my repeats, and I decided I wanted to run to the very top of this hill (about .25 miles of super scary steepness) before I ran home. I reached the top. I'm panting. I'm ready
to walk. And then I see out of the corner of my eye, this: We looked at each other for a moment, and then he did this: I didn't have a camera, so these pictures are obviously not the same peacock I saw, but you get the idea. It was neat. I watched him for a good five minutes, and then he walked slowly away, and I started my slow recovery home. On Saturday I went for a 50 mile ride with my friend Petra. Petra is pretty much a tri goddess (e.g she did a 2:35 bike split at Clearwater 70.3, Worlds, last fall) , so I was intimidated, but excited for our ride. I got the Black all ready. (I decided to call her Black Beauty, btw. I do realize, for all you lit. buffs, that Black Beauty was a boy. I know!) Anyway, Black Beauty was looking fine. I was going to look like a tough, hip tri girl even if I did suck on the actual ride. It was a beautiful morning, it was all mine and I was PSYCHED. (and scared of sucking, too. definitely scared.) One interesting note: Petra and I kinda, sorta look like twins from a distance. We are both 5'2". We are the same weight (to the pound), we have similar body types, we both have the same color, same length hair, blue eyes, etc. Anyway. Close up we don't look that much alike, but from a distance we are clones. When she showed up she had on her red biking jacket, her black shorts, her blue/silver helmet, and a long pony tail in the back. um . that is exactly what I had on. exactly. We were like the Doublemint commercial--only without the skates, the boobs and the blond hair. It was kind of scary. Okay, I digress. The ride was amazing. It was a great day to be alive. We averaged about 16 mph with stops, which wasn't fantastic, but also not totally shitty given it was my first real, long, substantial ride outside this spring. I know I held Petra back, but she was very patient and didn't make me feel bad at all. To round out the weekend this morning I went out for a 10 mile run. I hammered it. I just felt so strong and alive and ready to take on the world. (I am also feeling a little upset and icky about the job thing--and I just wanted to hammer it all out.) During the last mile "Add it Up" by the Violent Femmes came on my playlist, and I went nuts and did a 6:30 mile. Wish I coulda done that two weeks ago in that shitty race... oh well. Tomorrow I take the kids out to watch the Boston Marathon. It's my hometown race, and it makes me sad that I'm not running it this year. But we can't have every race we want every year. Or maybe we can and I just haven't figured that out yet. ______________________ It's the NEXT DAY: Just wanted to give a shout out to all my buddies who kicked butt today! Rose, Michael, Maureen, David, Claire, Tom, Zac, Tim and Mike (a 2:41--holy shit!)--you all Rock! I'm so proud to know you! Here we are getting properly fueled to cheer everyone on at the Boston Marathon. What a fantastic race! What a great day!

10 comments:

Ange said...

Oh Mary, sigh.....I wish I had some awesome advice for you. However, I will say this: follow your heart. In the end, that is what matters. All those things you mentioned are important (pension, top of pay scale, experience etc) but in the end, you need to be happy. It will affect you, your kids and your hub.
On another note, Great training!! You must be feeling psyched!
let's talk more soon...A

Trisaratops said...

Nice job on the run!

Very tough decisions...ugh. I only have 9 years, but am already laughing at 22 year old me with the same attitude that you had. You're right--it's so much more complex than meets the eye. This job can chew you up, spit you out, and piss on you daily. Thinking of you as you figure out your next move.

kodiacbear said...

Oh Mary, my heart goes out to you. I've been feeling the exact same way about my job (Paramedic stuff 'member?) Luckily for me it comes in waves..and I am okay with it again.

Follow your heart...

It could be that you turn into a Pro Triathlete--who knows where this may lead...

mjcaron said...

So glad you got to ride on Saturday. It WAS beautiful.

I'm sitting here just back from the Red Sox game and I read your blog. I now feel extremely guilty for eating sausage, ice cream, and pizza today. LOL..

I'm done with insurance to.. No seriously. I think I'm trapped in it for the rest of my life. If you can figure out a way to start a new career or not let me know please. Thanks. Thank god we have hobbies that take us away from the real grind. :)

Rainmaker said...

That's awesome that you get to go out and cheer everyone on. What a great way to teach the kids how to enjoy sports other than the 'majors'.

Anniversary Moments said...

Great job on the weekend of training! I am still constantly amazed at how you manage it all! As for the job, follow your gut, you'd be amazed how many skills you have from teaching that can translate into another career. And I am convinced that no matter what career a person has, if the person is committed, full of passion and pride for the work and does an exceptional job the money and all that stuff will follow!

triguyjt said...

its tough when things aren't as fresh anymore..heres hoping you can feel that spark and that a situation comes up to energize you towards the teaching...

cool that you have as your hometown race,THE Boston Marathon. Thats cool. Plus you have rocked the race in your career....very cool

Swimming for ME said...

Ummm....obviously you are a gifted writer and no I don't I am biased just because I have known you since age 8. I think you should consider journalism. Why not submit some stuff to a magazine or journal?

Anonymous said...

I agree that you are a gifted writer! (sorry to tag you with so much going on) I like your meme, though :)

Your blog writing is always interesting and funny.

Hope the work stuff gets better for you soon. Thank goodness for triathlon season...YAY!!

Triteacher said...

Oy. The job situation sounds tough. I don't have the magical bullet either. This is my 10th year and I think the variety of grade levels and positions I have taught has helped me -- do you think a grade/subject change might be the ticket?

Keep us posted. I'm pulling for you - whatever you decide.