Saturday, April 12, 2008

LP 2009 or Do I Really Want to Do This?

It was supposed to pour today. It did pour this morning. There was lightning and thunder and everything. I felt it was a good move, therefore, to stick with my plan of going to Fast Splits to train with a few of my teammates on the trainers there. The trainers were set up such that we could all ride the Lake Placid course at the same time. Three hours on a trainer goes faster with a group, and I figured the course terrain would provide me with additional distraction.

When I arrived at Fast Splits the weather was staring to clear. I began to feel pangs of regret. I really, really times eight billion need practice outside on the bike. She's new, and frankly, I'm still new to biking. I lose a lot of time worrying I'm going to topple over when I ride outside.

Anyway, our coaches got everyone set up. I got on the bike, shifted, and my chain dropped. I got all greasy trying to put it back on until Tim took pity on me and put it on for me. (Yes, Tim from "Hi, I'm Tim.") I don't appear to be recovering well in the loser department from his perspective, I'm sure. I then took a look at the big screen from which I was going to view the "course."

You know that game at a carnival where each person takes on a plastic horse and you squirt some sort of water gun to move the horse forward? On this screen you could view the elevation profile of Lake Placid, but you could also view which rider was where on the course, and therefore who was ahead and who (soon to be my case) was behind. Oh joy. Each rider (horse) had a column with his/her name, wattage output, calories burned, pace and power to weight ratio on it. While I was eager to view this info for me, I was not so eager for my compatriots to view it. Sigh.

We calibrated the trainers. Mine was set to 2.4. What does that even really mean? Rainmaker, if you read this, can you please explain to me why computrainers need to be calibrated? I don't get it. And if a trainer is calibrated to 3 instead of 2, what difference does that make to the rider?

I digress. sorry.

We started. The Lake Placid course is pretty hilly, as I'm sure you know. What I didn't know was how UPHILL it is at the start. Holy shit. I thought I was going to die. I didn't have a gear that was low enough to deal with the hills. (Rainmaker, again, if it was set closer to 2 would this have made a difference?) Immediately upon starting my heart rate shot up well beyond my "zone" and my power output was up in the high 100s. Didn't I just establish that 165 was thresh for me? I began to panic. I was NOT going to survive this ride.

To make matters worse my "place" was soon established. Out of eight riders, I was sixth. One rider, Michelle, was not working it b/c she's doing Boston next weekend. The other rider "behind" me was Maureen-- who is 52.

Everyone else kicked my ass--.

I'd like to say it was because I was staying in zone 1--except that zone 1 wasn't even a possibility for me. My average hr was well into zone 2 for the ENTIRE ride. I'd like to say it's because I'm little, and so therefore I was at a disadvantage compared to those with more weight, but each rider's weight was entered and calculated for, so this was not the case!

This week I have been lamenting my lame ass performance in a variety of arenas. Today, however, I'm not going to lament how bad I suck. I actually thing I did wicked awesome today. The thing is, it's not that I suck, it's that my teammates are AWESOME. I am in awe. And that includes you, Kim--hello! Number 3! Sweet Jesus. I'm never listening to you bitch about being slow ever, ever again. Bah! You go out next weekend and kick some ass!

I would also like to say that I have a sweating issue. I'm just acknowledging, that's all. My teammates were dry. I had to wring out my top ever few minutes and I couldn't see for the sweat dripping and stinging my eyes. Yep. Such a lady.

I was able to ride next to Maureen, the 52-year-old woman I mentioned, who is, by the way, just an amazing athlete. (I hope to be doing half what she's doing when I hit 52.) She was so funny--told me a thousand stories to keep me entertained throughout the ride. At one point she was talking about how hot men who do triathlon are--especially the young ones--and how they (the young ones) don't suspect that we old ladies are completely in awe of their hotness, as if grandmas have lost their sex drives--or maybe never had them. She was so funny about it, I almost wet my biking shorts I was laughing so hard. I couldn't wet, though, because I was putting out all of my body's water stores via sweat.

I went for a short transition run after the ride and though it was slow, it felt great. The weather had turned warm and bright, and I was high from having worked my ass off for three hours. I really feel like the season is about to begin.

The end.

12 comments:

Ange said...

That is so cool Mary! I wish I could do that with you! So? LP 2009...do you really want to? :)

kodiacbear said...

But..after all that..didn't you have a Blast!!

How great did you feel after? LP will be a piece of cake next year...don't you worry.

mjcaron said...

Hi Mary, I realized Saturday was so nice once I finished my 2 hour training ride inside and took Fergie for a walk. I couldn't believe how hot it was outside.. Sheez...

triguyjt said...

the stuff on maureen is hilarious...
if the older triathlete ladies check out the young triathlete guys, then you can't fault the older triathlete (even married ones) who check out the younger chicks....but thats as far as it goes...

Swimming for ME said...

Well I don't know anything about biking, but I think you are a kick ass writer!

Kim said...

haaa i wish there were single hot triathletes that wanted to date me!! maureen is hilarious! i loved her 80s sweatband :)

thank you for the vote of confidence, although i am not 100% sure how accurate my results were!!! you are gonna kick major ass at IMLP 2009! youre already kicking ass!

Nitsirk said...

Yes, LP is hilly and many of those hills happen right at the start (the rest are right at the end!). However, you will be rested and tapered and have throngs of spectators yelling your name. You won't even notice the hills (until maybe the second loop ;) ). Just think how satisfied you will be after completing the course.

solobreak said...

This usually won't work on the trainer, but if you ever drop your chain on the road and are still rolling along, do not stop. Simply operate your front changer as if you are shifting on to the big ring. Pedal gently and let the changer (aka front derailleur) push the chain back on for you. You'll end up in the big ring, and by then you'll probably be going about 2 mph, but you can then gently shift it back down onto the little ring and get going again, hopefully without ever getting off your bike (not to mention your hands will still be clean).

And yes, ride outside. It's April... Good luck!

Judi said...

Technology is a trip. I didn't see that you were on a trainer until I read it a 2cd time. Girl, you are worrying so bad for nothing. Just go with it. You'll pass everyone on the run anyways. :)

I went for my 1st swim in 4 months. I suck ass with 1500 meters in 37 minutes. I am gonna be DFL!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I am agreeing with Judi. You do worry too much about nothing. You really will kick ass.

Rainmaker said...

The calibraiton is to modify the rolling resistance of the trainer. Things that can affect this is bike weight, wheel type and how much slip is given on the tire. Even heat causes dift in the resistance. Technically you're supposed to warm up for 15 minutes - and then calibrate it for the most accurate results. I rarely do so though.

The ideal measurement is about 2, but as long as it's calibrated - it will all be the same. Assuming calibration is done correctly (up to 25mph, then let it coast to a stop). The number represents pounds of load of force exerted on the tire. But again - it can very based on tire, here's a simple chart though:

Flat Course - use 2lbs† Press-On Force
Up to 5.0% Grade - Use 3.0 lbs† of Press-On Force
Up to 7.5% Grade - Use 3.5 lbs† of Press-On Force
Up to 10.0% Grade - Use 4.0 lbs† of Press-On Force
Up to 12.5% Grade - Use 4.5 lbs† of Press-On Force
Up to 15.0% Grade - Use 4.99 lbs† of Press-On Force*
†Plus/minus .20 lbs acceptable.
*5.0 lbs exceeds the maximum value you can save.

In my case - mine usually calibrates at 2.25, which means that becomes my '2.0'. In your case, yours calibrated at 2.4 - which in effect because your 2.0.

Make sense?

So to answer your final question - in theory it won't matter, because by calibrating it you create all riders even. Otherwise, if you switched with someone else, then the wattages/etc would be all whacky.

Here's a thread/forum with a bit more info:

http://www.racermate.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1243&p=5267&hilit=calibration#p5267

Speed Racer said...

You have THE coolest workouts. And you'll get better on the hills once you can actually get outside ONTO the hills. There are no hills on rollers.

You will kick ass at Lake Placid, and then I will send you a list of all the complaints you have made about how slow you are between now and then to keep in your back pocket at Kona.