Sunday, July 6, 2008

70.3 World Championship: A Dream Dashed

So.
Ange emailed me this morning to let me know she had been browsing through the Timberman 70.3 website and had discovered a sad piece of news: they are only offering two spots to Worlds this year in the 35-39 female AG. Last year they offered five, and it rolled down to like twelve or something. This year—no such thing. Two spots! My guess is that Ange is still going to have the option to go. She has been top three in every triathlon she’s done this season—even the all New England super competitive races. She’ll be up there for sure. I really, really believe I will be up there too. I was hoping for top five AG. Timberman, like most of the big 70.3 World Qualifiers, draws a big, competitive field from all over the country. To be top 5 would definitely be a fantastic achievement. But this year it won’t secure me a spot at Clearwater. Boo!

I had been warned this was going to happen. They added more qualifying races and then cut the spots offered at each race. This will make the 70.3 World Championships much more competitive, and therefore much more sought after. I doubt sincerely that the slots will roll down at all at Timberman. You get top two, or you don’t go.

Since I discovered this little bit of tragedy (for me) I have come around slightly. First, there’s always the chance that I will have the race of my life and actually place in the top two. There is also the chance that it will roll down to me—wherever I place. However, I’m not planning on either of these things happening. Right now I’m focused on the possibilities that have become visible now that I am not so focused on Worlds.

I could do a fall marathon. I could do Bay State with my running club and train with my running friends who I miss very much. I could just play this fall and do a few sprints and monkey around. I could take the money we would have spent on going to Worlds and put it toward a trip that Andy and I could take together—a trip that includes a triathlon or a marathon—or not. I could just race my heart out at Timberman and be happy that I gave it my all without the fear that my best won’t be good enough. I already know my best is almost certainly not good enough!


I have a few good rides up here in Maine since I moved up a few weeks back. This weekend the hub. Was here and I was able to escape for a long early morning ride that took me all the way up route 5 to Cornish. Here’s a picture of Cornish: It’s so country, so rural, it’s --- ? beyond nowhere land! It’s just quiet, rolling hills, grass, wildflowers, and an occasional rusty pickup or tractor decaying in an abandoned field. The highlight of the trip was going through Limerick center, where I really felt I had gone back in time to the 1950’s. There was an ancient Variety store, an ancient gas station at which you could also get coffee, and a sweet little restaurant from which wafted the smell of bacon, eggs, and strong coffee. As I rode I kept myself occupied by trying to imagine what life must be like in Limerick or Cornish. I’m told that many who live there commute out route 25 to Portland. That’s a serious commute!

This weekend Ange and I (and her brother, Jeff, and her husband, Mark) are competing in the Scaborough Tri. I just discovered that there will be two different transition areas and the race will end in a different place from either transition! Crazy! Apparently you must stuff your suit, hat and goggles into a bag with your number on it in T1, take your bike and ride to T2 where you have placed your run stuff, and then run to the end. They bring your swim bag to the end for you (if you have packed it right--!!!) but you then must back track to get your bike! I hope they have someone in T2 guarding the bikes… The whole thing seems rather fishy to me. Hopefully it will be fun! I’m hoping for a top three AG spot. I figure Ange will go top three, so she won’t be in AG placing. You need to get top three, Ange! I’m counting on you! 



We’ve spent the week at the beach with my friend Alina and her three kids. We go to the beach all day, return tired, hungry and toasted from the sun, and then fall into bed. Okay, it’s not that idyllic. There is sand throwing, tantrums, problems with sharing, and the constant fear that one of our six will wander off or go to deep into the ocean-but mostly it’s awesome.

I miss you all out there. I am writing this on Word, hoping that someday I will be able to connect and actually post this!

14 comments:

Swimming for ME said...

Think of it as a dream deferred perhaps... plus you left out the possibility of a Masters meet!

GetBackJoJo said...

oh that's right! A master's meet!
But what happens to a dream deferred? Does it dry up like a raisin in the sun? Alas, this one just might...:)
Miss you!

mjcaron said...

Hey Mary! I clicked on the "pictures of me" but nuttin happened.

I'm at the cape this week enjoying my new non-plan-of-attack.

Your time up north sounds pretty good. I'll bet you will really appreciate coming home when your house is done.

I can't decide if I should run marathon sports 5 miler next Thurs. night. I really don't like that race.

Your race must be coming up soon. (Timberman)... I hope you make it to Worlds. That would be very cool.

Later!

Unknown said...

Although the chance of getting to Worlds has changed a little, go for it still - you never know what'll happen! Best of luck to all of you this weekend. The race sounds a bit confusing to me with where t1 and t2 are. Hopefully they give you REALLY good directions with it all! :)

Rainmaker said...

Interesting, I hadn't pondered that (with all of the new 70.3 races, the reduced slot allocations). Bummer. :(

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

(I was just passing through the blog on the offchance). If you can't do Clearwater, then consider training for Honu 70.3 in Hawaii next early June. You can compete against the likes of Bree and a few of the world's best, and experience the Hawai'i Ironman feel. And then you and your family can have a nice vacation there, too. Also, just focus on the race at hand, you never know what might happen at the awards dinner.

Anniversary Moments said...

Oh Mary, so sorry to read you don't think you'll be at worlds - it sounds like you are a bit at peace with it. And dreams only dry up if you allow them to - we can't always control the timing of the things we want in life, but that doesn't mean we still can't get them eventually! And who knows, I mean, you've got all the makings of a TOP 2 AG kinda gal!

Swimming for ME said...

Yeah and don't forget Dara Torres, 41 year old swimmer extrordinaire who is still kicking some MAJOR ass at the Olympics... with your work ethic you can still do it!

Speed Racer said...

Boo about Clearwater, but whatever, it's not that nice a course, it's a draftfest, and if YOU'RE not there, then the party just won't be happening. Then again, you could always stuff your jersey pockets with thumbtacks at Timberman...

Maine sounds so nice I really might start stalking you. Miss your more frequent posts, but it looks like you're stuck in the stone age up there. Anyway, I can't wait to hear about how things unfold at your races... even if you have to etch your race reports in stone with a nail file.

Kim said...

you are an extraordinary triathlete, and even if the worlds isnt in your cards, there is always next year. wouldnt you rather be riding andy than a bike seat anyway? hehehee :)

dogs turn left said...

Or, you could start training for the 2009 USATF Masters Track championships ...

Judi said...

Mary, here's wishing you the best this weekend. Race your heart out.

Bob Almighty said...

Welcome to my world! Sadly being a young man under 25 means every race either has 1 or 2 70.3 world's slots. But enjoy it I heard Timberman's a hell of a race.

Nitsirk said...

You may surprise yourself at Timberman. I for one am not counting you out for Clearwater yet. Glad you are enjoying Maine. I live just off 25 right on the Standish/Gorham line. The biking out here is great, lots of rolling hills and farmland.