Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Cohasset Race Report etc.

First, please forgive me, all of you, for not checking in on your blogs. I have limited internet access right now. Boo!

So, the Cohasset Sprint was on Sunday. I did good. I had fun. I loved, loved, loved, that the hub was there with me, competing.

Get this: The hub's number was 666. Ha! His first tri, and he is 666! I think he had fun. I hope he had fun. He kind of loafed it, but now that he's experienced what it's like, I know he wants to get out there and kick some ass.

But onto me! Me me me! That's why we blog, right? Ha ha.
Anyway. The swim: It was an ocean swim. The weather was humid and foggy and cool. The waves were big. They changed the swim so that instead of swimming out, you swam only 300 yards and then turned at a buoy and swam horizontally across, along the shore, and then in. I was psyched. I lined up right up front prepared to sprint. So did everyone else. In the first minute I foud myself trapped underneath bodies--and I could not find my way up. Panic ensued. Then more panic. Then I found my way up, cursed, and swam way out away from the group to catch my breath, my confidence--. This, as you might imagine, lost me some time. However, I think it also allowed me to finish the swim. I was pretty freaked out. I'm not sure I've ever been that panicked in the water. I swam, probably too leisurely, to the end, stumbled out, and then ran to transition.

It was a long run to tranistion. At least a minute. Maybe two? I was winded when I got there, scrambled out of my wetsuit, and set off again. Another long run. What was up with these long runs in transition? Finally I was able to mount. I wanted revenge. I was now pissed about my swim and ready to get back some time!

The Course was twisty and turny. Yuck. I like straight on ahead much better.... But it was fine. I found myself cutting back and forth with this other woman. She had a great back--very muscular and tan, and also an exceptional butt. I found myself wondering who she was and wondering if she was a model or just a tri goddess or what. Anyway, I digress. I made it my game to not let her get out of my sight. I knew by the 37 on the back of her calf that she was in my AG. I'd have to get her on the run.

The run. Sweet! I had a great run! Granted, I was breathing like Darth Vader and likely looked like I was going to die, but I still ran well for me. I passed a bunch of women at the beginning of the run who were in my swim wave. One was this woman Judy. She looked very --shall I say-- confident? lining up for the swim, and I was very, very pleased to pass her and give her a little waveon the run. I was passed by a blond woman (in my AG, shit!) who ran up to me and said, "are you one of Jesse's Girls?" I answered, yes (or I tried to answer. It was probably more of a wheeze.) Anyway, she said, me too! Stay with me! Her name was Allison. I coudln't stay with her, that was very clear. Thanks, Jesse. Stop being such a good coach, would you?
Anwyay. I saw gorgeous back and ass girl ahead and hammered to catch her. This took me until mile 2. Then, after I passed, I had to run scared for the rest of the run because I was sure she was right on my ass ready to pass me. Luckily, she never did. I beat her by like 20 seconds or so. Later, I looked at the results and found out she was from Dover, a neighboring town to my town. And then it hit me. Just last Thursday I had seen this woman running in Westwood and she had passed me! My thought at the time? Damn! Who do you think you are passing me, lady? No one passes me on a run in this town! And then I thought, Wow. She has a GREAT back.

So, the end. 107:39. final time. 5th AG, 15th overall woman in a super stacked field. (seven pros including Alicia Kaye, DeDe Greisbauer, Kim Webster, Karen Smyers etc.) 6:16 in the swim (quarter mile); 34:43 bike for 12.5 miles (acutally 11.95 on the Garmin) so that's about 20.6 mph.; 23:4? for the run, reportedly 3.2 but actually 3.35, so about a 7:04 pace.

I should mention that my buddies from QT2, Pam and Meredith kicked butt! Pam beat me by like 40-50 seconds and was 4th in our AG, and Meredith was 2nd AG. Yeah!


_______________________

One more thing. I just want to report on my ocean swim this afternoon. I swam along the coast, nice and easy for about 25 minutes. Then I turned around. IT TOOK ME AN HOUR TO GET BACK. I was swimming in place! It was me against the Atlantic and her vicious pull! Grrrr. Eventually I won. It just took along time and some serious self talk.

11 comments:

Jen said...

Great job!

Rainmaker said...

"She had a great back--very muscular and tan, and also an exceptional butt."

Good to see I'm not the only person out there checking out the females butts ahead of me.

Speed Racer said...

Man, I wish you had taken some time to take pictures! When's her next race?

Congratulations on such a great race in such a deep field! That's amazing!

Kim said...

mary, i saw your cohasset results yesterday....CONGRATULATIONS! you really kicked ass! i love that you were checking out that broad. you crack me up! how did andy fair?

Anniversary Moments said...

Great job Mary!! Way to come back strong after that scary swim start! after a summer swimming in the Maine ocean you're going to be even more amazing! I am doing/feeling MUCH better btw. thanks for your note!!

Swimming for ME said...

You always come out on top. Good for you Mary!

mjcaron said...

Hi Mary! Nice going on the tri. Andy too.

Unknown said...

Way to go - you rocked that race!!!

Judi said...

I miss your comments on my blog. BOO.

Good RR Mary - as always you are fast as shit. I want to hear the hub's times too missy!

Judi said...

Thanks for stopping by Mary. You are too sweet. That race last week just sucked, can't wait till this weekend for a real TRI.

Hope you can get online more! You rock out that training, enjoy your summer. I hope the hub and the kids are with you now.

Anonymous said...

HA! I love your detailed report of that girl that passed you in TOWN...isn't that too funny...we all know who runs and who doesn't in our own turf!! Good job out there! 5th AG and +++....congrats!! And, congrats to hubby! Jen H. :)