Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Lakd Placid 2009: Holy Shxx

Hey everyone! I fear I'm losing all of my readers because I have such limited access online right now! Ahhh! Sorry-and I do plan to get all caught up on eveyrone's blogs VERY soon. I hope you are all having a fantastic race season!

So I'm in! Ange and I and a couple friends stayed up all night in line and it's now OFFICIAL. We will be competing at Lake Placid in 2009!

I plan to write a more thorough report of the weekend soon. For now, just a few blurbs:

Holy shit did it rain. It never stopped. It was torrential. This didn't seem to deter the 2500 IM athletes from taking on that course! How inspiring!
Less inspiring was the realization that between Ange's family, my family, and our friend Mike's family, we had eight kids to take care of as we watched the race. And did I mention that we were CAMPING? Camping, eight kids, torrential rain. I think we were serious IRON spectators! The thing is, kids are so resilient. They had a great time, and are still talking about the weekend. Crazy! I need to give a HUGE shout out to the people at Peak Performance in Portland, Maine. They let us camp out under their tent the whole day. Thank you Nat and Tim! You saved us!

Also totally inspiring: My coach, Cait, and her longtime boyfriend, Tim Snow, got married on Friday night at Mirror Lake. Then Cait went on to WIN the race, running a 2:59 marathon, the course record for women, to boot! I cried watching her run the final lap. It was truly awesome. Tim (remember, Hi, I'm Tim?) finished 10th overall, Jesse finished 18th and was the 4th amateur, Pat (another QT2 coach) was 4th in AG, and all the other QT2 athletes had great races--esp. Kim!

Ange and I had lots of time to hang out, chat, commiserate about the pouring rain--especially because we decided to go to wait in line at midnight the night before registration! (I will add that this was not my idea... ha ha!) It was nuts! But we were 15th in line, and secured ourselves a spot very nicely! We were able to hang with Tim (owner of Peak Performance) and Mike, the other family guy with whom we were camping, and so it was acutally kind of fun in a twisted kind of way. And most importantly, the torrential rain stopped by about 11 pm, so though we were totally damp, with wet shoes, sleeping bags and clothing, at least we weren't rained on....

More stories later!
I'm excited times a thousand for this race!
Next up: Urban Epic Triathlon on Saturday. Ange, Alina, and all my new Maine triathlon pals will be there. I can't wait!

12 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Awesome! And hardcore for weathering through the...well...weather.

Good luck this weekend!

maria conley said...

Oh my God Mary. You are going for it. I am so excited for you. YOu are a true hardcore woman.

Ange said...

Mary...it was a memorable one wasn't it. Fun in a twisted sort of way. :) So glad I could share it with you. It was a blast because of all our crazy adventures. I'm so so so excited for 7/26/09 too! Can't wait to see you again this weekend! Hope you're all rested up!

Janette said...

Congratulations on taking the Lake Placid plunge! I grew up in NY and love that area. It's gorgeous! I also know someone who did LP and although it was challenging he truly loved it.

I see you're doing the Cape Ann 25K. I am too and can't wait for it. I hear it's hilly, but haven't done it before.

I'm not a tri-athlete, but I am a runner and I do read your blog even if you aren't posting as often. I find it very interesting and inspirational.

Anniversary Moments said...

Yay for 7/26/09!! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to follow and share in your journey!!

Speed Racer said...

Ha! Have fun with that!

You like hills, right?

Judi said...

Ever since I have been reading your blog, I totally thought you were doing IMLP. So you aren't doing an IM till next year? Why all the long miles and stuff woman?

iron-boyer said...

I am looking at my first IM next year too...how exciting. Just not sure which IM I'm going to do. you just won another reader in me...good luck to you.

jbmmommy said...

I look forward to hearing all about the upcoming year. Somehow I think that you and Ange are going to do awesome next July. You're quite motivated- and that's possibly the understatement of the year.

Runner Leana said...

Holy smokes, you have to stand in line overnight to secure your spot? I can't wait to read your journey. It sounds like a pretty amazing weekend, especially for your coach!

Bob Almighty said...

Yes now I have another reason to roll up to Lake Placid Next Year.

Unknown said...

CONGRATS! I'm anxious to follow your year of training!!!