Friday, September 4, 2009

It's All About the Bike.

It can be argued this is true for everyone doing triathlon. I'm not so sure. However, at this point it is all about the bike FOR ME.

It's about more hours on the bike, more focus on the bike, more dedication to the bike, more reading about the bike, more intervals and hills on the bike, and no more excuses ABOUT the bike! Me and Mrs. Z., TLA.

(Sorry, that rant was more for me than you.)

The problem is, I am a runner. I am a runner playing at triathlon. That needs to change if I ever want to get significantly stronger on the bike.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a gifted runner. I'm just a runner. I think about the run far more than the other two disciplines. I have been running for the last 20+years, and I have only been biking for the last two and a half. I was a swimmer in high school, but I didn't pick it up again until I started triathlon. It's always been about the run for me. Running was, and remains, my first and true athletic love.

I will slack on a swim workout or I will cut a long bike short. I will skip a recovery bike all together, but I will NEVER skimp on a run. In the last month I have digested three books on run training and two on sports nutrition (remember I'm a geeky reader, librarian type in the end) but have I even searched for a book on biking training? umm. no. I feel deprived when not road racing, and I squeeze one in any chance I get, but I've never done a bike race or a bike time trial, and I have currently no desire to do so. When I race, I smile on the bike at the camera because I'm just rolling along, noticing the scenery and saying Go get um'! to bikers who pass me. But I'm all business on the run.

Case in point--the ride at last week's Oly: (Note that there are no bikers in sight. I was so alone on that ride! I might have been smiling just because I was so happy to see a person, even though he was a photographer and not a biker.)


Compare that to my run at last weekend's Oly:
and compare my bike photo to how I look after my run at last week's Oly:
I am at a slight disadvantage on the bike do to the fact that I'm both short and small. This is an advantage, of course, on the run. I have less to carry. However, unless I get stronger and more proficient on the bike, I will never be able to take advantage of my advantage on the run, because I will be too pooped to execute the run the way I know I should and can.

At this point I have two ways of racing triathlon on the bike.

1. I don't work the bike hard enough and I have a solid run. *(example would be last weekened Oly, at which I had a good run).
2. I work the bike very hard and I have a shitty run. (examples would be Lake Placid or Mooseman Half).

What I need to be able to do is to work the bike hard, and STILL have a solid run. And this means, I think, less about my run training, and more about my bike training.

My question is this:
In your opinion, what is the key to solid bike training? What have you done that you think significantly contributes to a strong bike leg?
I have my ideas. And I know Jen is likely killing herself trying to satisfy my desire to run hard and fast while still getting me to work on my bike.
But I want to hear your ideas. I'm also interested in any books you may recommend on biking.

12 comments:

Velma said...

I have the same problem. I think for me it is going to be about time - more planning for rides and no wussing out. I also bought bicycling magazine last night at the store. I am sure the experts will have more insight.

What nutrition and running books have you been reading?

Running and living said...

I think you need to find a way to love the bike and believe in yourself as a biker. Everything else will follow.

MaineSport said...

Mary, it really is pretty simple. You need more miles, to include hard miles. Even better, do it with bikers who are better than you. My "breakthrough" came on a bike-only training camp in Tucson a couple of years ago. I was "ranked" 7th of 8 on the trip. We rode 100, 100, 30, 100 (massive & long hill), 30, and 50. That broke mental barriers for me. Take advantage of the good weather while we still have it and get in a lot of miles, including hills. Throw in two "training camp" weeks where you do 300+ miles before Thanksgiving. In the spring, do Crank the Kanc and other time trials- at the expense of a few road races.

Judi said...

i hope claire chimes in.

damn mary, you think about this shit way too much. LOL.

solobreak said...

Hey today I was riding up High Rock Road and this dude is running toward me, f'n flying. I think I recognized him from your blog as your husband.

I thought in tris the bike was just a place to eat and drink. :o)

Seriously though, it takes time. You seem to be fine for someone who has only done 3 seasons on the bike, all while splitting your focus on two other disciplines. In bike racing we old timers generally accept that it takes five to eight years to mature as a rider -- and that is when focusing solely on the bike.

You will get stronger with time. Miles and hills are the answer (not the f'n trainer), kind of what MaineSport says.

Michelle Simmons said...

I'm with MaineSport. In order to get fast on the bike, you have to ride very fast in training. Find a group of men who are stronger than you, then go ride with them every weekend. Push as hard as you can to hang on to their wheels. Get dropped. Get pissed. Then go do I again next week and hang on a little longer this time. It does take years to develop speed and endurance on the bike, but it WILL come if you put the time in. But you have to suck it up and go get dropped a lot first. :)

Go get 'em, Mary!

Swimming for ME said...

Your run picture looks like you just did something else exhausting....haha

You gotta stop smiling for the camera hon.

As for the bike I have no advice other than maybe the weightroom?

JBM said...

on the bright side you have a strong sport in the tri-sport, i suck at all 3!

Jennifer Cunnane said...

I try and ride with a bunch of roadies any Sunday I am available... only men show up, and if I am lucky 1 other girl. It hurts, I always get dropped but its helped my biking! Even better, last ride I got a flat and had 12 men help me change a flat in 4 minutes!!!

Kim said...

mary, i got nothing for you :) i love the bike, hate the run. please help me learn how to love the swim and the run. please?! :)

Amanda said...

I, too, am a runner, through and through....dabbling in tri.

I'm still not fast on the bike, but sticking with a faster paced group for long rides and then running, even just a couple miles, after helped me a ton this year. i think a lot of it is confidence...we're comfortable running and runing hard. riding hard is a tad unfamiliar.

Ange said...

you know I don't have advice.....I just keep thinking somehow it'll all click. And I think you're a lot better on the bike than you're giving yourself credit for.