Wednesday, September 9, 2009

My Ghost, the Ghost of Minna, the Ghost of my Running Legs

I'm extremely, extremely sick of all the music I listen to when running.
I need help.

Yesterday I made a new playlist, desperately searching through my I-Tunes library to find anything that might be inspiring and which I wasn't already totally sick of.
One of the songs I chose was the Indigo Girls' Closer to Fine. I loved, and I mean LOVED this song in my early twenties. It spoke to me. I was very deep as youngster, of course.

Well darkness has a hunger that's insatiable
And lightness has a call that's hard to hear
I wrap my fear around me like a blanket
I sailed my ship of safety till I sank it
I'm crawling on your shores

I went to the doctor, I went to the mountains
I looked to the children, I drank from the fountains
There's more than one answer to these questions
Pointing me in a crooked line
And the less I seek my source for some definitive
The closer I am to fine

Listening to it again I marveled at the fact that it spoke to me way back when. What did I possibly KNOW at that point that would have connected me to that song? I had sailed my ship of safety til I sank it? Oh Please! At that point I was building that ship of safety; using hammer and nails, iron and steel, using every tool I could find to insure I was bound so tight I'd never be left alone. And I had gone to the doctor? The mountains? Looked to the children? OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! I was too busy building the damn ship to do any of that!

At any rate, the song still speaks to me. Over the years I did wrap my fear around me like a blanket, and in the end I did sail my ship of safety til I sank it. Or maybe I didn't completely sink it. It's kind of three-quarters-sunk. It takes serious balls to totally sink your ship.
I came pretty close, though.

I still agree that darkness has a call that's insatiable and that when in the dark it's hard to hear the call of lightness. I also agree that the less I seek the more okay I am --if by okay one means less agitated, conflicted and forcibly out of touch with the nothingness.

I realize I'm speaking in tongues and you are totally skimming. STOP SKIMMING! Or, actually, just skim. It's fine. I will talk shop now and stop with this drivel.

*In short*, (this is the important part) I have no good running songs on my I-Pod. Help me out! I need songs that will get me moving and will not make me think too much.

On the training front:

I was like slower than shit last week. That's a stupid comparison, as shit is neither slow nor fast. It just is. But you get what I mean.

It was a tough week. I had just come off the Olympic race in Kennebunk, and it had tuckered me out more than I was willing to admit. Jen put three seriously hard core workouts on the schedule for the week, and I felt some dread, knowing my body probably wasn't up to the task. Naturally I felt it necessary to keep this to myself, as I am, like so many of you, completely unwilling to admit defeat until after it's happened.

And as predicted, it happened. I hit my pace/heart rate targets for the killer bike workout on Wednesday. However, doing so put me into such a hole my legs were sore to touch on Thursday. On Friday I still wasn't recovered, but I attempted the fartlek run on the schedule anyway. To make it more manageable, I decided to do it on the track. I couldn't wear my racing flats because I had blistered badly wearing them during the race, and I needed them to heal. So I wore my clunky trainers, which totally felt WRONG on the track. The idea was to go 2,3,4,5,6,5,4,3,2 minutes at faster than 5k pace, with 1/2 the interval time as recovery between each. I hit the first two minutes. I hit the first three minutes. Then I didn't hit anything for the rest of the workout. By the end I was barely hitting half marathon pace.
I forgave myself. I would make it up on Sunday's marathon pace run. I would nail that one.

Sunday rolled around and I was still not right. My legs felt like lead when I started my run. Things looked up, though, when 10 minutes into my run I met Jo. Jo is a chocolate lab. We hadn't met before, but we were fast friends in no time. She smelled my hand as I jogged by, and I asked her why she was hanging out all by her lonesome. She just panted, and then took off, as if to say, "Wahoo! I found you! Let's go, sister!" We ran together for a bit. Then I started to get worried, as we were getting farther and farther away from were we had met. I checked her tags. Jo, Hartford Street, and a phone number. At this point we were at least 1.5 miles from her home. Not good. I said, "Go home, Jo!" She wagged her tail and darted ahead into the middle of the street as if to say, "No way, man! Let's RUNNNNNN!" What to do. What to do. I ran on and so did she. She darted under my feet. She raced into the distance and then came crashing back to me. It was like running with Minna, my chocolate who we had to put down last month. I know I'm crazy, but for awhile I even convinced myself she WAS Minna, come to visit and to tell me all was okay.

But it wasn't Minna. It was Jo. And we were like three miles from her house. I had to run back. GRRR! I had a solid 18 mile route planned. So much for that!

After dropping off Jo with a grateful babysitter (Jo had jumped her fence--again, so much like Minna!) I was off again. My pace had been sporadic until this point because of my running with Jo. But now I was alone. No inspiration, no new good tunes on my I-Pod and 10 miles to go. At one hour I was supposed to pick it up to marathon pace. No problem. I could do it. I picked it up, and WHAT! Not even close. I picked it up more and more. Not even close.

I never really did get close. I held it all under 8 min. pace, but it was a pathetic effort. When I got home I contacted Jen in defeat. I needed some rest. On paper I shouldn't need rest, but nevertheless....

And I'm drained today, still. The darkness is pushing me around hungrily and I just need to snap out of it. Hate that.
and that's that.

9 comments:

Kim said...

"And the less I seek my source for some definitive, The closer I am to fine"

the ghost of your running legs will come back. it was been a tough week between races and hardcore workouts.

BUT you managed to still push yourself through them REGARDLESS of the pace you kept or the mileage lost. (ps i love that you ran with the doggy!)

mary = mentally strong + physically strong

get it through yer head little lady :)

Kristina said...

I have no words of wisdom on the fatigue factor, as you know. But as far as songs go... I'll bring my iPod Friday.
Good cover of Dylan's Mississippi by Sheryl Crow, incl. lyrics on sinking ships:

"Every step of the way we walk the line
Your days are numbered, so are mine
Time is pilin' up, we struggle and we scrape
We're all boxed in, nowhere to escape

Got nothing for you, I had nothing before
Don't even have anything for myself anymore
Sky full of fire, pain pourin' down
Nothing you can sell me, I'll see you around

Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me"


And so on..

Regina said...

Here is how deep I am, I only liked that Indigo Girls song cuz it was easy to sing along with...never bothered much with the lyrics.

as for your playlist, I don't wear an ipod when running, but these are some songs I would put on there if I did:

Koop Island Blues - Koop
Anagram-Dousk
Major Tom(remake)-Shiny Toy Guns
My Mistakes Were Made For You-Last Shadow Puppets
I'm Not Gonna Teach You How To Dance-The Black Kids
Behind The House-Neko Case

Reggae Stylings:
You're Wondering Now-The Specials
Everything I Own-Ken Boothe
I'm Not Tired-Majek Fashek
Pressure Drop-Jimmy Cliff


Old School:
The Passenger-Siouxie and the Banshees
Just Like Heaven-Fiction Factory
A New England -Billy Bragg
Fairytale of New York-The Pogues

Ange said...

ok, a few things. I was scanning but only the words to the song. I have it on my mp3 player. I usually skip over it cause it's really not a good one to run too. This is funny. Just the other day Jeff and I were talking about this. I got my mp3 for my 37th bday....2.5 yrs ago and I have the Same songs on it!! pathetic and yes, boring!
Black eyed peas have some good ones I think.
Run legs come and go too easily don't they? Just when you think you're a rock star...wham! They're trashed again. I'm so not worried about you though. YOu'll be Fine!!

Anonymous said...

I also love that song. Do you have their Strange Fire CD? That one is very singable as you run along too, but more of a long run not speedworkout. I have the archaic radio only walk-man. I like to listen to Matty in the morning.
Rose

Running and living said...

Oh, the legs will come back. Don't sweat it. As far as music goes, here is my playlist I used during my last 1/2:
1. I try - Macy Gray
2. We are the champions - Quinn
3. You wreck me - Tom Petty
4. Bette davis Eyes - Kim Carnes
5. Free Fallin' - Tom Petty
6. Holiday - Madonna
7. Brown eyed girl - Van Morrison
8. Metal Firecracker - Lucinda Williams
9. Walls - Tom Petty
10. I am so excited - Pointed Sisters
11. Pump Up the Jam - Technotronic
12. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
13. Don't you want me - Human League
14. Shake your Booty - Countdwon
15. I will survive - Gloria Gaynor
16. I won't back down - Tom Petty
17. American Girl - Tom Petty
18. Where's the Party - Madonna
19.Werewolves of London - Warren Zevon

By the way, if you have not listened to Lucinda Williams, I think you should. I bet you won't regret it.

Swimming for ME said...

Michael Jackson.... DeLaSoul... Beastie Boys....the Cure...all Disco....but then again we have different tastes.

You are probably tired from your race with Jordan.

Anonymous said...

It might sound silly, but what I have on my shuffle for those really hard moments during the run are sound bites from favorite movies etc.
For example:
- The 10 minutes from "Remember the Titans"
- The final km in Paula Radcliffe's 2002 5,000 win ("the arms are moving, the legs are moving. everything in unison!)
- The final 2 km from the same year's 10,000 win at the euro championships (Stand up at home! applaud the great Paula Radcliffe!)
- Spirit of the marathon trailer and sound bites from the movie itself

It works every single time. I save some of them for the really hard parts in the run, but it's awsome.

Liat
(a faithful reader in Tel Aviv, Israel)

John said...

Try Indestructible by Disturbed. You can't not get motivated by it.