Monday, September 7, 2009

Walpole 5k Race Report or Mommy Can't Stop Bragging About her Baby

Today my daughter ran her first 5k. I'm the moron with my hands in the air and she is the cool one with the nice form.

She rocked. Seriously. I'm so proud I can hardly contain myself.

Our Stats:

1. We averaged 9:50 miles and we negatived splitted. SHE IS JUST BARELY EIGHT. Eight- year-olds do not negative split. She is clearly special.
2. She did not walk. I REPEAT. SHE IS EIGHT.
3. We chit-chatted the whole way. When she saw another kid her age, though, she'd hunker down and pass the sucker.
4. We finished in 31:02. (The race was a smidgen long).
5. She placed 19/40 in her AG. Her age group was ages 1-14. Only ONE child her age beat her. The rest were all 13/14 year-olds.

After she finished we got some water and then watched other runners come in--men, women, teenaged boys and girls, kids.
She said, "Wow, did we go faster than all those people?"
And I said, "Yes, sweetheart. We did."
And she said, "I think I can go faster next time. I wasn't breathing that hard."
And I said, "Yep. You're going to run faster all right. But today was a pretty incredible first try."

Okay. I'm obnoxious. I know.
It's just that she is my little peanut.

And she is a runner.

15 comments:

Rainmaker said...

Nice, congrats to her (and you)!

Michelle Simmons said...

Wow! What a great post. I can hear your pride, and its awesome.

Running and living said...

Just awesome! Ana-Maria

MaineSport said...

Sounds to me like you have two-thirds of a CELT relay ready to go....See you in 3 weeks?

Kim said...

holy smokes - like mother like daughter!! congratulations to you both; i can see how proud you are of her!

Ange said...

woohoo JOrdan! Tears in my eyes. I LOVE THIS!!!! And yes, Brag brag brag Mama!! you can! Oh so fun. Can't Wait to do this soon.

X-Country2 said...

Aww, congrats to her! I'm SO going to be that mom some day. :o)

Nick Holt said...

Way to go Jordan! All the San Antonio Holt's are very proud of you, especially your aunt Lauren!

Velma said...

Awesome. What a great experience.

Sara Cox Landolt said...

This is totally awesome! I loved reading it. My oldest is also 8 & I'm similarly proud of his soccer skills etc. I love seeing my son try something hard, not knowing what will happen, and then seeing the pleasant surprise on his face afterwards! Life changing!

Regina said...

Good Lord, I think she is faster than me!

What a great thing to able to do together, I love it!

Swimming for ME said...

Yup that is just about as fast as I can run a 10-K. She's come a long way from the OP 1K races!
Way to go Jordie!

maria conley said...

Jordan is all you. She looks like you and she is very competitive. Way to go Jordan!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Judi said...

damn, her feet are up HIGH in the air in that last picture! you SHOULD be proud! way to go!