Monday, September 14, 2009

Running Coach, That's Me.

Well, it's me if I take this 100 question multiple choice test, and if I take a CPR/First Aid course within the next 60 days.

Of course, a coach is not a coach unless she has clients, so maybe I am not a coach just yet.
At any rate, this weekend I went to a RRCA two day course in rocking Hartford, CT to become certified as a RRCA running coach. Why, you ask? And if I was to become certified as a coach, why a running coach and not a triathlon coach?

Excellent questions. Well, the truth is that although I have been tossing around various career ideas, becoming a running coach was not at the top of this list. I love running, I think about running almost all day every day, but still I hadn't seriously considered it as an option. My friend Kristina, however, (aka Marathon Mama), had been considering it, and asked me if perhaps I wanted to escape the domestic bliss of my life for a weekend to attend this course.

My first reaction was Nah... I'm not ready for that.
But my second reaction was, Hmmm. Why not? Get away? Spend sometime with my uber cool, super smart, super fun friend? See if coaching is something I might want to do?

So I agreed.

We started out Friday night, got some dinner (and wine, of course), and headed two hours west to our snazzy hotel. Okay, it wasn't snazzy. But it had a treadmill and it had free coffee available in the morning, so it was snazzy enough for moi. We were both wiped out upon arrival, not because it was particularly late, but instead because we had 1. had wine two hours previously, and 2. because Kristina had done some super crazy 20 miler with like 19.999 miles at marathon pace that morning, and I had gotten up at 4:45 a.m. to complete a brick that was supposed to be done on Saturday, but obviously couldn't be because I planned to attend this course all day. So although we are wild and crazy women, and although the strip of highway our hotel was located on looked ripe with potential with its seedy, airport bars, we reigned ourselves in and hit the sack by like 9:30 p.m. Oh yeah, we play hard.

The next morning I got up--and drum roll please....
ran.
of course. on that snazzy treadmill.
The treadmill was fine, but it was a fucking sauna in that minuscule, so-called fitness center. There were no fans, no air-conditioning, and the windows were tightly sealed. Oh Mama. Luckily, a short recovery run was on the docket, so I was fine. One interesting aspect of that run was that I was facing a mirror. I watched my legs run for 45 minutes. I like my legs. They look pretty strong. However, my gait is a little fucked up. I think one of my legs could be shorter than the other.

Onward. We went to the course. There were about 30 people there, and we were to meet in a tiny, tiny room. Uck. The instructors introduced themselves, and then we sat and listened and took notes.
All day.
Like 8-6:30 p.m. all day.
Actually I found it all very interesting. I like school, I like lectures, I like taking notes and I really don't mind sitting on my ass all day, as long as exercise preceded said sitting. The instructors were knowledgeable and good presenters, which helped. I especially like the section on exercise physiology. There were some interesting folk in our class. It's curious the cross section of people interested in becoming coaches. Curious--and scary.

After our marathon-length class, Kristina and I got dinner, had wine, (of course) and surprise! Hit the sack early again. I tell you, we are just wild. I got up early again the next morning to drumroll please....

run.
of course. on the snazzy treadmill.
Are we getting Groundhog Day here or what???
This workout was a little harder then the day before, and involved 10 miles of running and several miles at marathon pace. I had to ring out my shirt when I finished. It was nasty. I was sweating so much that my inner ears pooled with sweat and my headphones kept falling out as a result. I had to wipe down that whole minuscule gym when I was done because my sweat had flown everywhere. Luckily, I was the only individual partaking in the awesomeness that was this fitness center, so no one was showered by my sweaty excretions. Kristina, lucky for her, was running outside.

The second day of the course was much like the first, except that it involved a little group work, so that made the time pass more quickly.

Because I know you are currently riveted, and want to know exactly what pearls of wisdom and insight I have now that I am a running coach aficionado, I will highlight some key points of my learning:

1. Don't take ibuprofen. Like ever. Or you'll die. Think hyponatremia. Think renal failure. Think holy shit I can't believe I took like four on IM day. (I am being facetious, but really, I DID learn that it is so, 100% not a good plan to take Ibuprofen on race day--or any day you work out. Not only is it dangerous, it doesn't help block the pain or prevent muscle damage in a way that will allow you to complete your workout or event more easily.)

2. Jesus, why does everyone insist on running slow miles AS THE ONLY way to train? Okay! I DO get it from a physiological stand-point. I get it's the best way to build an aerobic base. But there is more than one way to skin a cat, and long slow miles day after day with only a teeny tiny dose of possible pace work after like a thousand weeks of base is fucking BORING!!(And not terribly effective in getting you a PR, I will add.) Is it so WRONG that many of us want to run hard on some days--and not just LONGGGGGG? and not just at a heart rate just above one's sleeping heart rate? I repeat, Jesus!!! IT MAKES ME NUTS. Have these people read Jack Daniels, Matt Fitzgerald, Brad Hudson? It's not all Mark Allen my friends! Sure, that dude knows his stuff, but his way is NOT the only way!

3. Wow. You have to handle couch-to-5kers with total kid gloves. At least according to these folks.

4. Don't stretch after you run, even if it hurts so good. You could rip muscles fibers because your muscles are tender and fatigued.

5. I want to try the Nike Free shoes-- a little at a time. This is not because they were advocated for in this course. It's just because I thought about this a lot when I was spacing out.

6. Kristina is quiet in class. I, on the other hand, am obnoxious and raise my hand all of the time.

7. I am prejudiced against people who don't aim to run fast, but just run for fun and fitness. I am also prejudiced against people who run long slow distance and advocate running long slow distance, and who have run long slow distance for years and are still really fucking slow.

8. Runners think triathletes are vain, pompous, too competitive, too focused on image, and too Type A. Runners also feel it is just fine to say this to a triathlete's face. OH YEAH???? So what--maybe that IS true. BUT We are still cool. And smart. And interesting. And colorful. And vibrant. And full of energy and verve and drive.
I refrained from saying that runners are also just jealous of because triathletes of both genders are fucking hot compared to their running counterparts. This is, of course, not always true. Kara Goucher, for example, is unbelievably hot. But triathletes have fantastic fantastic fantastic bodies compared to runners. There is simply no debating that. So there.

9. I think I would be a good coach. I really do.

10. I pee more than the average person. I had to get up like 10 tens during the class.

That's what I learned. Some other stuff too, but that is the best of what I learned. Hope my learning somehow benefited you.



16 comments:

Ange said...

I'm just laughing at a few things. More comments later. Just so funny though. :-) I agree....all that stuff. And I bet I'd win on bathroom trips. Ask my kids. drives them nuts.

Katie said...

Funny post! I definitely agree that there is more than one way to train. Not everything needs to be long and slow.

BTW I noticed on your main page that you're running BayState...I might see you there! I'll be running too and I'm starting to get really excited b/c it's so close!

Running and living said...

I took 2 ibuprofens before Boston, and did not pee between 10am and 8:30 pm, in spite of drinking a ton. I have not touched ibuprofen since. I much rather run fast than slow. Long and fast is even better. Triathletes do have way sexier bodies than runners, just no comparison.
P.S. I think you and Katie are planning on running Baystate at the same pace. Fun!

Michelle Simmons said...

I think you'll be a great coach!

I used to follow that long/slow plan for running, and guess what? I was really slow! This year Jen has encouraged me to push harder and run faster than I ever thought was even safe and guess what? I'm faster! Go figure. I swear though, without a coach telling me how fast I should be running, I NEVER would be running as fast as I am (not that I'm fast AT ALL compared to you, but you know what I mean).

Kristina said...

I like your version of the truth (i.e., my 19.99 miles at MP--yeah, that's how it went).
I don't know about you, but I've been walking around with a stop watch and a whistle around my neck since we got back ;)

Regina said...

Ha! very funny and entertaining at the expense of you having to sit all weekend in a small room, thanks!

Like you, I don't buy there is only one way to train. That is like saying all people are the same and thusly should train the same...it's crap. sorry..

I already know I pee more than the average person....I also know that this urge to pee is induced by crossing a finish line; it seems to have some kind of magnetic field that pulls it right out of me....or maybe it's due to birthing another human being!

thanks for your comments on my race, most appreciated. I love comments!

maria conley said...

Now you can coach me and make my fat running ass small. You are so freaking funny. You say it like it is and for that I love you.

Amanda said...

The CPR/first aid class will drive you nuts. you will be thinking about those shoes even more. It is fun to role play though...

I think you'd be a great coach! Go for it!

Long and slow takes too much time. Way to ADD for that.

MaineSport said...

So your ad will run something like..."Running coach looking for women, because men are obnoxious, who like to run fast, because slow people annoy me..." You might want to broaden your audience a bit as you start. ;-)

Michelle said...

Awesome recap Mary! I love doing track work and racing in my Frees - you should go for it. They are ridiculously comfortable and light as air.

mjcaron said...

That was funny. I haven't read Mark Allen or any other tri coach for that matter. I'm not a good student. Thank God I have a friend like you to ask questions. Please, keep up the good work. I like your rebellious attitude. You should be a coach. You could be the one to break barriers.

Jennifer Harrison said...

HA! Loved this, Mary! Well, you know how I feel about "long and slow" all the time - clearly! :)) Glad you are pursuing your run coach stuff - you would be great!

Linda said...

I have a hunch that you'd make a GREAT coach! :-)

In A Fog said...

When does a runner make the transition from "slow" to "fast"? I have been running for about a year and a half and have been able to shave over 90 seconds off my per mile time, but I am still slow. I want to be faster (and am doing speed work), but don't know if I'll ever be able to be "fast." Does this make my effort not worth it?

Judi said...

ok well fuck. maybe we wouldn't get along so well. i am kind of mad about what you said in #7.

Bob Almighty said...

man I didn't know they were running one of these courses in Hartford...although will you be back down our way for the marathon in three weeks?

Also agree with you on the variety in workouts thing...doing 20-30 miles of LSD everyweek gets boring ...fast.