Monday, November 9, 2009

Have You Noticed...

that almost nothing is what it seems?

I pride myself on being supremely insightful. I first realized I had the gift of grasping the inner nature of things at at an extraordinarily deep level in high school. (Yes, I am being facetious.) Really, though--since then I have honed my insight to the point of near-mastery. I get people, I get how systems and organizations work, and I  believe when it comes to these things, I am never wrong.

Except that lately I seem to be wrong all the time, which is more than a little disconcerting.
How could I have lost my noesis--seemingly overnight?
The only explanation I can think of is that I actually never had it--or I have it and yet it betrays me.

I don't mean to be cryptic. It's just that lately people--relationships--organizations who I thought I understood keenly, aren't as they've appeared.  I idealize someone else's marriage, and then discover the couple is divorcing. I judge someone as righteous or arrogant, only to discover they are generous and humble, or conversely, someone appears to be self-deprecating and weak, and I discover she actually doesn't take shit and has the will of an ox. I think I get the inner nuances of the mommy neighborhood dynamics, only to find I'm way off and I'm not on the outside as much as I thought--or another mommy who I have viewed as central in neighborhood hoopla actually is on the outside, too. Even my husband and kids seem to be different than I have understood. My son seems charming and funny, yet it turns out he is a hellion/class clown at school. My daughter, who seems to be such a confident performer, is terribly shy once I leave the room.  I even seem to be lacking insight into others' insight of me. I think I appear to be a certain way, only to discover I am not viewed by others that way at all.

This weekend I learned that the tri shop I consider the hub of my triathlon community in Maine shut its doors for good. I can't tell you how shocking this was to me. The shop was at the center for most of Maine's triathlon world. The owner had built up the store, buying out other tri shops, expanding its offering of classes and services, and building a community of athletes around an all-inclusive club, Nor'Easter.  I loved that shop and all the people who worked there. I loved being a part of Nor'Easter. I lamented that there was nothing akin to it where I actually live, in Massachusetts.

I don't really know what happened. There is plenty of scuttlebutt, but of course no one has the whole, true story, even those who worked there. The owner simply came in on Friday morning, told the staff it was over, and gave them a bit of time to collect their stuff and leave. This action seems so uncharacteristic of the owner,  this man I thought I knew. But as I said, my intuition has been off, I guess. I do not believe for a moment that this man intentionally hurt those who worked for him. No one intentionally loses control of finances, wrecking everything he worked so hard to build in the process. No one.

What bothers me more than anything is that I viewed Peak Performance as a rock--something stable and secure. I had no reason to believe this was so... there were signs that things were not all what they should be. But still, I just had this faith in it. And I'm left doubting that I ever really know what's going on with anything or anyone. I even think this about me, believe it or not. For the last year I haven't been able to trust myself, my intentions, my actions, my beliefs.  Maybe it's something about hitting mid-life. I simply don't know.

_______________________
On to something more positive:

Last week I started training again.
Thank. fucking. God.

I'm slow in the pool, I tire easily on the bike and can only push like 110 watts without slipping into zone 3, and yesterday I struggled to hold an 8:40 pace on my run. Yikes! But still, it feels great to be working out again.

I have been lifting and doing core/functional work, and I'm really excited about this. One of my limiters is my muscular endurance and strength.  I seem to look fit, but that doesn't translate into actual strength. I cannot do ONE pull-up. Not one. I can't push more than 240 pounds on the leg press. I can only bench the bar, without any weights on it. You get the picture. I'm not sure how I am as fast as I am given how weak I am. The only thing I can think of is that I just don't have a lot to carry around, because I'm so short and small.

Finally, in other terribly exciting news, I am getting my little ankle tattoo on Thursday morning. !!!! I also might get a small tramp stamp. I will post pictures later in the week.  I love these little 40th birthday presents to myself.

18 comments:

Kristina said...

I think nothing is ever as it seems because people love the stability of predictability when, in reality, we are all constantly morphing, responding, and adapting to our contexts. I'm trying to embrace this instead of constantly ironing out the wrinkles in what's around me.
Yay to the tattoo: the only thing of permanence one can count on anymore.

Michelle said...

OMG, you are getting a tat????? I'm so jealous. I have been contemplating for a while now, but have been too chicken to pull the trigger. Oh, and my husband would kill me, so there is imminent death to consider as well..... I can't WAIT to see the pics!!!!!!!!!

It totally sucks about the shop - what a shocker. Hopefully the team can find a new core sponsor????? You guys all seem so close.

Kim said...

i showed my tat to like 100 people on saturday night :) yay for presents (although its a painful one!)

im so sorry to hear about you and anges tri store. crazy how this shit can just happen without any sort of notice.

Running and living said...

So, I don't believe in intuition. I think humans like predictability, and our brains are wired to remember things that fit with our opinions, and reject what does not fit. Maybe this was the case with you in the past? Now you seem to be at a stage where perhaps predictability is of less value, and so your brain is aware of this, and you can see things that do not fit! There is much uncertainty and little predictability in the world, yet it is hard for us to accept that. Looking forward to the tattoo(s)!!!

Chris said...

Good luck with training. It is so hard to start back after a break. Sorry to hear about you local tri store. It is sad to see so many little companies in our sports disappear because of this economy.

Swimming for ME said...

I am shocked.

And agree... lots of things are not as they seem.

But tis also true that the simplest explanation often tends to be the best one (Occam's razor). Otherwise I find I spend too much time overthinking life.

Ange said...

Funny...I almost posted this morning the same types of thoughts: "just when you think you know someone" I hate all this. hate it. it's not just the Store...it's what happened.
Can't wait to hear about the Tat!!!

Regina said...

I had the same experience with our Vet. He was awesome. He came to our house to put our beloved dog to sleep when it was time. You would see him transporting animals on his shoulders by bike if someone couldn't get their pet to his office. He was incredible. Then, one day we got a letter saying he was closing his doors in a week! No one knew what was going on including the staff. So strange....

tattoos.....scary. I had to actually give up my navel ring to do tri. It is an amazing piece of jewelry equaled by none. I'll have to dedicate a post to it's demise....

I really, REALLY would like to get your opinion on Mooseman (I know you did it and I read your post), if you have a chance could you email me RtisticFX@yahoo.com or if you don't want to do that, maybe leave your thoughts about it (like, dislike) on my blog? Many thanks!

Unknown said...

Only The Shadow knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men. The rest of us just have to make a guess and hope we're right.

Definitely have to post pics of the tat; it has been far too long since my last.

Annie Crow said...

Can't wait to see the tat. I've been thinking of getting one for my 40th myself (still a couple of years away - I'll need a couple of years to decide what I want!)

Sorry to hear about the store, it's painful to have places like that close, and even more so when it seems sudden and/or mysterious.

Where in Mass are you anyway? I spent 10 years of my early adult life in that state, different towns.

David said...

Is there any difference between "charming and funny" and "hellion/class clown"? Probably not from your son's perspective - nor from mine - and I'm old.

While I'm at it: There's lots of talk around these parts about tattoos. Are tattoos supposed to make women faster? Increase endurance? Happy birthday and all, but I just don't get it.

Anonymous said...

What?! The dreaded Tramp Stamp?? I thought I knew you...

GetBackJoJo said...

Very funny, Andy.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to training!

--Sarah

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

sorry to hear about the shop. Tattoos are incredibly addicted, I can't wait to get another (it's been about 6 years since my last one!). Can't wait to see the pics. Happy training :)

rungirl said...

Def want to see pics of the tattoo. I have one that is about 8 years old and then one that is only a year old. Love them both!!

maria conley said...

I knew someone that I thought was a nice and sweet person. But the more time I got to spend with He/She the more I began to see their true colors. I Can't wait to see your tattoo!!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

TATOO???? OH MY GOSH! Why not?! ENJOY! Welcome back to training - albeit easy FOR NOW.

:)