Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Planning

When I was a girl I remember making lists for the parties I wanted to have. These lists were mostly comprised of people I would invite and food I would make.  Very few of these parties actually happened. The happening of the party was almost beside the point. It was the planning I loved.

A good party plan always began with a dessert list, because the only thing I loved more than boys as a girl was dessert. (Actually, quite frankly, that hasn't changed much.) I remember combing through my mother's cook books, scratching out lists of elegant dessert possibilities to serve like English Toffee, Petit Four Cakes, Ice Cream Puffs, and Dutch Cocoa Cream Cake with Caramel Icing. I seldom included non-dessert foods in my planning , with the exception of deviled eggs, which I positively loved.

The guest list always comprised both girls and boys, because, as I have said, I was boy-crazed from a very young age. I didn't actually have a party that included both boys and girls until seventh grade, of course, and that party wasn't entirely successful. I believe there was too much dessert food, not enough spin the bottle, and a general feeling of fraudulence since I invited all of the "popular" kids in addition to my actual friends, in the hopes that the popular kids would fall in love with my winsome personality and invite me into their sacred ranks.

I no longer plan parties. I have learned that I don't like hosting, I don't like cooking (except for baking desserts), and I can no longer flirt with reckless abandon, so what's the point? (Andy would argue that I still flirt with reckless abandon, which perhaps is true, but whatever. Some habits just never die.) At any rate, I've replaced my party planning desire with other types of planning. I plan my next career move, I plan my next writing project, and best of all, I plan my next racing season. (Notice I never plan things like how I am going to systematically clean the house.) Just like my party planning, whether the career move, the project or the racing season comes together as I have planned is entirely unimportant. It's the mapping out of the future that I love. If things don't work out as planned it is almost better. When one plan fails--it's time for a new plan-- and voila! I'm right back at my favorite part of any project.

I write all this just so you know up front that I will relish the planning and re-planning and re-planning and re-planning of my next season excessively over the next--well, year.  A fantastically new plan is like nature's first green, and as you know, nothing gold can stay. My approach to this problem has always been to re-plan once a plan loses its luster. With the race season, I just keep adjusting until the season is over. It works for me.

So, what follows is my very first rendition of the 2010 Racing Plan!

1. Go really fast.

Just kidding.
Let's start again.

December 11-12, 2009: Short-course meter championship at B.U.  I hope to swim such fabulous events as the 100m I.M., the 50m Fly, the 100m back, and the 500m free.  The fact that my event choices may change goes without saying, except that I just said it. Goals: to not be the last person to finish in any of my chosen events.

Jan. 24th, Derry 16 Miler. I just like this hilly monster of a race. Plus, Andy claims he will run it, so I simply must do it this year because I know he will drink lots of beer with me after the race instead of going straight home. Goal: To make sure I take a dump before the race. I didn't last year. And well, that just wasn't fun.

Feb. 7th. Cape Elizabeth Winter Classic 10 Miler. It's in my hometown. I insist on participating in all hometown races.  Plus it's a hilly, great race and Ange, Mike, Steve, Stacy and many other fabulous friends will likely be there and so I simply can't miss it. Goal: to go sub 1:11.

Cape Swim Meet. In February some time. I have no idea if this meet will even happen, but it did last year so I'm hoping it will happen again. Goal: To do every single event. I know that sounds daft, but really, it's what I'd like to try to do. I think you get a prize for being stupid enough to try it.  If this meet doesn't happen I will compete in the Distance Festival at Bowdoin College (a swim meet) on Jan. 31.

Feb 19-21: Ange and I fly to Raleigh, North Carolina to attend a USA Level I Tri-coaching certification clinic. That is, if we get it in.

March 7th. Stu's 30K. Love this race. It's like a hilly nightmare just like Derry. Goal: don't know yet.

March 20. Short-course yard Championship Meet at Harvard U. I want to swim the 1650. I've never done it in a pool.

March 25-28: Okay. This isn't a race, but I'm flying to Tucson with Ange and Mel C for Tri camp with Jen ! (so excited.)

April. train train train. Watch all my friends run Boston and cry because I have to watch.

May 16: Harriman Half Iron in Harriman, NY. This is the smallest race ever. I think like 10 women did it last year. My goal is to win it.

June 5: Rev 3 Oly. I'll be honest here. I wouldn't do this race except it is a huge TriManiac race (that's the name our new club will have. :) I hear the course is impossible. Still, it will be so fun to watch the 1/2 Iron the next day and cheer on Ange and co.

June 27 IM CDA. Goal. To be Super Mary. To P.R., to place in my AG, to qualify for Kona. You know, small, easily achievable goals.

Okay. That's all I know right now.

In addition to developing the best race schedule ever, I have other more exciting plans in the works--like how I'm going to write a book, start a new business, get a puppy, create a Masters swim program at the pool, and other little things that I'm sure I can easily accomplish while training for IM, racing incessantly, keeping up with all of my friends, keeping up on FB and the blog--oh, and continuing to bring my three babies up in a warm, stimulating environment that smells of freshly baked cookies. Oh, and also pay attention to Andy--you know--at least sometimes. Basic upkeep translates to once every three weeks or so. Oops! Just kidding. I didn't actually just write that.

14 comments:

John said...

I thought you were going to do Goofy with me one of these days. Got a great 50-mile race waiting for you too. :)

Michelle Simmons said...

Ok, I'm totally going to live through YOU for the next 9 months!!! Your schedule sounds awesome.
IF you and Ange don't get into the USAT coaching clinic in Feb, come to the one in Kona in October... I'll be there... Signed up already! :)

MaineSport said...

Whoa...so much here, I need my own list in response:
1. I'm doing the Cape 10 miler? I guess my goal should be 1:11.
2. Tucson is awesome. You absolutely have to have Jen take you up Mt. Lemmon. EPIC ride. Bring your iPod.
3. You know they have the 100 fly @ Cape?
4. Short course meter pools suck.

Kristina said...

God we are so similar. From the baking to the boys.
My favorite stores? Staples and Home Depot. Not that I ever organize or build anything; I just like to plan stuff.
I'm gonna go write a 2010 race schedule now, too.

Swimming for ME said...

not the 800 free? I'll count for you. :0 A good excuse for dinner out on Friday night.

And 2 plan trips in one year? That is just plain luxurious. Hopefully you won't end up with someone singing country music and drinking Jack straight up sitting right behind you like I just did.

Michelle said...

Love so much about this post! And I had to comment about your Tucson camp - I went to a Coach Troy camp out there in March in '07 - it was truly spectacular. You will simply LOVE the s/b/r in that area. I'm dying to go back...

Regina said...

"The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men, Gang aft a-gley", Robert Burns. However, I am sure yours will happen just as planned!! Talk about organized, I can't even match up my socks right.

Here is my plan for the next three days:
1. sleep
2. eat
3. Repeat #1

Seriously, I know having a plan and races to train for help me stay focused and on point. So you are coming to Harriman?! I may have to come and cheer you on.

Running and living said...

I just signed up for the Boston prep 16 miler! V exciting!
You know, I am all about making lists and planning training/racing; parties and other such events, not so much. I hate cooking (my husband loves it, so it works) and any domestic activities (it's one of the only things my husband is still trying to change...). I am OK with hosting bc we either get takeout or my husband cooks, so there is little for me to do. I am told I frequently flirt but honestly am not aware of that. Thank God for a secure husband:). OK, enough ramblings...good luck with all your goals! And the tattoo!

donna furse said...

how do you do it, racing a ton. With your 3 kids is your husband very supportive, what do you do with your kids when your traveling, etc...? I have 4 kids and I am going through planning my season and its so hard to figure out what to do based on school, vacations, husbands trips, do I travel or don't I. It is so hard. Any thoughts?

Annie Crow said...

Love, love, love planning my training program and my racing season. And then replanning. I can so relate.

No freshly baked cookies lately, but yesterday I did, on request, and on the spur of the moment, make homemade biscuits. I think I deserve a medal for that alone.

Anonymous said...

Mary - I'm running Derry & Stu's too. Let's ride up together! BTW... TMI on the goal prep for Derry! :)
Rose

Jennifer Harrison said...

Oh do NOT worry. We climb ALL of Mt Lemmon on DAY #1 of the Tucson camp! Hold on! :)

PS I am a planner too. (duh)...for myself and 1,000 of my closest friends.LOL

rungirl said...

ok... 1) i'm a total planner. over and over and over again. why haven't we been friends sooner???? 2) plan on going to head to head at the cape 10 miler. ok, or least give me someone to chase. 3) IM CDA ... i'm going to be super robin, which will be behind super mary, but super for me cause it's my first!! 4) just wait for my post on my 2010 racing plans, it will be the plan of all plans! hee hee!!

Seriously, any plans for a tri pre-CDA? I had thoughts of the Half IM in Galveston TX. My sis lives down there and I could stay for free. Any interest??

mjcaron said...

Yes. We need to plan. How else can you possibly accomplish this many tasks. I keep thinking I wish I didn't have to plan EVERYTHING. I like the thought of just jumping in and being spontanious. Any who.. you got me thinking that I should do Derry. I think Rose is doing it also.