Tuesday, November 3, 2009

I think our pumpkins should be titled "The Moods of Mom". 


It was a good Halloween. It was warm, so I could sit on the steps to divvy out the candy. (I force Andy to go trick-or-treating with the kids.) My strategy was to say to each child, "You can take two!" making it appear that I was generous without having to reprimand those who decide to take a freaking handful if you say nothing.  Another benefit of the warmth was that I didn't have to battle it out with the kiddos as to whether they would wear long underwear etc under their costumes. Lara went sleeveless in her fairy outfit, and she didn't get frostbite. Very cool. Or warm. whatever.

I managed to get rid of all of the candy I intended to give out. The only remaining problem is the candy that was brought in. The kids got butt-loads of it, and it's taking a will of steel not to hoard their supply. I need that shit out of here. I can't seem to stare a fun-sized Snickers in the face and not partake in the "fun."


The holidays. Do they have to come right in a row? I just recover from Halloween and Turkey Day hits. Then it's Christmas season--which is really just one long month of indulgence. Thank God training started again this week.

Speaking of....I got into the pool yesterday, and miracle of miracles, I did not sink. I was, however, slow. Like beyond slow. Like so slow I wanted to cry slow. As it should be, I know, I know. I also went to the gym to lift and do functional stuff.  It's extremely comical trying to balance on that damn half-ball and do the exercises Jen has prescribed. I don't actually do any of them. I spend my time just trying to balance in the required position to begin the exercise. It's pathetic, really. Still, I must have done something, because I'm sore this morning. Ah, thank God for that. I'm not sure I could stand another day of sloth-dom.

Today I get on the bike for the first time in.... a long time. The last time I rode Mrs. Z was at my final tri of the season. I pumped her tires this morning and lubed her up. She looks very pretty, but I still don't want to ride her. One of these days I'm going to fall in love with riding--I just know it. It took like 8 years to learn to love running--so I figure I just have five years to go before I'm proposing to her.

Five years.
This reminds me of aging, which is the topic of the post I'm working on now. As you know, I'm haunted by the BIG 4.0. which is galloping toward me at lightning speed. I'm determined to be at peace with it by the time the birthday hits, which will be just a few days before IM Couer d'Alene.


In 1996 Linus was a puppy and I was 26 years old. When I pat his grey muzzle and smell his ancient doggy breath, I marvel at how fast time passes.




15 comments:

Kristina said...

Did you see the NYC marathon winner is 37? Second place chic is 41. It ain't over, sister.

Regina said...

RE: 40. Come on in, the water's fine! Hey, I started running and triathlons at 41! Which is to say, I started really late and only this year, but better late than never I say.

I still hold out hope of improving despite my aching bones.

Michelle said...

Turning 40? All the cool chicks are doing it!!!!! Seriously, it's no biggie. Being 40+ and looking hot (you fall squarely into this category!!) makes you totally rule. :)

Trigirlpink said...

Howz that foot? I can't BELIEVE there is no candy on my office kitchen table right now AND it's Tuesday? Goooooooooood.
Yah..like Michelle said, 40 is the new 30's don't cha know.

Pining for Pinterest said...

I understand the thing about the Snickers. I am a teacher so I brought my kid's candy to school to pass out to the other kids. It has been hard not to indulge during the day since it is right in front of me :-)

mjcaron said...

What does "Z" stand for? I'm glad to hear you are back to training.

Ange said...

40 is the new cool age. I have 2 months girlfriend. 2 months.
Your kids looked cute in their costumes!!! :)
I know Exactly what you mean @ the holidays! Brutal! Halloween, Thanksgiving, Tommy's bday, Christmas, my bday, Mark's bday, Valentine's! From T-M's bday is only 1 month w/ all that squished in there. It kills me every year!
The bosu ball cracks me up every time. :O) So hard!

JRM said...

Are you hitting IMCDA next June?!?!

I am planning on it too :)

Judi said...

yep, we just get faster by age. :)

mary - you really should get on the bike more. learn to like it. it's the one discipline that we really need to focus on more. i can't believe how much i like it.

Running and living said...

I wish I had some words of wisdom about aging. I don't. However, you certainly don't look like someone about to turn 40, more like 35??? Does this help???:)It;s true, though!

GoBigGreen said...

Ha You and Jen are both panicked over 40! Life STARTS at 40..yea you gotta be a bit smarter and rest harder but it isnt too bad. that being said from someone who is quickly approaching the 45-49 AG. NOW THAT my friend is scary. :)))
is that a golden? love love love goldens. My parents pup is a RAGOM dog. ( Retrieve a Golden of MN)

Rainmaker said...

"I managed to get rid of all of the candy I intended to give out."

I like how you qualified that - as to say "Yes, I fully plan to keep some of it", up front. :)

Michelle said...

I did think of ONE bad thing about you turning 40 (and Ange). Now you both are going to be in my AG. That is very, very bad. For me. I think it's time you both start racing Elite. :)

Lucho said...

Ya... what Michelle said the first time. A fit 40 year old is hot!
We trick or treated at 9000ft altitude on icy roads in 10 degrees. My sons didn't get much of a haul. He did get a reeses and took one bit and spit it out (into my hand of course) and gave the rest of it to my wife.

Michelle Simmons said...

How'd that bike ride go?

One of my training partners aged up to 40 this past year and had one of her best seasons ever. ;)