Thursday, November 5, 2009

Looking to Write a Few More Chapters

Recently I read Dara Torres' biography, Age is Just A Number. My friend Liz wrote the book and maybe it's for that reason I liked it so much. I like Liz, of course, but she is also a fantastic writer. For those of you who have read the book, I know it reads in the first person. That makes Liz's feat in writing it even more impressive, doesn't it?

Anyway. You should all read it because, like me, many of you are parents, no longer spring chickens, and mature enough to truly appreciate being an athlete.  Many of you are also old enough to remember when Torres went to her first Olympics at age 15, and then her second, and her third, and her fourth, and most recently, her fifth, at age 41.  The names I associate with Torres--Tracey Caulkins, Rowdy Gaines, Steve Lundquist (I had magazine cut-outs of him all over my high school bedroom walls), Matt Biondi, Janet Evans--all retired years and years and years ago. (You must admit Lundquist was rather smoking. I felt the need to travel down memory lane here...)


And yet here is Torres. She is not only still a force, still  unbelievably strong, still winning. She has actually improved at every Olympics in which she's competed.  In 2008 she won her first individual silver medal  in the 50 meter freestyle--and she was just shy of taking the gold by 1/100th of a second.
And she was 41.
And she is a mom.
And no, Ted, I really DON'T believe she doped.

In the past I've felt that speed and endurance are wasted on the young.  They take speed for granted, use it nonchalantly, view it as a given.  The younger athlete is pissed when his speed or endurance fail him and he doesn't win, or place, or beat the old dude out there. The older athlete, on the other hand, expects his speed and endurance will fail him. He doesn't expect to win anymore--or even place, except, perhaps, in his age group. He doesn't expect to beat the young dude with the attitude and the lean body.

But I'm not sure exactly WHY this is true.  It certainly hasn't been true in my case. I was a fairly good swimmer in my high school years, but I am a better swimmer now--at least in terms of endurance swimming. Further, in high school and college I couldn't run at all, and I considered it an amazing success that in my mid-20s I completed my first marathon in around 4:10. Just recently I took 51 minutes off that marathon time--and I'm not nearly as proud of that accomplishment as I am of that first 4:10, which seemed positively miraculous at the time. At any rate, I wouldn't want my current self to compete against my young self. Mentally and physically my seasoned older self would kick the shit out of my self as a girl.

And it's not just me who has improved with age. Do you know the average age of the top two women runners at this year's NYC marathon? 39.5. In fact, every one of the women in the top five at NY this year was over 32; the average age for the five being 36. And did you note that the gold in the last Olympic marathon went to Constantina Tomescu-Dita, who happens to be a 38-year-old mom?  And this year at Kona, every one of the women in the top ten was over 30, with the singular exception of Mirinda Carfrae, who is 28. DeDe Greisbauer has been in the top 10 at Kona for the last several years running, and this year she celebrated her 39th b-day. Even among we non-professionals I can cite examples of the older athlete kicking the younger athlete's ass. My friend Alina, a state champion in her high school years in multiple events, is now bettering the times she posted back then, and she's nearly 40. My friend Melissa, too, keeps getting better with age. She has PRed over and over again this season, and she's been competing as a runner all 44 years of her life.

Dara Torres, via Liz, put it this way:

Lifestyle, not genetics, is the primary reason older athletes tend to slow down. Most people as they reach their thirties, place more priority on their jobs and families, as well they should. But as a result they downgrade their workout goals from achieving personal bests to staying in shape. This might be the right decision for many. This might even by the right decision for you. But if you still have athletic ambitions, if you still want to compete and win, there's no reason you have to give up. Your body can still perform if you put in the effort--if you still do that 10 mile run or that long, hard quality set. You just need to be smarter about training and more time-efficient. But chances are, if you're an older athlete, you're smarter and more time-efficient anyway.

If you guessed that this whole post is just a pep talk to myself about the fact that I'm entering a new AG next year, you are right.

But it's a good pep talk. Because the more I look, the more I find examples of how peak performance often doesn't occur until our later years. The most competitive age group in triathlon is NOT 20-29, as one might guess. Often people ask if I'm excited to move into the 40-44 age group, since presumably the competition will not be so fierce. But, in fact, the 40-44ers are MORE competitive than the 35-39ers. I will actually have to improve my performance next season if I want to continue placing well in my age group.

Sometimes I find myself wistfully looking back. So many of the big chapters of my life seem finished. When you are growing up (as a girl, anyway) you often wonder about the mysteries life holds for your future: who will I marry? What will I be? How many kids will I have?  Where will I settle down to live? You don't think of questions beyond those chapters. It's as if those chapters are the only chapters. Certainly when young you don't ponder when you will start your second, or third career, marriage, family, or home. You don't think about whether you will enjoy a comfortable retirement. You simply don't imagine the later chapters in life. It's hard to even fathom what they are. I think this is why 40 seems so ominous, so mortifying, so well, OLD. We haven't imagined the chapters after 40--and so it seems that the book must end when we get there.

But now I'm trying--trying very hard to embrace that over 40 holds incredible possibility, because I have no idea what chapters have still to be written. Life certainly isn't over. It's called MID-life because one is half way there.

And isn't it usually the second half of the race that holds all of the meaning and excitement--pain and joy? Isn't that where the shit really happens? Isn't that where the ones who have not given up show their stuff and pass all of the young bucks?

Well, isn't it?

22 comments:

Kristina said...

Exquisite writing, by which I mean yours, though Liz's is also good.
Let's go get inked to toast the next chapters.

Jeanne said...

Thanks for the book recommendation, Mary. Sounds like a must read for this 50-something runner, looking to PR in Boston 2010. Ya baby, bring it on!

Judi said...

girl, i am stronger now than i ever have been. not growing up with an athletic backround, then drugs for 10 years, and at 39 i can run a 7:55 mile (ok, i have only done it one time, but still). and i can swim 100's on 1:45 - after freaking SMOKING for 20 years? Oh and I can even swim underwater ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE POOL. so WTF.

i think it's drive, determination, and with age, you get better. your joints don't handle it as well, so you have to take extra care. moving into 40 is NOT a bad thing.

xxoo-
judi

Running and living said...

This is filled with hope, I love it. It's amazing how we set limits for ourselves - it's not us, in fact, it's the culture and context of our lives. I am so glad that we have more rolemodels which show that age does not necessarily mean slowing down! I certainly have gotten faster since I started training one year ago, and I am planning to get even faster in the upcoming years! Now if only exercise took care of sagging skin and wrinkles...

Ted said...

Another excellent, if non-scientific, entry. The sad fact is that performance begins to peak and decline in the mid-30s. Yeh, some "abberants" like Tores and Armstrong remain competitive in their late 30s and 40s. And some folks never really trained for performance in their younger years, and now that they do, they are laying done PRs. As a 46 year old, I am looking for new, legal ways to improve performance given the inexorable decline in V02 max. Last year, it was a new pacing strategy; this year, the plan is lower weight. Not sure about 2011, yet.

P.S. Dara likely uses PEDs (spends too much time in Italy)
P.P.S. Where did you find that old picture of me back when I used to shave my chest?

Anonymous said...

so youre saying theres hope for me? i cant get much slower! heehee

Kim said...

thats me kim by the way. not sure about this anon shit

Regina said...

I have to believe that there is hope after 40. In fact I don't think I ever doubted it. Always an athlete, I didn't start competing in triathlons until this year at age 41. And yes, I started out in the very AG you are dreading and it is fierce.

I am one of the people who is content with improvement. I don't expect to win my AG especially when I have arrived so late to the game. I do, on the other hand expect to get faster, better and smarter, despite my advancing age. I refuse to believe it isn't possible.

Another reason why we do seem to improve in our advancing age (and this is just my opinion), is we are more disciplined than we were in our 20's. I sure as hell know I am. I might have been satisfied with breaking a record at 20, but now, I'd want to break the record that broke the record.

Have no fear of 40, it's just a number.

Michelle Simmons said...

OMG I had posters of Steve Lundquist on my wall when I was a kid too. HOT HOT HOt that one.

I love it that we get faster as we get older. I am a much better cyclist/runner now than I've ever been. I think it's bc we know so much more about how to train and we are disciplined.

Anonymous said...

Very funny that this post exactly ties in to my comment on my age on FB today. I too am a little scared of the big 4-0 staring me in the face. I do also take solace in both Melissa and Maria who continue to smoke out there. It takes a little effort to be positive about it.
I'll try if you do! :)
Rose

Kate Parker said...

I LOVE this post. Love it.

My 33 year old self would totally kick my 23 year old self's ass. In everything....well, maybe not drinking beer and eating McDonalds. I was way better at that stuff then.

Swimming for ME said...

Yup just checked the National Masters Swimming Top 10 times for 2009 and it's true.... 40-44 is more competitive than 35-39! It is not just running.

Ange said...

I'm all over this!! 40+is where it's at! we are definately so much stronger now!
I forgot about STeve Lundquist! I had him up there too...

Unknown said...

Wow, this was one of the best posts I've read in a long time...it really hit home. It only gets better for me every year and there are no limits for me...thanks for inspiring!

mjcaron said...

Horray! Now I have someone who can back up what I've been trying to convince myself of since I turned 40. It's true what you say. We've just been programmed to think otherwise.

Jennifer Harrison said...

RIGHT ON MARY! I think a lot of us are turning 40 all too soon. I should have started Triathlon later in life (instead of at the age of 24!!!) so probably not too many PRs for me, but if I can stay competitive in my AG, I am happy! :))

FUN post!

Molly said...

I hope you're right! Lately I've believed I peaked at 27, and I'm only 30. This gives me some hope :)

kerrie said...

me too - i'm like fine wine...i keep getting better with age. part of it is more confidence, part of it is being smarter, but i think a big part of it is finally having all of my sh!t more or less together. i can hardly wait until i turn 40 :0)

Rainmaker said...

Interesting post - and gives me much to look forward to.

Though, I'm still disappointed that as you say - I'm no longer a spring chicken. :(

Unknown said...

Hi Mary,
I hope it was okay, I quoted Liz' quote by Dara Torres and gave her the credit and you and your blog too...I just loved that quote and I used it on my blog today. It just seemed to fit perfectly. Hope this was okay!
Thanks, love your blog!
meg

Velma said...

Great post, as always. 40 holds a ton of promise because you have made the choice to continue to embrace change and challenge. It is going to be a great year (and birthday).

I read the book as well, and I might check it out again from the library. I learned a lot of things. First, rest matters - a lot. She took a lot of time off and did other activities to keep in shape. When she is competing she keeps a staff on board to keep her limber and to recover quickly. She also keeps very strong tabs on her diet and uses a lot of supplements. Finally, she embraces quality, not quantity workouts. No more junk miles for the heck of it.

I am so glad that I am have grown beyond my 20s. I could kick my old selfs ass.

RunningMama said...

I love your musing on the loss of unanswered questions as a youth. A lot of my questions are answered...who I married, where will I live, will I have children...and yet I find that uch of my life still lay ahead of me. While you give hope for my 30s and 40s...what after that? We will all likely live until our 80s, 90s, and beyond, but how will we appreciate this longevity?