Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Turkeys and Tri Rage

It is the time of year for Turkey Trots. This year I will not be trotting, however. My foot is still funky, and I don't want to race on it. Instead, I'll be watching all of my fellow GNRC turkey-mates trotting this Sunday. I plan to gobble at them, or throw mashed potatoes at them if they are too slow, or something like that.

It's also better that I don't run given that I am a bit out-of-shape.I'm fine with being out of shape, but I am not fine with trying to run four fast miles after doing nothing for the last month. It's just a bad idea for so many reasons, not the least of which is my oh-so-fragile ego.

Kidding. It's not that fragile.

This week I have spent applying for sponsorships from companies who will almost certainly not sponsor me. I did get a response from Sugoi. They have a group called the Sugoi Brand Champions. So, yes, I am now a BRAND champion. What this means is that I get to wear Sugoi products and be gaga over them, and in return I get discounts on some clothing. I am happy about this, but not as happy as I would be if they simply sent me lots of clothing for free. I also applied to PowerBar and to Splish.
Yes, I know, dream on.
PowerBar: me, Victor Plata and Tim DeBoom
Splish: me, Rachel Ross and Bree Wee.

One of these peeps is NOT like the other... hum de dum.
Still, you never know. I tried to explain that I have a glowing personality and a sharp wit, and that I'm sure if they sponsored me I could get y'all to buy PowerBar and Splish exclusively. You'd do that for me, right?

In other news, my friend Melissa and I are starting a new triathlon club. That's right! If you're local, if you're not already encumbered in one of those other flimsy tri teams, then we want YOU!
We will be called---.... drum roll....

Tri Rage.

RRR. I think Suburban Tri Rage might be even better... Or maybe -Middle Age Tri Rage- or something like that. But for now, we are Tri Rage. Melissa just sent in the club application to USA Triathlon, so very soon we will be official...

These are the things our very cool club will offer:
* Time spent with Melissa and Me--. Need I say more on that?
* Group rides at many different levels (or maybe one level until we get more than just Mel and me to join).
* Camaraderie at races. We'll definitely come up with a fab. racing kit, too.
* Swim workouts via Westwood Masters (which will begin this winter at the Westwood pool).
* Stroke development offered on Sunday mornings at the Westwood Pool. (I'm still working on making this happen.)
* Open Water Swimming as a club at Farm Pond in Dover. (summer months only, of course.)
* Runs with our sister club, GNRC.
* Social get-togethers at which we eat and drink!

Not sure what else. It would be nice to offer PowerBar products and Splish suits at a discount....

Anyway, it's sure to be all the rage.... bahaha.
 What are the attributes of a fabulous tri club? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
Gracias.
And please join if you don't live in say, Illinois, or Hawaii, or Ohio, or Virginia, or California--which pretty much takes out most my readers, I know.

14 comments:

justme said...

the tri group i joined was great, the best part was that they had ocean swims every weekend in the summer. they also had bricks every weekend and they had various seminars regarding things like what to pack in your bag OR transition stuff. it was great....

i want them to have a reality show of mid age suburb moms who get in shape to do a tri....and they film us with trainers who kick our ass.

Michelle Simmons said...

Really? I can't join? Grrrr. I'm enRAGED.

Velma said...

You have to allow virtual members of your club. Make black t-shirts - that would be tough.

I really like my tri club. We get discounts from local retailers, but I like the group dynamic the best. We have seminars and have a tent at races.

Good luck with the club!

Rainmaker said...

I can't join? I don't feel loved anymore. You said you loved me. :(

Kim said...

ohhh can i buy sugoi products through you?! and can i come to some of your tri-club meet ups?! you know, just for the social ones bc you ladies are WAYYY too fast for me.

Kristina said...

Awesome about the club! I'd join, except for that pesky biking and swimming requirement.
And if you don't get Splish, I'll sponsor you with undesirable Cafe Press crap.

maria conley said...

I love this tri club idea, Mary. Do you take any slow`poke like ME. Three days at the pool for me this week. Take care of your foot please. I shouldn't run either due to an achy knee. But the GNRCers need me. I hope to do them well!!xoxo

Pining for Pinterest said...

How exciting to start a new club! I am jealous :-)

Regina said...

hmmm....I'm in NYC, close enough and yet far enough away for your tri club? I just applied to the Brooks ID program, talk about bahaha, I'm far less qualified than you are, far less.

Sugoi is cool though.

I hope you get splish, I have my eye on one...

If I don't die at Mooseman, I'll likely do it again next year. I looked at REV3 and many race reports; I am a coward. It isn't the race for me yet. You will rock it though.

Swimming for ME said...

Got to admire your ingenuity and determination IronMatron! I hope you get it ALL.

Unknown said...

I will definitely join...as long as I don't have to swim or ride a bike.

And please aim your mashed potatoes at Don this Sunday. I need all the help I can get.

Psycho said...

WHAT????? You're not racing the TT? With team money at stake! And the potential to beat "that other club"!
Can you teach me to swim? So I can join Tri-Rage (love that name BTW).

Running and living said...

The club is such a great idea! And splish and power bar should totally sponsor you! They do need someone in this part of the country, don't they?

mjcaron said...

I just love when I get extra hits from your site. :)