Sunday, November 22, 2009

My daughter Jordan, age 8, had her first swim meet last Friday night. Here she is after her debut swim in the 25 free.



She started with the 25 fly. Only she did the 25 free by mistake. Luckily, this was a "practice" meet and so they let her do the fly when everyone else did the free. She raced all 25s--in every stroke--fly (free), free (fly), back and breast.
Seems to me that she may be a flyer!
She swam:
25 sec. in the 25 fly
27 sec. in the 25 back
28 sec. in the 25 free
32 sec. in the 25 breast

I'm proud of her. It was just so cool to see her up on the blocks in her little blue suit. She worked so hard. Watching her make it to the end of that 25 fly was inspirational.

_________________________

I found the reactions to my Going Long post interesting, although I wish more of you had piped in. I'm curious as to what everyone thinks...

I haven't changed my song when it comes to my belief system around training. I'm still more of a quality girl over a mileage girl. I still believe in carefully parceled out intensity to bring one both durability and speed. I still believe that one should err on the side of less than more. I still believe the goal is to make it to the starting line injury free and with a little vim left in one's pocket.

But I think it's important to recognize the data available to me following my 2009 season. The simple fact is that I PR'd at the shorter distances while training for a longer one. This may not be what happens to most athletes. Perhaps I am an exception. Or, perhaps I have been PR-ing because I just began triathlon in 2007, and so I'm still experiencing the first rash of PRs that comes when one starts a sport anew. 

I'm just wondering, though, if  it's the volume of my training that has contributed to the faster times--the volume of my training, combined with the fact that I have built up that volume gradually over the last three years, and my body can now handle more than it could in the past. I certainly agree that the goal should be to be as consistent as possible in one's training, and that comes when one does not overdo it in any one workout. However, if you have built up the endurance to DO more training--both in terms of intensity and hours-- in prep for say, an Olympic, AND you have the (unrealistic scenario) blessing of your family to go ahead with such hours, should you?

Because as I said in my last post, racing a 1/2 Ironman with intensity and courage, with conviction and power, was a hell of a lot easier on my way to IM, then it was when the 1/2 IM was the final destination.

14 comments:

David said...

I'm planning to run a marathon distance in training before I actually toe the line in one, hopefully more than once. Those training plans that topped out 20M seemed suspect to me. What are you supposed to run the last 10k on, guts?
I'm hoping by the time I get to that point I'll be able to look at it as fun, the way a long walk on a gorgeous winter morning is fun (only with more scenery).

Velma said...

I love kid swim meets. It just blows me away that children that age can do fly. Fantastic.

I agree, in part, about going long. I think that this philosophy is most important for more experienced athletes. I also think that going long gives you a mental edge. I had my most fun race this summer in a half marathon while training for a marathon. I just kept thinking 13.1 - no problemo after so many long runs.

At the same time, it is pretty easy to get injured, so this philsophy is high risk but high reward.

Ange said...

WAY TO GO JORDAN!!!! SO so awesome. I'm so proud of her! :o)

I ran my 2nd fastest marathon after only running 15 miles before. Ok, I was only 24. But still. I would never recommend this to anyone but hey.... just saying. It's an interesting tidbit of mine.

there are many many factors to consider when planning someone's trainig approach. And while your body was absolutely prepared to fight hard for 56 miles during that PR half IM....a lot of it is in our heads. Psychologically....one is ready to crush a Half or an Oly when training for something twice it's length. It is also critical to have trained for speed and intensity and not just longer distances. One must be sharp.
You said that too though. :)

Running and living said...

OK, your daughter is so fast! Can she teach me how to be such a speedy swimmer! Seriously, she IS faster than I am!
The more I read about running, the more I realize how everyone is different. I say, if you think you can handle more training, and believe it will help you, why not experiment? You will never know otherwise...

Judi said...

your little girl is awesome! how fun mary!

Regina said...

Yeah Jordan!!! Way to go girl!

I have had similar thoughts as I am about to embark on training for my first half IM. This past summer was my first at triathlon. Since my 70.3 is in early June (really the beginning of the tri season in the east) it makes me wonder how the rest of my races will fare compared to last season.

I expect to do better, but HOW much better is what I am most curious about. Will I kill the sprints? Will I see significant improvement in the Oly's? Fingers crossed.

MaineSport said...

I agree that your PR's (which are a little hard to quantify in the first place) are a result of 3 years of dedication to the sport. It can also help to have a component of "overdistance" in the plan. But that can't be the key part.

Michelle said...

"...Or, perhaps I have been PR-ing because I just began triathlon in 2007, and so I'm still experiencing the first rash of PRs that comes when one starts a sport anew...."

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! :)

GoBigGreen said...

Ahh memories...we just didnt wear goggles back in the day! too funny in retrospect. Our eyes must have looked pretty shot!
As for the volume...sorry i am not tuned into blog reading yet but from what i read I CAN say that for riding when i was just biking and biking alot i rode faster than i do when training for 3 sports. Duh. that is obvious. I think when you look at the single sport training the volume piece is huge, when you put them all together i think the intensity piece is what ( at least for me) is what helps get you to the PR. Just IMO:)

John said...

Yay Jordan! And I think you're right about the training. My half times were much faster the more marathon training I did, and my marathon time was faster the more long and fast workouts I did.

maria conley said...

Go, go Jordan!!! She is the future olympic rock start.. I don't know what the formula is about training volume less/more. I will leave this one for my coach!!

Amanda said...

hmm...i've experienced the same as you with training. Quality this year over last year's quantity brought me better race times...BUT I only started at the beginning of 2008. So, I feel as though my experience is botched by beginner's luck :)
I do believe that there is something to be said for training for longer distances, simply because it gives you mental toughness not acquired with short stuff (IMO).

jjac said...

As Pam said "Show me what your really made of Iron Man, shmiron man --- Can you still drink a beer -- see you at our holiday party.

Katie said...

First off...Nice job Jordan!

As far as training goes...Lately I've been thinking that runners are like babies. Each one is different. There isn't a formula that can be used for all. That's why there are tons of books out there with tons of different programs.

The last couple years I've been experimenting a bit. I'm not sure that I can peak using something like FIRST. I've tried less mileage with greater intensity and it's just not working for me, but it seems to work for many. I need to run more miles, and I need to run many of them at an easy pace, but that's just me. ;)