Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bagels, 80's Dieting, Cavewomen and a lot of Rambling.

Bagels used to be my absolute favorite food. I liked them with butter and raspberry jam. Way back when, Andy and I would go out for breakfast every Sunday (we are talking pre-kid days, of course) and we would read the paper and drink coffee and eat bagels. Man, I loved Sunday mornings.

Anyway.
Bagels were not always considered evil food. I grew up in the 70's/80's. The 80's were all about low-fat and no meat. Carbs were just fine... everybody loved carbs. In order to lose weight in the 80's you simply cut your calories to near starvation, ate no fat, and exercised to Jane Fonda or Richard Simmons.

Here is a snapshot of dieting in the 80's. 

It's the summer after Mary's freshman year in college. Mary has made it her goal to be an itsy-bitsy, skinny minny coming back to school in the fall. Beer weight has caught up with her, and some....

Breakfast: an apple and one tall glass of water with lemon. 
Lunch:  One slice of 40 calorie non-fat fake cheese and one piece of iceburg lettuce and a little non-fat mayo sandwiched between two, 40-calorie pieces of white bread. For dessert -- a few carrot sticks, and a glass of water.  
Snack: 0 calorie, non-fat, artificially sweetened Frozen Yogurt at TCBY. 
Dinner: Bland chicken breast that had been pre-measured on a little white scale to insure it was not more than a few ounces. A glass of water. Iceburg lettuce, carrots, cucumbers and diet crotons with a little 0 calorie, non-fat, artificially sweetened salad dressing.  Dessert: One non-fat, artificially sweetened Snackwell brownie or cookie.

Exercise: Aerobics (lift those knees!) in the basement while listening to Come on Eileen...


That's how we did it.

I remember I dropped more than 20 pounds in six weeks, so lest you think starvation diets don't work, (at least in terms of actually dropping poundage) I'm here to tell you that they do--at least as well as eating all lean meat and the appropriate (not starchy, non-legume, not too sweet) fruits and vegetables. Are starvation diets a la the 80's wise? Healthy? Reasonable? Well... nooo.....
but in my humble opinion neither is denying yourself 97% of the fucking foods in the ordinary grocery store when you attempt to eat like a cavewoman.

(Important aside** I should add that when I went back to school in the fall, I gained that 20 back in under six weeks drinking case after case of beer. Starvation diets don't work in that you gain it all back as soon as you stop starving yourself, especially if you are in college, drinking a lot, and ordering pizza at 3 a.m. in a drunken stupor. But you already knew that.)

2010:
These days carbs, especially refined carbs, are just. not. cool. In 2010 in order to lose weight you can't just cut calories to near starvation, eat no fat and jam to Jane Fonda.  No, in 2010 we lose weight in quite a different way: we ban the carbs (except for the fruit and veggie carbs--and we even lose some of those), eat more protein, and often end up with ketosis (love that metallic taste and oh so barf-a-licious breath!). Jane is still fine, I suppose--but you no longer need to the leg warmers to lose weight.You just need to exercise for at least 30 minutes a day--preferably by doing yoga, pilates, or Zumba.

Yoga and Zumba are okay, but it's really a bummer about the refined carbs. I miss bagels.

So why the hell am I writing about this?
Same old same old... because....

I want to crush IM CDA.  I want to crush every race I do this season. So, like you, I'm looking at all ways to do that--all things that contribute to the I can crush it picture. Diet is obviously one of those contributors. The message I keep getting is that I need to go back to my cavewoman roots in terms of diet. Agrarian life just fucked us all right up. The word is that you shouldn't eat anything that needs to be grown and you shouldn't eat domesticated animals unless they were grass-fed or fish unless they were able to swim in the wild and not in a little pen.

I've been thinking about this.

Listen, I know I'm jaded. But don't you think it's just a little bit possible that banning all foods that are associated with civilization (as in civilized, as in human-made and grown) --is ummmm, maybe, WRONG?

We were so damn sure in the 1980's that eating fat would make us fat. We are concrete people: fat in = fat on.
In the 1990's we began to realize that hey, maybe that just ain't right... hmmmm, although we still hung to the idea that calories were the problem. Nutri-system and Lean Cuisine made a butt-load on us by convincing us that if we just at their shit, we'd lose it all. Stupid, yes, but at least we were still allowed carbs.

By 2000 carbs were down down down. It's not that fat will make you fat. It's not that you need to buy pre-packaged meals to lose weight. No. That's naive. Atkins had come along with his ketosis revolution , and we got all-lighted and followed him like he was Jesus. That is, until he dropped dead of a heart attack. A little too much bacon maybe? Talk about irony.

We have it figured out now, though.

The problem is that over 10,000 years ago our super-smarty pants ancestors finally stopped moving around long enough to realize that if they just penned those damn animals and planted those damn seeds, they would maybe, just maybe, not starve! They could stay in one place! They could.... gasp.... have food at their disposal!  So smart, our ancestors...
Except. By setting up shop, they denied their roots, and doing so caused them, and us, our health.

Crazy. Just crazy.
But you know what the really crazy thing is?
The crazy thing is that I am starting to buy it!
Just like I did the no fat starvation diet, just like a bought myself the Lean Cuisines, just like I purchased the Bible de Atkins....
I am now buying that I need to go Paleo, too.

And so tomorrow I'll go to Whole Foods and get myself some grass-fed elk and bison, I'll bring my list of good vegetables and bad vegetables (tough shit, though, I'm still eating legumes). I'll try to rid myself of my Wheat Chex breakfast, replacing it with low-sugar fruit and some eggs laid by grass fed chickens. And I'll remember that those Cro-Magnon men and women had it all right and that civilization just fucked me all up. Thank God I get it now.

Oh, and while I'm busy thanking, Thank God my ancestors were smart enough to start farming, so that there would eventually be places like Whole Foods, where I can buy the shit I need to be just like a fucking Cavewoman. Thank God.

30 comments:

Running and living said...

Mary, you are very small, so small that if you get smaller you disappear! I liked much more your diet of 10 veggies and fruits (which I've adopted, by the way). Oh, and did you see the snapshot diets of some famous runners and triathletes in Matt's book on Running Weight? Wow, such variety! And was it Chrissy that was eating like 2 bagels/day? Anyhow, I think that you are going to crush all your races this year anyway, bc of your amazing fighting spirit and tolerance of pain.

kT said...

That made me laugh, because it is so true that I have a different relationship to bagels now than I did 20 years ago. I just read "Race Weight" for similar reasons (looking to be more crushtastic in 2010), and while so many of the ideas make sense (and are even appealing from a culinary sense), it makes me a little sad. I worked pretty hard to develop a healthy relationship with food, and part of that is just simply enjoying it sometimes without freaking overanalyzing every bite. Sigh.

Pining for Pinterest said...

Oh how I miss bagels! Especially Einstein Bagel Veggie Bagel sandwiches :(

Casey said...

Hilarious. I had almost completely forgotten about Snackwells. I loved the devil's food cookies. My family and I could tear through a box of those in an evening.

I worked at a health food store during Atkin's heyday. It was a stinky, stinky place to be with people in bad moods because they hadn't had a single carb in eons. We sold the ketone strips. We'd hear people exclaim "I'm in ketosis!" leaving the bathroom.

Diets. They are hilarious in hindsight.

Casey said...

But good luck with your cavewoman diet! I look forward to hearing how you do! You are going to do great in your races this year, with or without the elk!

Ange said...

can you eat peanut butter if you go turn into a cavewoman? :)
seriously....just be smart.

CAM said...

Have you read Eating Animals? How about Born to Run? There are many sides to these issues- make sure you choose a path that works for you. I think a lot of it is personal. And I also think life is too short to be weighing food on a scale before you eat...
Good luck!

Molly said...

I just came across your blog, and had to check it out when I saw the words bagel in your post! I keep a stash of Long Island bagels in my freezer for the times I'm craving one....it's all about balance right? : )

Tricia said...

We aren't supposed to eat bagels?

Darn...there goes my breakfast.

I lean more towards moderation than towards excluding anything. I'm pretty sure 20 years from now I won't be saying, "If only I hadn't been so darn moderate with what I ate...."

That being said, I'm not the same level of athelete as you....so to each their own. :)

Ange said...

and I will always love bagels.

The Mommy said...

Did you watch Oprah today, too?

Bob Turner said...

You crack me up Mary!

solobreak said...

All us locals should debate this over pizza and Guinness at BBC.

Unknown said...

Oh God, I so remember dieting in the 80's. Eating anything equaled guilt and shame. That was an ugly time. Today, I eat to fuel for power and strength, endurance and fire. I have come so far...

Regina said...

I felt like I was reading my own life history on dieting. I can't tell you the weight lost in the 80's via starvation (regained) and the weight lost using Atkins (regained). I'm so sick of obsessing about my food.

I just started reading Racing Weight...what am I getting myself into. For crying out loud, I live in the bagel capitol of the world! I want to cry (and I LOVE raspberry jam....sigh)

Velma said...

I feel your pain. I went to a Paleo presentation a few weeks ago(I am still finishing my post). I have been on the Paleo diet for a few weeks, and it seems to work for me. I think the key is timing. You can have some carbs - just make it after a long run as part of your recovery. The diet does suck for a week, but it gets much easier. My cravings for carbs are gone, and I really enjoy carbs when I do eat them for recovery. Good luck! You are going to crush the race - with or without bagels.

justme said...

i believe for my first 30 years of life i had a lenders bagel everyday

Jennifer Harrison said...

I LOVE BAGELS.
I remember years ago - at St. Croix...I was having a post-race dinner and Lisa Bentley was there. Someone randomly asked her what "treat" she was going to have after her race to celebrate....and her answer?? "A choc. chip bagel."

Hmmm, I was eating bagels frequently then....that is when it hit me...this was in 04 or 05, I think.

I just try to eat local, eat as much organic as much as feasible, eat clean, don't eat out of boxes, I take MonaVie, which is a vitamin (all fruit/veggie blend)....I do what I can...but, for me, eliminating an entire GROUP of food does not work. If I want my M&Ms, I eat them. But, there are no "rewards" for me - so I just try to eat as well as i can.

I do crave carbs - who doesn't? But, as long as I time the carbs after the workouts - in a smaller window - I think that works best for me.

And, I have to admit, not much makes me as happy as a Sat or Sun AM at a bagel shop w/ the family having a bagel w/ Peanut butter & hot tea. So, we do that too.

:)

Amanda said...

As always, a hilariously entertaining read. And admittedly, I've been reading Mark's Daily Apple....and been thinking long and hard on paleo...but well, I like apples and peanut butter and sandwiches. And beer. Which is probably why I could stand to lose about 7 lbs.
Good luck. Can't wait to hear how it affects ya.

Michelle said...

Oh, don't tell me that the Racing Weight book is another Paleo book in disguise!!!!!!!! I really want to get this but have exactly zero interest in Paleo.

Kim said...

mmm bagels. and thanks ange for bringing up peanut butter.

im with solobreak :)

Anonymous said...

This is craziness!

Nick Holt said...

I personally am on the "Ocean Park Sea Gull Diet." No, I don't eat the sea gulls, I eat like sea gulls do. They see something. They eat it. Even if it doesn't taste good. Even if it will kill ya. I figure if sea gulls can eat raw fish, half buried-in-the-sand peanut butter sandwiches, Big Macs somehow obtained from the OOB trash cans, twice their weight in dropped, sandy potato chips, etc, etc, and still fly like Johnathan Seagull, well, heck. Why not give it a try?

Pete H said...

Relax...you are an endurance athlete. The most important component of your diet is carbs. Remember, glycogen comes from carbs? So go for a run and chow down on your favorite bagel to recover.

Swimming for ME said...

So wait I might swim faster if I changed my diet?

Nah... like eating what I want when I want too much.

I'll use you as my test case and see how it works out.

:)

Kristina said...

Jesus, you are on today. But for fuck's sake, please tell me you're going to eat the bacon wrapped shit that comes on the tapas plate with me on Monday and not bring organic kale in a Ziploc.

Judi said...

mary,

paleo diet - eat like a caveman. veggies, fruit, meat. no grains, no dairy.

i could never do it.

i was laughing so hard to your diet in the 80's. all i ate was grapefruit (don't tell me you didn't do the grapefruit diet), black coffee, and saltines. and then occasionally i'd cram a bag of fritos down my throat in the library when nobody was looking.

and the aerobics classes? girl, i TAUGHT aerobics to depeche mode! in pink and blue spandex. i was THERE in the 80's!

great post. you always rock.

XO.

rungirl said...

I have a lot to say about this. Weight and athletes ... big topic. I've done things right and I've done things wrong. Really wrong!!

Anyway, I am constantly tweaking my diet. Anything to be leaner. I have switched to organic eggs, organic carrot juice, whole wheat bread, nothing out of a box, nothing processed, bison, and on and on and on.

What I have found is that I take what I like and find a way to make it healthy. Period.

At the end of the day, as athletes, we know our bodies. We know what we should and shouldn't do. We know what works and what doesn't. Be smart, be healthy.

Anonymous said...

Life's too short for such self imposed suffering for cryin' out loud. Just keep it in moderation and try to enjoy yourself occassionally. Good grief... go get a bagel tomorrow - it is Sunday afterall!

Rose

Rainmaker said...

I think you've been doing some Mark's Daily Apple reading (or Paleo)...

Agree in principal, but also agree with Rosy - everything in moderate works out if done right. Though certain foods should never be moderated...i.e. cookies and milk. Just sayin'...