Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Systems, Individuals, and Being Seen

I've been thinking about what it takes to be a good coach.

I'd like to think I'm an accepting, non-judgmental person, but the truth is that I have quite particular ideas as to what makes someone worthy of my respect or not, especially when it comes to coaching. The person needs to be experienced, intelligent, well-read (in the field, although well-read in general is a good sign), have basic command over written language, sure of her/himself, capable of defending her/himself and her/his ideas without become overly defensive, and she/he must have proven results with athletes whom she/he has coached. These are my most basic requirements, and frankly, they are hard to argue with, with the possible exception of the command over language thing.  I have a problem with sloppy writing--I equate it with sloppy thinking--but I think that is likely only my little issue.

Anyway.

Those are the things I profess to think are essential in a coach.

But. I'm kinda kidding myself. 

What I really want in a coach--what I really long for in a coach-- has far less to do with textbook knowledge or a proven record, and far more to do with how I think said coach regards ME.
(It's all about me.)

Before I go further, I want you to all know that I actually have the quintessential good coach.  This post wasn't inspired by my need of one, but rather my observation of other coaches in my midst, and also reflecting on myself as a coach, and where I stand up and where I am flawed.  So onward.

I taught sixth grade forever, and one thing I learned over the years is that if a child believed I truly liked him/her, truly thought he/she was capable, and trusted that I was genuinely interested in him/her as a person and not just a student, then he/she would work for me. I would have no discipline problems, no missed homework, and the kid would give me everything he/she could muster in-class. Being able to convince the student of this is the secret to good middle-school teaching.

I believe adults are no different than sixth graders.
In fact, I would argue that adults are even more in need of this kind of attention than sixth graders. There are reasons for this, but I won't get into them in this post.

I'm not trying to say that a coach needs to be a therapist, coddling and cuddling and making the athelte feel special.  I, like you, know full well I am neither special nor unique, especially as an athlete. My issues are common, my injuries textbook, my psychological make-up a certain type (which is to say OCD, ADD, and incredibly intense) which is, of course, quite common for those pursuing LC triathlon. 

I chatted with a friend this weekend when out celebrating Ange and Mark's 40th birthdays. He had recently hired a coach, but was despondent upon finding out that said coach hadn't even fully read the questionnaire he had so carefully filled out before making out his first block of training.  The plan didn't take into consideration his prior training, his goals, his special concerns. It fit him into a system. Granted, this is a system that works for many individuals, but it is a system none the less. It didn't take into consideration things he needed and wanted taken into consideration. It hadn't take into consideration his intensity, and the intensity at which he had hoped to train.

And that was it. Coach gone.

A good coach tries to figure out WHAT he/she is dealing with before making out a schedule. It's quite possible that said athlete needs to be saved from his own intensity, but to deny that intensity -- to simply ignore it and try to pigeon-hole him into a particular coaching scheme ain't going to work either.

There are people who view the world in terms of systems--in terms of the way things should be. But people are much more complicated than any one system can handle. There may be one really good way to teach writing to sixth graders, but I can tell you right now that that system won't work unless the child buys into it too. And there is the rub: the child--and the adult athlete--won't buy into it unless you convince the child of your loyalty and interest in him FIRST.

I plan to be a good coach. I plan to give the right workouts, in the right order. I plan to know my shit. I plan to pick the brains of every coach I respect to find out their secrets, and I plan to steal those secrets and use them myself. (jk, sort of. ) I plan to work hard, to think carefully, to try to not be defensive (a few of you likely realize how hard that will be for me...) and to practice what I preach.
More than anything, though, I plan to respect the individual--to figure out what makes him/her work --and how to get him/her to work for me--so we can create greatness together.

I'm not even sure exactly what I'm saying here. But I do know I'm right.

22 comments:

Lucho said...

So, why are you training in Zone 4 24 weeks out from Ironman?

GetBackJoJo said...

Lucho, I'd answer that if I could figure out how it connects to what I just wrote.
or are you just testing me on the defensive thing? If so, I can take a deep breath and be really cool about answering... :)

Lucho said...

Mostly just fucking with you :) But seriously, why do you as an individual need high intensity at this moment?

Kristina said...

Anyone who gives this much thought to a coaching ethos has gone further than most coaches to succeed with their clients. I'd let you coach me, but there must be some rule about those who kvetch and drink together shall not coach each other.

GetBackJoJo said...

Because, Lucho, I need intensity every moment.
It's a problem--

Jennifer Harrison said...

Lucho, there is NO Issue w/ some short pickups in zone 4 and some small intense intervals in all 3 sports to keep the neuro-muscular system firing and legs and lungs working hard. All this zone 1-2 stuff is super and should be the base of the workouts/week/month at this time -but NO zone 4 work - even just a sprinkle here and there well...makes flat and slow athletes. AND it is not for everyone. FOR Mary in particular, it works for her. Some athletes can NOT do zone 4 even for 1 min in January. IT goes back to the client/ athlete relationship and what works - not the 'stock' programs or "theories" for everyone. (not saying that is what you do...just making a point).

I personally work in zone 4 in shorter periods in January - HELLO HILL REPEATS and I have no issues.


And, a good coach does think thru every individuals' needs and what works for them. Resonpsiveness for each athlete - not only objectively - but most importantly, subjectively. I don't care what the numbers say if the athlete is a TOTAL wreck day in and day out!

Also, I spend a ton of time thinking about this topic. Why some coaches are good and some are not and I think that the general athlete's expectations are off. They should DEMAND responsiveness, uniqueness and specificity for them....and if they don't, then they are not maximizing their coach OR their coach is not the right fit for them. Each client is as different as each coach.

mjcaron said...

I love my coach.

GetBackJoJo said...

I love your coach, too, Mel! weep weep!

Michelle Simmons said...

I like this post. I know that for myself, part of the reason that I hired Jen last year is because I just really wanted someone to really care about ME and my workouts... I wanted someone to report to... someone who cared and believed in me. And it worked!
And now I get to be that person for several others. It's really cool. And I find myself *wanting* to coach several local athletes that I know bc I *believe* in them- probably more than they believe in themselves... and I think with a little help and direction they could go so much further than they've gone before. So yes, I like this post. And I think that some Z4 stuff right now is good. Too much of it is not good. But some of it here and there is good for our brains. My 2 cents.

Lucho said...

I understand the physiology, really! I know a little bit. I'm not asking what the benefits of Z4 work for people in general are. I was asking Mary why Z4. I read on her blog that she had 'off' blood tests and an injured foot. Just curious.
I don't mean to make everyone defensive!

Running and living said...

Mary, your blog is getting more and more entertaining. Love it! Now I have to stop being self conscious about my writing (kidding!). You are absolutely right! We all like to feel important, cared for, believed in, etc, etc. I think that your trick with the 6 graders can work wonders with adults, too. In fact, I know it does:) You are going to be a grea coach; the OCD and ADD tendencies can only help!

John said...

"More than anything, though, I plan to respect the individual--to figure out what makes him/her work --and how to get him/her to work for me--so we can create greatness together."

That right there says it all, and I think it applies as much to being a coach as it does to being coached. If you can do that, no matter which side of the equation you're on, you'll be great at whatever it is you're doing.

Unknown said...

I LOVE this post, very fun to read the comments too! I think you're putting a lot of thought into this and that's cool!

The Miller Family said...

Can you put your contact information on your blog - or e-mail me as I would be interested in your coaching

Pedergraham said...

Mary, as usual, I enjoyed reading your writing. I had not considered before what teaching 6th graders might be like---and the similarities between being coached and being taught. It made me wonder if there is a certain personality type or gender that gravitates towards this "belief need". Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts... BTW, my daugter's kindergarten teacher is not a "proper" writer--most of his sentences seem to be run-ons or incomplete with confusion between their/there, etc. He is a wonderful teacher, but I have to try so hard not to focus on the grammar.

Kim said...

Zone 4?! wtf are you thinking? get your ass back into 5 hours at Z1 :)

i love our coach :)

xoxo

Michelle said...

Great post Mary! After hearing more and more stories about coaches who give their athletes cookie cutter programs, I realize that I hit the jackpot when I chose mine. The whole point of getting a coach is to have an individualized plan - it might take some time to completely figure that out (it took us 2 years to work out my late fall / early winter tantrum syndrome, but I didn't realize I had this affliction when I was training myself - the discovery process never ends), but it should be something that is constantly evolving throughout the relationship. Otherwise, pulling a plan off BT or any other training website or book would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

A good coach is a great thing.

Jessica said...

I think you have a passion for this, which is obvious, and that you will be a great coach!!

Regina said...

I HEART my coach. As for the getting to know me bit...I have the bill for the two hour phone call to her in HI as proof of the Q & A session before we even started.

maria conley said...

You take pride in coaching your atheletes and for that I respect you!!! I love my coach too.

Please don't hate my writing. English is my second language. I'm constant kicking my ass for being a bad writer!!!

Anonymous said...

I thought I was the only one who needs to be treated like a 6th grader... who knew?!
BTW sounds like you are well on your way to being a great coach!

Rainmaker said...

I was going to comment on how you nailed the coach-athlete relationship in your post, but then I became too entertained by the comments instead. :)