Thursday, January 7, 2010

Catching a Glimpse


 Christmas 2009. Doug (Andy's brother), Andy, Grampy (A's dad), RoRo (A's mom), Lara, me, Jordan, and Noah, who made this picture the Christmas 2009 winner.

That last post had potential. But then I got sick of writing it, and it became one of those posts that just ends before it has really started.

Perhaps it's not that I got sick of writing it.
It's more that I began to feel it was becoming what I lovingly call Christmas Letter Bullshit.

Like you, I receive Christmas cards each year with the obligatory Christmas photo enclosed. I love these cards, though truthfully I don't know quite what to do with them, save through them away in bulk in about mid-February. I love them, though, because one can catch a glimpse of the sender's family life with that photo. The adults in these pictures don't reveal their aging quite so markedly as the kids. The kids change so dramatically from year to year that sometimes it's hard to recognize them. The adults change far less. It's only when you compare a photo from five years ago to the current Christmas picture that you really can see that aging takes place with them too-- slowly and inexorably.

But I digress. These pictures are always beautiful and cheerful, conveying the family's strength and happiness. There isn't longing or pain in these photos. At least not usually. A few years back we received a Christmas card from my husband's good college friend, whose wife was dying of cancer. She was in her early thirties and her children were very young at the time. The picture was of the two kids, a girl and a boy, riding a roller coaster with their arms in the air, screaming with fear and pleasure. The caption read, "It's been a hell of a year."
She died about nine months later.
I cried very hard when I received that Christmas card. It was an honest one--so much more honest than the saccharine pictures of health and strength and happiness I had received or sent out over the years.

Again, I digress. Or maybe I don't.
The problem I  had with my previous post is that by encapsulating the last ten years I had to barely skim the surface of what they were for me. Additionally, I wanted to paint a picture of beauty-of strength-of health that others might envy. I have a loving, intelligent husband who supports my crazy obsessions; I have three beautiful children who were conceived, delivered and reared without pain or confusion or sadness. I began my running career "just  because" after Lara, my third, was born--and I qualified for Boston on my first try because that is how lovely my life has been. I am competent, intelligent, strong and an athlete. And now look at me: healthy, strong, an Ironwoman, with a strong marriage and three gorgeous children.

In short, Christmas Letter Bullshit.

I must admit it's lovely to recreate the past by illustrating it with the most choice photos.  I began to wonder, though, what would happen if I chose to post photos that illustrated a different reality? Not that there are many: generally we try to photograph the beautiful only, and make sure we trash the photos that reveal things we would rather NOT remember. But what if there were photos that I could post that showed more than just the beauty? What would the photos reveal? Can I even conjure them in my head now--or have I edited my past so thoroughly in my mind that I couldn't reach them if I tried?

I went on big ass dose of Zoloft after suffering from cripplingly --crash-my-car-into-a-tree-- depression just after my first was born. Where is the picture that shows you that?
Or where is the picture that captures how in the final year of this decade I completely broke down--quitting my job, nearly destroying the nest I had so carefully built, and working my body into oblivion so I could anesthetize it all?
Yep.  I don't have one that shows that, either.

Why do we paint these perfect pictures of ourselves for others? Do we hope to be envied? Do we hope to convince ourselves of a perfection we want-- but can only have artificially-- in a picture?  What would it be like if everyone highlighted in their Christmas letters how the last year really went down? 
__________________________________

I am reading Lance Armstrong's Biograhpy--the first one--It's Not About the Bike: My journey Back to Life.
It's well written. Kudos to Sally Jenkins.
I still can't get over how it's possible that a gifted writer, like Jenkins, can take on a project like writing in the first person from the perspective of a MAN (a man with quite a bit of extra testosterone, I will add)--and NAIL IT--I mean really get it right and make Lance sound so wise and beautiful and strong--and then NOT be recognized for that achievement. It's criminal!! The book is well-loved, well-reviewed, and has sold so many copies--but who gets the credit here? Lance Armstrong! This just doesn't seem right to me. It is Jenkins' creation of Lance Armstrong that we love. It's what she did with that raw material--the Christmas letter she created--that we adore. Lance provided the raw material, but Jenkins shaped into something of consequence, and she deserves credit for that.

Anyway.
Sally Jenkins, In Armstrong's "voice", gets at why he choose to ride when he had cancer.

Why did I ride when I had cancer? Cycling is so hard, the suffering so intense, that it's absolutely cleansing. You can go out there with the weight of the world on  your shoulders, and after a six-hour ride at a high pain threshold, you feel at peace. The pain is so deep and strong that a curtain descends over your brain. At least for a while you have a kind of hall pass, and don't have to brood on your problems; you can shut everything else out, because the effort and subsequent fatigue are absolute.  There is an unthinking simplicity in something so hard, which is why there's probably some truth to the idea that all world-class athletes are actually running away from something. Once, someone asked me what pleasure I took in riding for so long. "Pleasure?" I said. "I don't understand the question." I didn't do it for the pleasure. I did it for the pain. (85)

I liked my last post. I liked the photos I chose. But my last post is a big half-truth.
I credit Sally Jenkins for summing up so clearly how I arrived where I--(and quite possibly you, if you're reading this and are as psycho about your running/swimming/biking as I am)--am today.

I will likely be somewhere else entirely come 2020.
But for now, that is the true Decade in Review.

22 comments:

mjcaron said...

I MUST read Lance's book. I agree with Carol Holt that we are all imposters trying to look good to the world.

mjcaron said...

Ooophs, I mean Sally's book.

Ange said...

oh...yes....you got this right Mary.

Velma said...

Thank you for your honesty.

Jessica said...

So refreshingly honest--and that took a lot of guts. Thanks for sharing and congrats on not only having the insight, but the fortitude to lay it all out--it's so much easier to just go with the Christmas Letter Bullshit--but now you have us thinking.

Pining for Pinterest said...

Sooo true! Love this post :-)

Nitsirk said...

Thanks for being honest. I read other people's blogs sometimes and I wonder what I am doing wrong. Why am I not as happy as that person? I guess the reality is that you only write what you want people to read. The bottom line is that being a mom, athlete, full-time employee, wife, etc... is damn hard and sometimes we just can't be June Cleaver. It's nice to know that other women struggle too. Thanks for sharing.

Swimming for ME said...

"What would it be like if everyone highlighted in their Christmas letters how the last year really went down?"

Exactly.

xxoo

Kim said...

amen sister.

now i'm gonna go get drunk and forget the bad parts of 2009.

Kristina said...

You should read Agassi's new book--also well-written by someone who won't get the credit. He makes a similar point about tennis that Edwards made about Lance's cycling.

Related (or not), I once almost wrote an anti-Christmas letter and then decided it would be perceived as a big old middle finger to people's typical Xmas letters.

You're of course right that the chronicle of suffering is rarely documented. Positive illusions are how we cope maybe.

xox

donna furse said...

I love the picture, your son with the eyes, classic. I had to bribe my kids with TV and snacks to smile for our picture, if not I would of sent out a card with 4 kids killing each other. Based on your post I might just do it next year ( a before and after shot) what do you think. I will probably pick up Lances book to read next, thanks for the recomendation.

Running and living said...

Our brains are made so that we tend to remember the positives better than the negative. And that is a good thing. Depressed people tend to be the most accurate in their reports, but then they loose that ability once the depression goes away. So, I don't think that we are necessarily focusing on impressing others or hiding the negatives when writing Christmas letters. I do, however, think that most of us bloggers are using running/biking/swimming as a panacea or a coping mechanism. I have to keep myself on check with that everyday, and remind myself of why I do it and what my priorities are. Nice post, of course!

April Bowling said...

Whenever anyone asks me why I train for ultra-distance, my answer is always, "Because it's cheaper than therapy." They always think I'm joking... ;)

Thank you for another excellent post...

kerrie said...

that is a great post! i can barely remember what i did yesterday, let alone last year....
i did the same thing with a baby pic of my oldest- i picked one where she looked like an obese gremlin and sent it out after a million requests for a 'joyous birth announcement'. it was well worth it to see/hear people's reactions!!

Unknown said...

Boy, the critical/analytical side of you that almost went for a Ph.D. in English showed through in this gutsy, honest post. Very nice! I recognize the "Christmas letter bullshit" phenomenon so easily in others, but it's hard to see it in myself.

rungirl said...

I don't do Christmas letters. Anybody who is important to me and in my life already knows how my year went. My mom, however, is the queen of the Christmas letter bullshit. I love the way she conveniently leaves out the stuff that they swept under the rug!!

Lance ... yes, amazing book. I have read it at least 3 times. I read the second one too.

X-Country2 said...

What a thoughtful post. So true, so very very true.

Pedergraham said...

Mary, I really enjoyed reading and reflecting on this post. Keep 'em coming...and let me know what you decide to so with all the cards you recieved. I struggle with that every year.

Nick Holt said...

Noah is such an amazing kid. Watching his devious, yet delightfully honest, mind come up with the stuff that he does is mind-boggling. A highlight of my recent summers in Ocean Park for sure. When I saw the Christmas pic I had his cousin Lauren take a look. "That is soooooo Noah!" she said and we laughed with Noah for a while...

MaineSport said...

Great post, Mary. Thanks for the dose of reality.

Ange said...

sometimes I log back into this just to chuckle at Noah's expression...

Michelle Simmons said...

This post is the reason why your blog is truly one of my favorites.