Thursday, January 14, 2010

Ticking Away The Moments

frittering and wasting hours in an off-hand way.

Except it's not that off-hand. I feel the panic.
get it done. focus. get it done. move. do it now.

I need that voice--the panicked voice that won't leave me alone--to shut. the. fuck. up.
But it won't shut up, because it knows the truth. I'm not young and life is not long and there is absolutely no time to kill.

I KNOW!!! OKAY? JUST BE QUIET!!


Here are a few updates from the Mary files:

1. I just told my kids I'd buy them each a toy if they cleaned the car. It's 20 degrees. It's getting dark. But they are outside cleaning the car. (Am I a bad mom?)
1a. I take it back. They came in. Without cleaning the car. They played beat each other up in the snow, instead. Damn.


2. I am coaching six women now, five runners and one triathlete. I'm also coaching Andy. It is time-consuming to be a good coach. This is what I've learned so far, among other things.

3. Lara lost her glasses. I am up nights wondering where the hell they could be. I also told my kids I'd buy a toy for the child who finds the glasses. No one has yet to find them, so I know they weren't hidden on purpose by accident by a vengeful sibling.

4. I got myself some digital calipers to measure body fat. So far my body fat readings have ranged from 1.5 % to 50 %. I think there may be room for a little improvement in my measuring skills.

5. I've started really training for IM CDA. Today I did a workout that involved me cranking in zone 4 on the bike, and then running outside at (what was supposed to be) 10K pace (but definitely wasn't close to that). I love that my coach believes in nonlinear periodization. I love that she makes me work on all of aspects of my training for the sixth months leading up to a big race.
But I must admit that when I was on my last mile "at 10K pace" today I pined for the days when zone 1 was the requirement--and zone 4 was a big no-no.
That workout was freaking HARD.

5. I've been using Accelerade. In the past I have shunned it, because, frankly, it is very caloric, and I, like you I'm quite sure, am obsessed with the fact that some day I will need to be back down to race weight. I have always used and liked the PowerBar drinks because they are light and watery. Accelerade is more like eatng a meal.
But the thing is--I seem to perform better with Accelearde.
And I think the reason why has little to do with the protein in it, and a lot to do with its higher caloric content.  My body is a fan of calories.

6.  I'm reading a new book, The Runner's Edge: High Tech Training for Peak Performance by (of course) Matt Fitzgerald (and this PhD dude, McGregor). So far I have learned I don't take advantage of the many cool aspects of my Garmin. Review to come.

7. I am a pasty ghost right now and I think I need to dye my hair. I feel boring. I'm thinking red. I haven't been red in awhile.

8. The first part of the movie Up makes me bawl.

I'm going to snap out of this grouchy, blah blah mood soon. I just know it.
I'm catching up with the sun. I'm running. I am.

19 comments:

Kurt P. said...

Thank god for non-linear periodization! Oh wait. WTF is non-linear periodization ?

Michelle Simmons said...

I used Accelerade for a while too and liked it. After about a year it became too sweet for me (not that IT changed, clearly I was the one who changed) so I switched to Perpetuem for about a year... LOVED it at first and now it makes me nauseous. Go figure. Maybe I'll go back to Accelerade and give it another shot. I'm also a fan of the protein in these drinks and swear it helps me, although I don't think I need it until I'm doing workouts that last 3+ hours.

GetBackJoJo said...

KP,
Better start catching up on your reading. Slacker.

Kurt P. said...

um yea, ok...u better google some of the early 60's russian work on periodization.(Matveyev/Ozolin/Platonov)

you are working "less" specific (ie paces NOT specific to IM race day), towards "more" specific....that is called PERIODIZATION!!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

KP, keep up on the training and coaching, will ya? HAHA....lol.

Mary - You are awesome! LOVE it.

I have no commnets on Accelerade, don't personally use it - but a ton of people love it - if it works - THEN use it!

FUN on the coaching 6 athletes. WORD to the wise: Don't coach family. Been there....it is a bad combo. TRUST me on this one. (except my beginner mom).

John said...

If you do red, please make it a nice deep purply-red. Don't go for the Russian red which is really more of a burnt pink. Didn't look good on them, and won't on you either. :)

Swimming for ME said...

I need your dying advice cause I may do it for the first time EVER! Of course I'm going for the cheapy CVS wash out kind... but really advice pleaaasseee!

Ange said...

leave your hair alone girls... you are both beautiful Just the way you are!

Running and living said...

I am all for dying your hair. I've done it since my 20s, different colors, it's fun. Now I am back to my nature color, just prettier, with a hint of reddish brown.
I've never used Accelerate or any of this caloric drinks. I use gels and Nuun only. Is there an advantage to using these drinks (aside from the protein element, which, frankly, I don't worry about bc I eat a bit of protein before and after my long workouts)...Oh, and I am completely with you about calories. My best runs are after I eat a ton the night before...

donna furse said...

you are hysterical that is all I have to say. Great post.

Pining for Pinterest said...

Seriously, Up has to be one of the saddest Disney movies ever!

Amanda said...

i, too, am pastey. and hate it. i long for my deep summer tan (and tan lines).
have fun with the coaching!

mjcaron said...

A new hair style can do wonders for the mood. Red sounds cool.

Judi said...

i'm in a bad mood too. grrr. back the fuck up. you know what i mean???

anyways, mary, you can't do your own BF tests. that's just not realistic. find someone who knows what they're doing and get one done.

Regina said...

Pink Floyd, no?

non-linear periodization...? Greek, darling, Greek (I love Kurt's comment).

I just dyed my hair last night...same color, but a lot less gray, A LOT less.

I saw "Up!", was it the wife dying that got to you? It's been awhile. My poor kid got spooked by the short cartoon with the stork delivering the baby sharks and crocodiles, "I want to go home, now!" (we were in the theater).

Btw, you are funny, did you know that?

GoBigGreen said...

I used to use Accelerade at road races and tho it was gross to clean the bottles I NEVER BONKED...50-60 - 70 mile races I rarely even used gels ( those are new to me actually!) So use it if it works...

I think it is January in the NORTH, does me in too. and crap my hair, I just wear a hat:)

GetBackJoJo said...

Oh Regina!! Someone caught my Pink Floyd.
I feel better now. :)

maria conley said...

I like the idea of getting your color done. I say go with a deep red color. Is going to look good with your pale skin tone. I use accerelarde too and I love it!!! You are coaching the hubbs, that's great, I think!!!

Kim said...

i got the pink floyd too :)

i think a new 'do might make you feel like a new you :) go for it!

no accelerade for me - powerbar endurance all the way!