Thursday, March 18, 2010

First, I think I forgot to post here that I was quoted as Elizabeth Weil's run coach in the March issue of Vogue. How cool is that? I'm just letting you all know so you can run out and buy the March issue before the April issue takes over the stores. haha! It's a great little article. I'm super proud, and also flattered to be included. Liz, you may remember, wrote the Dara Torres biography. She also recently wrote a really incredible article on marriage for the New York Times Magazine.

She is a great writer. And thinker. And person.



On the training front:
I've gotten outside on the bike three times in the last week or so, and today will be the fourth.  I've done some longish rides (for me) -- one of 75 and one of 81 miles. They were both good, but slow. On Tuesday I had a little spill, though. After our big hurricane-like storm over the weekend, the roads were flooded all over the place--even on Tuesday, after the storm had passed. I had to go through a puddle that covered the span of the road. I hit a rock, or a pothole, or something, and I went down. I didn't get hurt. I wasn't going fast, and I was able to catch myself a bit with my right leg which I got unclipped. But I got WET. I was only 1.5 hours into an 80 mile ride, and I was so so so so bummed. My feet never dried and were totally numb within minutes of the fall.

Ah well.
It's still better than the trainer.
____________________________

Sometimes the kids steal my Iphone and take pictures. I just downloaded a bunch and some of them are -- interesting. Snapshots of nothing that capture daily life somehow.Or maybe they just capture something of MY life--which may or may not be of great interest to those of you out there!
Anyway.

We had gray weather for a very long time in the early part of March. This is the Oak in our front yard, complete with a squirrel nest.  Not sure who took these. Probably Lara, because she steals the Iphone the most of out of my kids.

 And here is shot of the front yard in March. God... so ugly and swamp green.













This is a self portrait of Lara. You can see how when she looks inward, as she is doing in order to take the picture, her eyes begin to cross.
 Here is another portrait of Lara, probably taken by Noah.(Jordan is a little better with the camera.)


These are shots that Noah took when I took the kids candlepin bowling last week. Lara is getting ready to bowl, and then Jordan and Lara watch as the ball slowly, slowly makes its way down the alley.













 Linus, the old man, sleeping.  At nearly 14 years old, this is basically what he does all day and night.
Not sure who took this one, either.












And this is Linus after being let out to wander the yard, probably in February at some point. You can see that whoever took the picture was taking it through the window--you can see the screen.
And this is me, going to get Linus who is wandering around the yard. Where is my coat?  There was a series of like 20 pictures on the phone of this. Riveting....













This was taken by Lara last week at the playground. We took John, Noah's neighbor and one of his best friends. John's in the cap. They are 3 days apart in age and look like brothers, even though Andy and I look nothing like his parents. I love this picture, because men don't hug like that--just boys. I think John is actually pretending to strangle Noah.

There are about 1000 more pictures taken by them. Many of them are just blurred snapshots of the floor, or of a foot, or of the mailbox.
I think the top two--of the Oak stenciled against the gray sky, really speaks to the mood of this month. Judi mentioned to me at the beginning of the week that I have been so serious lately.
I think it's the gray.

I ache for the daffodils and a few tufts of green.

13 comments:

Ange said...

the pics make me smile. Yes, a snapshot of life. I get it. :) Hope for sun there soon. WE've actually had a gorgeous spring so far. Even though spring starts Saturday. See...you must come back to Maine.
Glad yo udidn't get hurt. Bike crashes scare me. Wonder why.
Can'tn wait to see you and train with you and hang out with you in the warm sun of ARizoooonaaaaa!!!! Send me there NOw!!!!

liz said...

Thanks Mary! I'm pretty in awe of you myself. :)

And no need for anyone who's not looking for an excuse to buy Vogue to buy it A PDF of your greatness is up at www.elizabethweil.net. You have to scroll down to Fast & Furious, because I have no real idea how to build a website. But it's there.

Love the kid pix! Hannah (age 7) took a totally amazing series of her ratty old stuffy last year. It was pretty enlightening to see the world through her eyes. xo

Judi said...

yea, you HAVE been serious. where is the funny mary that used to post funny shit? this mary is all athlete and coach and no fun. hmmmm. maybe i should try to be more serious. or maybe not.

nice job getting out on the bike. keep it up. bikes are FUN!

Regina said...

Thank God I have the iTouch, no camera! Otherwise I am sure my son would be absconding away with it.

Congrats on the mention in Vogue. Pretty soon we'll be seeing you on the red carpet.

glad you are ok from your fall. We had the same weather here in NY;terrible. But this week is fantastic!

Michelle Simmons said...

I am cracking up. That's too funny about your kids stealing your phone to use the camera. Hopefully they don't learn how to use the FB app (if it's on there!)

Running and living said...

Loved seeing your name in there! So exciting! Loved the marriage article, too! I agree, great writing and lots of good things to say! Love how the kids take over your i-phone. I don't have one, but if I did, I am sure Petru would be all over it. He is 4 and better with computers than my husband. Kinda scary, if you ask me, but the world surely is changing!
Oh, and I am completely terrified of bike falls. I think I need to make myself fall a couple of times to get over that! It's always on my mind when I ride!

Unknown said...

I love the pictures that the kids take! :) Make me smile!

Glad you are alright after your little fall off the bike. Being wet on a bike is always the worst.

Hope that the gray has started to go away! :)

mjcaron said...

Very cool that you are now quoted in Vogue. Goodness what's next? I do think the pics capture some daily life.

kerrie said...

oh yes, we have some iPhone stealers around here too. i never know what i'll find. sadly they know how to update fb statuses and text and leave voice memos.
just wait!!!(and that's just the 3 year old)

Jennifer Harrison said...

I love all your windows in your house - beautiful and your big front porch! In the summer, I can just imagine sitting there and reading a book...lovely!!

And, it is fun to see that article by your friend, Liz...I did read DTs book and I enjoyed it..fun!

Spring is almost here (we are getting snow tomorrow, lol)!

Swimming for ME said...

No more frittering...
TEAR IT UP TOMORROW!!!!!!
GO GO GO!!
Show them what a real triathlete can do!

donna furse said...

I love the pics, I can't wait to show you the ones my kids have been taking in Utah. Hope all is well. Keep up the great work on the bike, I haven't even gotten out yet, I hope next week is good weather. See you soon.

MaineSport said...

Those are some good miles you're putting in! And I love he pictures- life through kids' eyes.