Sunday, March 14, 2010

Frittering

Fritter: (fri-tr) (v) to waste time. to accomplish little of consequence. to fuck around.

That, unfortunately, is what I've been doing of late.

On Friday afternoon I convinced Andy to get home from work early so I could run away to Maine for the night. I wanted to visit with my friend Alina. Also, there was a party being given by a few of my tri friends in Maine, and I wanted to go.
Miss my BF + party = reason enough to hike it north.

I'm listening to the book American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld in the car, and this was yet another reason I wanted to go. I'm a huge (and I mean huge) book on tape person. I'm a reader, but even more than reading I love to be read to. Anyway.  American Wife is a fictionalized account of the life of Laura Bush. I've no idea if there is a particle of truth in any of it, but it certainly is engrossing. I couldn't wait to get in the car, get comfy, crank the heat and listen....ahhhhh.....

I went straight to Alina's to pick her up, and then straight to the party, which was in Freeport, a good 40 minutes from where my parents live. We were late. Getting out of Boston is tricky business on any night of the week, and my journey was definitely not traffic free. Annoying. Luckily, I had my book, which was a big part of why I wanted to travel in the first place, so I wasn't too upset.

I should've taken pictures at the party.
But I didn't.

It was fun to see everyone drinking beer in normal attire as opposed to drinking from water bottles post-race, dressed in little kits that reveal way too much. Alina and I chatted furiously for an hour or so before the party split up. Then we headed upstairs with our friends Mike and Christine and ate. Well, actually-- I ate. They just talked to me while I ate, and Alina, sportingly, had a few ribs.

It was fun.

I drove Alina home and we gossiped, and I was very glad I had come up.

One of my favorite parts of going to Maine is visiting with my folks and experiencing the total quiet of a home SANS little people. My parents have pets, but this hardly counts in the noise department. I stayed up even later talking with my mom, and then even later reading because I was alone and didn't have to turn out the light so Andy could sleep. (I am a night hawk reader left to my own devices.)
t.o.t.a.l. bliss.

The next morning I got up and lazily chit-chatted with my mom, then frantically signed up for the Beach to Beacon 10K, a race that happens in AUGUST in my hometown, but one which sells out in under a 1/2 hour. Then I went for a nice run in the salty, cold, wind of Cape Elizabeth.
And then I drove home--listening to my book.

What a great 18 or so hours.

On the way home the monsoon began. Here in New England we are experiencing an apocalyptic rain that threatens to submerge the entire northeast completely.  It has alrady sumberged my basement. It's more than a lake down there--it's like one of the Great Lakes. I can't even look. The TWO pumps we have were sort of controlling it, but then (I kid you not) the pressure of the rising water table put a deep crack into the foundation of the house--just by the bulkhead-- and a torrent of water began to pour into the basement. Andy did his best to patch it up with concrete (which um didn't really work since you can't cure concrete in the WET).  And then one of our pumps burned out. Losing battle, my friends, losing battle.

Ho hum.
Other than water, there is not much else making headway here in the casa de Wilson.
Here are a smattering of tidbits: 

I got new bike shoes. Men's bike shoes to be exact. They are wide wide wide and hopefully will allow my poor little bunions and Morton's toe some room to spread out and be their ugly selves.

I had Andy change my cassette from its 12/23 to the 12/27 so when I go to Tucson next week and try to climb Lemmon I won't tip over on Mrs Z.

Tomorrow Jen has me doing 4300 yards in the pool. Oh mama.

I am reading a book on POWER so I can be the all powerful queen of the world.
The book is by a man named Skiba, who is a D.O. and not an M.D., which reminds me I need to find out the difference between those post-nominals. The book was recommended to me by Kurt. It's a good one. This dude Skiba also wrote Scientific Training for Triathletes, which I also just read, and which is also a good one.  So far I've learned that the terms lactate threshold and critical power are used incorrectly by most of we simple triathletes. Good to know.

Jordan is convinced she needs a racing bike. She is also looking to join a USS swim team that trains more than a half hour away. She wants to swim and compete year round.
I know I deserve it.
Don't say it.

I have been on a bread binge. In fact, the term frittering at first made me think of fritters. I love fritters. Anyway. I was doing very well for a very long time, and then I had a motivational slip and began partaking of all things bread. I love bread. I dream of bread. Toast with butter is possibly the greatest food combination of all time.  Give me toast, butter and coffee with milk and sugar and I will basically orgasm.

And on that note.
ta-ta

15 comments:

solobreak said...

You watched Andy so that you can swap your own cassette next time right? I use a 12/27 for training all the time, even around here. It makes it much easier to stay on the big ring when you're going hard, and to just sit and spin in the small ring when you're going easy. And you can read all about the Tucson loops on Myerson's blog if you don't read it already.

http://www.cycle-smart.com/blog/

Have fun!

Running and living said...

My basement looks just like yours! Chris gets so worried about it, makes me laugh! It will dry eventually... Good luck with the swim...looks tough, but WAY more appealing than the 10 mile run with 3 mile speed intervals that I will probably not do today!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Sounds like a good time! I hope you have a wonderful week!

Amanda said...

what shoes did you go with? i got the ugly bunions too. and my feets...they were crying in pain yesterday toward the end of a 5 hour trainer ride.

GetBackJoJo said...

I went with Specialized Elite Road for guys. I also looked at the high end Sidis (male shoe). They were great too, but very pricey, and the Specialized were equally as comfortable and have a wedge built in that works well with my Morton's toe. I didn't even look at Tri shoes... they are fast to get in and out of, but my feet are just too messed up to use them.

Jennifer Harrison said...

I agree, there is not much better than hot fresh bread w/ butter on it or Peanut butter! one of my favs! :)

I have a 12/25 on my bike all the time too. Living in chicago, we do not need a 27...but a 23 is small and you have hills out there...

SORRY to hear about your basement - ugh. You guys are getting nailed this winter/spring for sure.

I LOVE TO FRITTER. I get into trouble.

Judi said...

oh man, you are going to tus w/ jen and ange to climb mt. lemmon? you lucky dawg girl! have fun!! i am so green. this was a fun post.

Ange said...

Just the other night I had some toast w/ butter. I was commmenting to Mark how much I loved toast and how it had been so long! Yum!!
sorry I had to miss Fri night. But next week will be FUN!!!
SO sorry @ basement. Ick.

Il Bruce said...

Kinda interested in your shoe choice.

With having foot issues it is interesting that you went on the low end of the price spectrum. Never skimp on shoes.

Good bike shoes will last many seasons. Over the life of the shoe a sturdy prices out very cheap per annum. What do you pay a year for running shoes?

I wanted to try on some Specialized shoes but my shop does not stock the better ones.

Sidi has a mega option in many models designed for wider feet.

BE GOOD TO YOUR FEET!

GetBackJoJo said...

@ Bruce--
I totally agree you need to be good to your feet--esp. if you have fucked up feet!
I'm not sure price is always the best indication of a perfect fit, though. The Specialized, though less expensive, fit my feet very well. They have a plastic sole--less giving--and maybe this is why they are less "high quality" -- but one thing I have learned over the years is that even if something is of less "quality", that doesn't mean it won't last and do right by you-- I'm thinking of my Corolla, for example, or my cheap Sauconys. The more expensive Sauconys messed up my feet every time. Anyway--we shall see! Some of the Sidis are awesome. I have ridden in Sidis for the last 3 years, of course, and they are the shoes that have messed me up...

Il Bruce said...

Gotcha. I am just concerned with the durability of the Specialized shoes. The MTB shoes have a reputation for falling apart. Not so with the road shoes. Sizing can also vary between models.

Cheap shoes, not that $115.00 is cheap, I suspect will not last.

A plastic sole will be more giving (flexy) than a carbon sole. This may be better for your needs. .

Northwave, and Mavic are the new hot setups. Neither fit me well so I stick with Sidi.

Kurt P. said...

wow, a mention in a MHW Blog. I can die a happy man, now.

GetBackJoJo said...

Oh whatever, KP. You know you're already famous...

Unknown said...

Cassette? You gotta get in the 21st century and get some mp3s. ;)

mjcaron said...

I know this response is kinda late but I don't care if you don't.

Jeff is funny isn't he?

Ok 25 or 27. A) I don't know what I have and now feel compelled to find out. I'm the one who's going to look stupid. B) I can't see how the teeth in your cassette can cause one to fall over unless you can't hang on going up a hill? That's why you need a smaller ring??