Wednesday, March 10, 2010

How To Get Fast--at least if you are Mary.

I should qualify this whole post by admitting that what follows are things I believe have made me faster. One thing I've learned in the last six months since I started working with athletes is that each individual is remarkably different, and what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. I think I always believed every athlete was different, but I underestimated just how much. Each athlete has such a different set of qualities in terms of experience, physiology, psychology--the mix can be tough to figure out and it makes posts like How To Get Fast seems sort of arbitrary and pointless.

Still, I feel like writing this post.

There are some things we always look to and believe will make us fast. The track would be a great example. When we think of getting fast, we think of the track. Speed work. right? Well, yes, the track is definitely a speed lover's tool. In this post, though, I want to focus less on actual workouts and more on aspects of learning to be fast that are separate from specific ways of training--like training the aerobic system to the nth degree for 10 of the 12 months of the year, or doing ten trillion 800s on the track year round (both of which seem to work if done correctly, strangely enough).

I also want to say that there are different types of fast. I'm talking about getting faster when racing. It may seem stupid to point that out, but one can get faster when training and still not be faster when racing. Also, getting faster at IM is much different than getting faster at the 5K. Still, they have some things in common, and I'm going to talk about a few things that have made me faster at all distances.

1. Race Experience
I think this may be the number one thing that has made me faster over the years. The reasons are many--but really it comes down to this: the more you race, the better you get at racing. It's such a simple truth. People can talk to you up the wazoo about pacing, pain, nutrition while you race, but the truth is that you won't really figure that shit out unless you actually race--and not just a few times a year. This is easy with things like road racing. You can squeeze a ton of little road races throughout the year if you want. Each distance has its own little rules that you must figure out for you. It's harder with triathlon. Unless you do strictly sprints,  you can't race every single weekend all summer. And if you want to succeed at IM, you can't just do 10 of them in a row to get it right. (Although I actually know some people who are somehow able to do this!)  It took me two half iron-man races to sort of understand how to race one--and it wasn't until my fourth that I really nailed the race. With Ironman I totally DO NOT have it figured out yet. I've only done one, and my inexperience definitely got me on my first.

When athletes spend all of their time training and very little time actually racing I think they are at a speed disadvantage come race day. Experience  = greater speed. At least this has been true for me.

2. Psychology.
I know sport psych is talked about a lot in our sport. You need to replace negative thoughts with positive and affirming thoughts--when racing, when training, when just hanging around. I think this is especially tough for women. We are socialized to self-deprecate. Self deprecation puts those around us at ease; it lets others know we are tactful, graceful and modest.
Unfortunately, however, if you deprecate in life, you will deprecate in your head. And if you deprecate in your head, you will bring yourself down.And if you bring yourself down, if you believe your own deprecation, you won't get faster.
It's not easy to be confident for many of us. A starting point, at least for me, has been to be arrogant on a humorous level. Playing the part has actually really helped me to believe that I am strong, attractive, and able to win (or at least place well :) Is it awkward and strange to announce --hey, I'm hot! Is it childish to shout I kicked her ass! Probably.
But really--who gives a shit--especially if in the end it makes you stronger and faster to believe it? If it makes you feel good to believe it?
We all want to be liked and to be seen as the epitome of grace and modesty (at least if we are female). In the end, though, I know I'd rather be strong than liked. I'd rather be fast than liked. I'd rather be full of vim, humor and abrasive crass-ness than liked. 
And you know what? I think I'm better liked as a result! Not by all... certainly not. But I'm a more interesting and colorful person when I am playing at being the brash, know-it-all, confident coach than when being the humble, simpering, sweet little girl of my youth. (I know that many of you who have known me forever will argue that I was never actually simpering or sweet. Leave me to my own historical fictions...;)

3.  Okay. I admit I sort of went off there. Anyway, the next thing that has made me faster is learning to deal with pain. This is sort of combination of one and two, actually. Racing has exposed me to pain and taught me to deal with it. Psychology has allowed me to welcome--sometimes even invite pain--into my workouts.  If you can't deal with pain--if you can't welcome it--then you just don't get faster. You have to believe it's okay to feel a lot of pain, and then you can start to push beyond it. One of the reasons I like to do a little hard work year round (harder aerobic efforts like tempo or fartlek stuff on the run or strength work on the bike) is because I am closer to pain than if I maintain just zone 1/2 work for much of the winter months. I find that if I go three or four workouts in a row without experiencing real pain, then it shocks me when I do experience it. That shock slows me down because it frightens me.  If I don't feel pain for months, I get positively stopped by it when I do experience it.

4. Taking Risks. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In the end, I believe taking risks in my training and in my racing has made me faster. Sometimes you just have to test limits to see if the limit is really there or not. If it is? Okay. If it's not? Damn good thing I checked, huh?

5. Fueling. I need to eat. I need to eat frequently and quite a bit--especially for a little person. I also need to fuel well when I'm training. This is just something I've learned about myself over the years. When I'm training I sometimes try to stretch out what I need so that my body can better learn to use its available fuel  in the form of fat). (I do this frequently when doing strictly aerobic training.) Most of the time, though, I try to give my body the fuel it needs to perform well. I believe the cumulative effect of this has gotten me faster.

6. Form.
For me this is true especially when swimming, but also when running. If I am focused on my form, I just go faster. If I focus on going faster, I go more slowly.

7.  Weight. I think I have a magic range at which I am my fastest. I used to believe the lighter the better. I dont' think so now. It took me years to find the right place. It's also taken me years to alter my body compostion for the better. Both of these things have helped me to go faster.

I'm interested in what you think has made you go faster.
Tell me.

23 comments:

Ange said...

Hard work. Consistently. For many years.

donna furse said...

I don't know, I'll let you know if I get there.

Michelle Simmons said...

I like your list! For me, I think many of the same hits have worked- embracing and welcoming pain has been a big one. I would add that surrounding mysel with faster athletes has made me faster... I swim bike and run with people who are faster than me- keeps my ego in check I think- but then I'm pleasantly surprised at a race when the only people who beat me are my training partners. :)

Kurt P. said...

Drugs.

Anonymous said...

incredibly spot on...atleast in my opinion. Awesome post...and so incredibl insightful, too!!

Running and living said...

I love this post! I think nr 2 is key, but I may be biased:) Our brains are not v smart and they do believe what we are saying, even when we are saying things jokingly or to fit in, or whatever. For me, having my mind in the game is what makes me race well; Having a plan, sticking with it, and being stubborn. Probably being stubborn and competitive (and proud of that!) has helped me get faster. I really want to beat other people in races!
I still think that I need to work on taking risks, and being less conservative. I am also one who should race better based on my training level (for ex., for every marathon so far I ran a 20 miler at what ended up being my MP; I KNOW I could have ran both races faster).
I don't know what to say about the race weight. In determining your weight race, how do you account for other factors that might have made you better able to race outside your weight?

Philippe said...

Agree on the weight thing. Going down a hill if you're to light can seriously slow you down... Plus the fact that if you have to pedal to stay with the pack, you don't get the "rest" while others do...

Velma said...

I think you hit the nail on the head. You have to want to win - I know people who say they want to win, but they really don't (at least I see this with students). I think that you have to not care about what other people are doing and find out what works for you.

I have some many questions about #1. Does that mean I should stay racing olympic races for a while before going to longer distances or is the experience race-type specific?

GetBackJoJo said...

@ Ange. Yep. That's probably the number one thing, huh?
@ KP--so THAT'S your secret????
@AM--Good point. I def. did not do any structured study, so I have no idea if being at a certain weight is a contributing factor to racing well! I have just found that if I look at all my very best races, I always seem to be at a particular place in my weight.
@V Oh no! I say race any and all distances! Racing well at a sprint isn't like racing well at IM, but they share certain things. I totally don't think you have to master one distance before moving to another. Doing IM, for example, gave me a lot of insight into all of my other racing around my inability to be patient and the danger of being overly competitive.

sallyaston said...

I think you nailed all the aspects of getting faster. Its usually not just one thing. For me, being able to train consistently (without injury) has been the key to getting faster. That means sometimes giving up a track session or fast group ride to let my body recover. I know that it helps me in the long run :-)

Pining for Pinterest said...

Love the advice :-) I am still waiting to get faster!!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Great read, Mary and I like to see how you are evolving as an athlete.

For me, it is (in no particular order)...

1.) Consistency. I have a plan. I follow the plan. I do not veer majorly for the plan. NO JUNK added. I have had the same coach (other than Spencer for 2 years) since 1999.

2.) I am biomechanically sound. My swim, bike and run forms have been dialed in over the years and it is the main injury prevention for me. I have never (knock on wood) been injured in all these years that prevented me from racing.

3.) Pain threshold. I may not be the fastest athlete, but I can suffer with the fastest. That took a long time to learn. A LONG TIME. And being able to do it on "KEY" days week in and week out is key.

4.) Keep things in perspective. I used to think that 8 hours was a big week...then, 15, then 20, etc..You know what I mean. I KNOW what works for me and how many hours of quality training per week I can improve on and how many hours "is the point of no return." And, this changes with age. Racing and training @ 39yo is MUCH different than when I was 25yo. Adjusting to life and training is critical (ie, new moms, divorce, etc).

5.) My weight never fluctates more than 5-6 lbs all year. I do NOT gain huge amounts of weight NOR lose huge amounts of weight. IN the winter I am about 5lbs off race weight. FINE...can't be race weight all year long. Then, by my first "A" race (this year Eagleman in June) I will be race weight.

6.) NO junk. I train with faster athletes when I want to go faster and I train by myself when I have specific things on my training plan. I never do someone else's workout unless I am in the off season. Never.

7.) I know my body. I do not wear Garmins...I use a HR monitor if I feel like my body is off. I have learned what it feels like to run a 7 min mile, 7.15 min mile, 6.45 min mile...and that ties into pacing...and most athletes rely too much on their "toys" that w/o them they can not race. I have NEVER raced with a HR monitor (ok, once @ IM Kona bike)...but otherwise, I know what hard is and I know what semi-hard is, etc. BUt, I had to use the toys in the early years to learn that. I do use a Computrainer and that is the best tool bar none for me (living in Chicago).

Last one: PATIENCE. This is a process. People want a magic bullet, they want a pill...there is none. Trust me...I would be selling it. Progress is the motivator.

maria conley said...

In my experience only, I have found the more I race the faster I get. Running hard in training has made me faster too. Now that i'm working w/ my coach, she has me strong mentally. She has taught me to embrace the pain. To welcome the pain, to love the pain. The brain is the Captain of the Boat!!!

Kim said...

i sadly cannot help on this topic. cause i'm not fast. but at least i look good pretending.

Kurt P. said...

@Mary better living through drugs AND Beer.

...faster, still waiting for that.

Penelope said...

Loved this post! I'm training for my first IM in September (Wisconsin) and I'm working a lot on the psych aspect...it's my main weakness, but I know 6 months of work will help! :)

-Pen (www.penatpeace.com)

Swimming for ME said...

-Speedsuit
-A coach
-Friends who love my sport just as much as me (or at least who are willing to get up at 5am for it).
-Adversity

solobreak said...

Patience and confidence. I know I'm a broken record with these two. Patience is not a lack of drive, it's the opposite. You have to be dedicated enough to stay with the sport for years, not looking for quick gratification. I always use the college analogy. You did not get your degree in a year or two, and nobody is going to reach their athletic potential that quickly either. And of course, that's just the beginning. Your career development continues later. Confidence means being confident in your training. Confidence that it will work provides incentive to do the work. Confidence that resting is going to help you, when rest is what you need. That requires patience. There are no shortcuts. Patience on when to make your move in a race requires confidence that you'll be able to pull it off when the time comes.

Running and living said...

This is unrelated, but I really think someone should sponsor your blog. Seriously. It is the only blog I keep reading and reading, and going back and reading comments. You have a way with words and you get people. Seriously, I think you should look into that!

Katie said...

I have also found that I have a "good" racing weight range. Much lighter and I'm sick and injured all the time, heavier and I'm just slower.

I agree that racing is vital to becoming faster. I can't race every week, it's a huge injury risk for me. Once, maybe twice a month is ideal for me. Taking too much time off from racing is terrifying when I finally do step up to the line. I get so worked up I have trouble sleeping the night before and race day I feel like I'm going to puke.

The mental aspect is so important too. Before a race I tell myself "I love this shit!" And the truth is I really do.

Regina said...

you have no idea how timely your post is for me. I am struggling with getting faster and doing all the "right" training, but not getting faster, but slower or at the very least, the same. I had a long talk with my coach about this. I am trusting the process and hoping that it will pay off eventually, but I can't help being a little frustrated.

I think the psychology is something I need to work on. I am fast for short distances, but I can't keep my pace fast for longer ones. I'm like a sprinter trying to be a fast distance runner. so far, not happening.

Dealing with the pain is also a work in progress and some days are better than others.

John said...

Training. Lots of hard work and training.

mjcaron said...

Great list. I agree with Jen on consistancy. It has enabled me to bring my racing to the next level each year that I have under my belt. I am not sure what you meant about .

"When I'm training I sometimes try to stretch out what I need so that my body can better learn to use its available fuel in the form of fat)."

Does that mean you eat less?