Sunday, March 7, 2010

Stu's: The Race Report

 
Mary reaches for Annie Sullivan's hand and then signs the word for "water?"

Ahh, Stu's 30K. 
It's a nice little race. With a few long-ass hills. And a few long-ass downhills. And also, it is just long. 

The perennial question here in the New England running scene is this: Which is more of a bitch? The Derry 16 Miler or Stu's 30K?
Most people vote for Derry. It's got an elevation profile that is definitely--hard. It climbs (according to the Garmin, which for elevation is totally inaccurate, but whatever) 2400 ft, whereas Stu's only climbs a measly 1340 ft. (again, according to the inaccurate Garmin). However, Derry is shorter course, and that does count for something. Stu's also ends with its steepest hills, whereas Derry has its steepest hills about 2/3's the way through, and then you are blessed with a few downhill miles at the end. I've always felt that Stu's was slightly harder, but that's likely because I seem to always run more slowly at Stu's. 

And today was no exception. I ran more slowly (by a lot) today than I did at Derry. I think I looked cuter today than I did at Derry, though, and that is something. When the race began my friend David looked over and said, "Mary, you're looking hot today." I blushed. (not really.) He then told me he just said it so I'd mention it in the blog. Thanks, David!
I did look cute, though. I had on these adorable little shorts from LuLuLemon. You can't tell in this picture but I also have on really cool socks with cows on them.  I was styling. 

But enough on that. 

I ran most of the race with my club-mates Maria and Rose. I am training them each for Boston (very proudly coaching them, I will add) and their plan was to take out the first 10 miles steady but not hard, and then to go for marathon pace until the end of the race. My plan was to accompany them to mile 10, and then stay steady while they plowed ahead. 

It was really nice to run with people. 
But it was really, really hard to hold back. 

I had to keep checking my watch to make sure I wasn't picking up the pace. The crowd surged ahead of us and we just had to let them go. I will add here that many, many of these people should NOT have been surging ahead of us. We weren't being slow-pokes! We were running 7:55-8:05 pace! We gradually picked up the pace so that we were averaging just under 8:00s by mile 10.  We steadily passed people. I'm not sure anyone at any point passed us. It felt way too easy--but sure enough--at mile 10 my legs started to feel that very special achy feeling. By mile 12 my legs were like, Um, Mary? Usually we stop around now? We are at mile 12? Ummm, what is up here? I began to realize it was a damn good thing I had taken it out slowly! 18.6 miles is a wee bit longer than I've run since... ummm. my marathon last October.

Maria and Rose went ahead as planned. I was sad to let them go, but I was determined to no be stupid and try to go with them. I let myself go a little faster, but the achiness in my legs and ass kept me from letting me get too far ahead of myself. It was a gorgeous day, and I really focused on how NICE it was to have sun on my face. Then I got sick of that and decided it was time to pass people.

I waited until mile 15 to do this, and I'm proud of that. At that point, though, everyone was slowing down around me, and I could see whole clumps of women ahead of me just waiting to be passed. Oh! I had fun those last few miles. I made it hurt--but I did not kill myelf. I just made sure I passed a good chunk of people who had no business being ahead of me. 

Maria kicked my ass and finished ahead of me. Rose didn't feel great and slowed up a bit (though not much), and had a solid race. I was proud of them both for sticking it out and sticking with the plan, and giving it what they had. I'm proud of me for not being the dumbass jackrabbit I usually am when racing.

It was a good race and a good day. 

When I finished my calf cramped and then the cramp shot trough my hamstring and into my ass. OUCH! I limped around for quite a bit, but was able to massage it out a little in the car. I feel good right now--ready to begin again. That's a good thing, b/c I have a three hour ride scheduled for manana. 

Buenas Noches.  (That's me. The short one in the awesome shorts.)






24 comments:

John said...

Oh, Mary, you always look cute and styling. :)

Michelle Simmons said...

Yes yes! Cute shorts! Have a great ride tomorrow! :)

Velma said...

Cow socks - fantastic. You look great and shorts in March are always a bonus. Have fun on your long ride.

Marit C-L said...

GREAT job out there! Yes - its tough to hold back... I completely understand. But you tried something different - and look at how great you did! :) Much more success will come your way, I know! Ooohhh - cramps like that hurt - hamstring-to-ass is the WORST. Recover well and enjoy your ride tomorrow!

ps - cute shorts!

Kristina said...

You did look wicked cute. Love those shorts. Thank God for Spring so we can all get out of tights.

Swimming for ME said...

Nice job Mary. You played this one right smartie.

As Kenny Rogers says "You gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run...." Words to live by I guess.

Running and living said...

Oh, so jealous you got to race! Nice job holding back, but even nicer job picking up people in the last few miles. Next year I'll def be there!

sallyaston said...

Nice job! You rcked the race and the shorts! :-)

mjcaron said...

Of COURSE it's important to look good. And you did! Way to hold back. I know it's not easy to do that.

Regina said...

Cute, yes! I can never wear shorts like that. I wish I could see the cows! Well done. Congrats.

GoBigGreen said...

Dude, you are in shorts. What a great day to run with fun people:) Shorts? Yes! That is awesome! ( and awesome shorts they are!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who appears to run with their eyes closed :) Hope the 3 hour ride goes well, even if you don't love ms. Z you are motivation for me to ride more!

maria conley said...

The camera likes you from all angles. You did look "Hot in those short shorts" Fantactic job!!!
P.S. Thank you for pacing us.

Ange said...

I'm laughing at the picture..Helen.
You're so bad.
Great job playing it smart. You did really well...how cool that you cold wear shorts in early March!!!

GetBackJoJo said...

Oh Ange, I'm so pleased you got my non-pc Helen Keller allusion! :)You must admit I look like I am blind in that picture....and there really wasn't enough water on the course...

Ange said...

not pc at all! :)
You really don't look too happy. But those mid-stride shots mid-long run are rarely our best moments. And I like the shorts too but are they all red in the front or did you spill a gel?

Ange said...

not pc at all! :)
You really don't look too happy. But those mid-stride shots mid-long run are rarely our best moments. And I like the shorts too but are they all red in the front or did you spill a gel?

Kate Parker said...

Thanks for anticipating that as soon as I saw that picture I would want those shorts and then telling me where I could find some.

I know you write your blog with my needs in mind. :)

(Congrats on the great race.)

GetBackJoJo said...

Ange, NO! That is not a gel!! geez.. They have this cool splashed paint thing going on around the band. It's a soft elastic band... so comfortable and EXPANDABLE! Which is always important, of course.

Ange said...

:o) I was just kidding. It's hard to tell in the picture but I was guessing it was some color splash thing. I do like them.

Pining for Pinterest said...

Way to go girl!!!

GetBackJoJo said...

Wellesley! You are back! Actually, your comment was helpful in a lot of ways. I do want to make sure that you understand, however, that my plays at arrogance and bravado are in jest. That is my humor! I actually don't have a ton in the way of confidence. Isn't that patently obvious?
I agree about the experience and grace piece.... But I'm not sure you know me well enough to make those judgements, do you? By reading a few of my posts you think you can decide that kind of truth?
Anyway--thanks for the bit on elevation, esp. Does the Garmin simply add all of the down and up to get its estimate? The rise is probably closer to 500ft total; I can see that...
Maybe someday you will reveal yourself?

Kim said...

hehehe look at you hottie!!! way to hold back even when you wanted to go go go. i dig the shorts, they kind of remind me of the ones i heart and wear for every run.

MaineSport said...

Good work, Mary. I'm sure your approach to the race will pay far more dividends in June...when it counts...than if you killed it.