Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day II of Tucson Camp

Before I get into the lowdown on DAY TWO let me just say that today I spent $300 at the grocery store. I usually spend $200, but $300 is extreme--maybe even a record--and I'm still in shock. Part of it is that the Easter Bunny is coming to visit on Sunday, and so I stocked up on those stupid plastic eggs that split in half so you can fill them with candy, and the candy to fill them, and then treats for the kids like coloring books and magic markers and tape. (They love tape.)

Also I felt the need to get a personal organizer book.  This was likely a huge waste of money, since despite all of my best efforts I have never, ever successfully kept one.  If it's not in the old noggin, it ain't going to happen, whether it's written in a book or not. Nevertheless, to give up hope on myself and my ability to record what needs to be done instead of storing it solely in my head would be sad, so I will try yet again.

I also got the kids flashlights, because they we were with me and wanted a treat--and I am a sucker for such pleading. They each wanted their VERY OWN flashlight. Well, okay. I can see why that would be cool.

Anyway. I realize there is no point whatsoever in writing about my lack of frugality, or lack of organizational ability, or inability to write down important things like when I next need to see my shrink, or take the kids to the dentist, or get a sitter so I can take Jordan to the end of season Swim Banquet.
Sorry.
Needed to be confessional for a bit.

Onto Tucson!

On day two we got up and went for a swim. The pool was outside, and it was cold outside in the morning. Really cold. Like 45 degrees. That is simply too cold to be wearing a bathing suit and I was briefly very unahappy.The pool, however, was blessedly warm.

Jen put me with the fast kids.
I am no fool and I know that I am truly not a fast kid. I know this because I have spent my life with best friends who are the real deal fast kids. I am a good swimmer. But I am not a fast kid swimmer. ANYWAY. I was still flattered and glad to be with Ange, Jen and Cheryl (aka--the fast kids)  because they are good to watch in terms of technique, and because, of course, I just like them.

At one point Jen stopped me and told me she was going to look at my stroke, because I was doing something funny. Of course I was... when is one's stroke ever perfecto? However, I have been working hard on being perfecto, so it was a little sad that she immediately identified that I needed help ASAP. Turns out I enter from my recovery too wide. Who does that? I am like the only swimmer alive, I think, who enters too wide. Because I enter wide my catch moves first horizontally, and then vertically, which is not good, of course. The horizontal little piece is a waste of catch energy. Okay, so I need to correct that and also a little scissor in my kick when I breathe. As you know, fixing these things is easier said than done, but I am very, very, very x 2 billion thrilled to be able to work on something that has the potential for making me faster. I thought I might be tapped out in terms of how fast I can go. Thank you for your feedback, Jen!

I am happy to say that I was only lapped by Cheryl and Ange ONCE. This is, of course, because the bulk of the workout consisted of 150s and shorter, so they didn't have time to lap me. Once we got to a 500, though, I was toast, and I got lapped at the 300.

Here are some silly pictures that Kate took. I look truly amphibian. Ange, Cheryl and Jen look cute, though!
Ange and me












Kate and Jen.

After the swim we went to get coffee. I also ordered a full meal of eggs, toast, a banana and coffee, because, well, I am an eater, and also we had a two hour run on the schedule. 

We then went to Sabino Canyon National Park to run.
We were told to do the Phone Line trail by Jen.  It started out all rocks and scrub and UP. I quickly moved into zone 100--breathing audibly enough for ALL to hear. I tried to stay up with Jerome, Kari and Mel, but that only last about 15 minutes before I knew I was toast and would soon suffer a massive heart attack if I didn't slow down. I slowed, and Ange and Julia kindly slowed with me. Then we hit the open air--the tree line. The path stopped going up, and now was just circling the mountain. It was gorgeous, and also SCARY.

Ange and I slowed up a ton and Julia decided it was too scary, and turned around (only to return later!) Ange and I walked some when the trail got too thin and the edge too close. Andy and I have done a fair amount of hiking, and even done some good trail running. But it's been awhile, and my inner chicken definitely came squawking out on this run! Jen, Jon and Tracey caught up to us and Ange and I had to stop our chit chat and walk/running and get moving. We trotted along. The air was cool and fresh. We turned around at an hour, meeting Mel on her return. The descent was quick and easy compared to the climb.

At the foot of the mountain there was a very cold stream that had flooded over the sidewalk. We took off our shoes and gave ourselves a little leg ice bath.

It was an amazing run. Thanks for taking us there, Jen.

Back at the condo we laid at the condo pool and chatted. It was warm and I felt lazy enough to skip the optional bike ride in favor of lounging and chatting. A little while later we went out to a large Tucson pub/restaurant and I had a very, very large turkey burger and a beer. By the end of the night I was already sad that Saturday would be my last day at camp, and I'd have to say goodbye to the new friends I had made.

8 comments:

Running and living said...

I hiked the same trail some years ago! Can't imagine running it, wow, I am impressed! Hrr, I think I have to do Easter this year. Petru is 4 and he heard about eggs and candy from school!

Ange said...

Oh....I want to do it again. I think I could be much much braver this time. And yes, I think I said zone 8 when we started but it was more like zone 100. I was panting like a dog until we settled in!! Thanks for running that with me...I want to go back right now.

mjcaron said...

Glad you got some pics of the canyon so I could show kathy. I don't have any! It was the most scenic part of the trip. I thought.

I'm wondering where I got all that spunk. I must be crazy to run that trail.

runningyankee said...

kinda wishing you would make me an easter basket.... all that candy sounds devine :) all this reading about tucson is making me want to catch the first flight out there. its only been a few days and i totally miss it.

John said...

Beautiful spot. What a great trail to run.

NY Wolve said...

I have a 9 yr old and a 2 yr old. My jaded 9 year old said the local Easter Egg hunt is "like so boring" "they don't even hide the eggs and the kids just pick them up." Of course my 2 yr old doesn't get it all yet, but we want to take her. And I told the 9 yr old, be careful , we have videos of you getting very excited for that same easter egg hunt.

I can;t imagine that kind of trail running. I have seen similar trails in Colorado and can't imagine going up them.

Il Bruce said...

Flashlights are awesome. I have been fascinated by flashlights my whole life. You can never have too many flashlights. Or radios. Buy them each a good radio.

Judi said...

i want to go one year. but i'd have to hang with the slow kids. so glad you got to go. the swim pix are adorable. ange is good at taking pics underwater.