Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Boston Marathon

One great thing about living in Boston is having access each year to watching (or running) the Boston Marathon.

I took the kidlets to mile 15.5 yesterday to watch the race. I had nineteen friends/athletes/fellow bloggers/running-club mates to cheer on. At mile 15.5 there is a massive playground, so it is the perfect place to spectate if you are a parent with kids who only like watching a race for five minutes before they are thoroughly bored and ready to move on. Mile 15.5 also comes on a downhill, about a mile and a half before the hills start. Runners usually look fresh at this point--few are walking and most (most) look happy. It's a great place to cheer. Some people love spectating at the hills, because that is where the runners really need cheering. The hills aren't that difficult, but they do come at a bad point in the race (17-20). I like seeing the runners fresh and happy.  It breaks my heart to see people struggling, even though I know I struggle all the time when racing, and it's not something to be SAD about it, it's something to honor. It's just that dreams are broken on those hills. I don't like seeing that.

I was prepared to spectate. I had my iPhone to track runners and my camera--and for the kids a giant bag full of snacks, drinks, extra coats, and blankets to sit on should they get tired of playing. My planning paid off. I cheered for three hours and they didn't want to leave when I told them it was time to go.

This was their day:
Lara, Noah (Stormtrooper), Jordan. Jordan is convinced it's summer. She insisted on that outfit even though it was barely 60 degrees. Kids are weird.

Even though I had my camera I didn't take one picture of the runners. What is wrong with me! Actually, my excuse is that I was scanning the runners so carefully to find my people I couldn't focus on taking pictures. As is I only saw about one third of the people I wanted to see. I first saw my friend Petra's huband, Mike, who despite a tough winter of being sick and have a bum foot, went 2:50 (and he's in his mid-late 40s!). He is a stud. I then saw my friend Dave, and then a Maine friend, Jeanne (3:15 and 7th in her AG!) then one of my athletes, Rose! Rose looked incredibly strong and was RIGHT on pace. In the end her last miles slowed her slightly, and she just missed a PR, but re-qualified by 15 minutes just the same. In the time between Dave and Rose I missed a ton of people. I clearly need more spectating practice.  My friend Paul went by on his way to a sub 3:00. Another studly performance... My friend Petra CRUSHED it and PR'd by 10 minutes, running a 3:10. She is coached by her husband, and clearly this has worked for her! My teammate Don sped by too. He ended up running at 3:15--and he is 60! Amazing.  I also missed my athlete Maria, who ran a 3:24, PRing by 5 minutes. Awesome performance. I was so thrilled! Teammates Tom, Keith and Mike F also ran by at some point. I think Tom was at 3:25 (re-qualifier!), Keith did a 3:22 (ditto!) and Mike a 3:29. Ana-Maria also ran by and I missed her. She had a rough race given a totally nasty toe problem. Ugly--but she still PR'd and re-qualified! Another David (a GNRC teammate) ran by--and I missed him too. He ran a 3:28, which is a PR for that course and also a re-qualifier. Blogger friends Meg and Adrienne also kicked ass, both finishing in about 3:35!

I am shaking my head at myself. I've known idea how I could've missed so many people given my total focus on the race. Annoying.

I saw my teammate Tracey, who despite having a hammy injury all winter ran a 3:40 and re-qualified. I then saw my teammate Mike, happily ambling along. He runs Boston faithfully every year, and just looks happy every time he does it.  I then saw Kristina, who stopped and gave me a hug! I was so excited. She looked adorable with her little pigtails and MVS shirt. She ran sub 4 despite being injured all winter. Impressive. I missed my friend and teammate Melissa, too. Boo! I think she finished in 4:15? My teammate, John, another missed, finished in sub 4.

Okay, I know that was a long boring list, but I wanted to make sure I mentioned everyone. The day was perfect: sunny with a few clouds and cool. I had my usual Boston envy. This is the third year in a row I've missed it because of "my important" summer races. I am running it next year, no matter WHAT is on my summer agenda. Because of BayState last fall I'm qualified and ready to go. !

It's an incredible race. It's my hometown race.

As an extra bonus of skimming this post, I have a very exciting link to the Ange and Mary show! We are still working on our coaching website, and I made a photo album of us racing over the years. There are also shots of a few of our athletes sprinkled throughout. I love it--but that would probably be because I am just a little overly self-involved. ha! Just click here.

14 comments:

Pining for Pinterest said...

That is awesome that you got to go :) Love the pictures!!

donna furse said...

love the mary and ange show, what great pictures.

Velma said...

I love all the new pictures!

Running and living said...

Oh, thanks for the pictures! They got me excited about racing again, as soon as my toes get better:)And thanks for coming to cheer us on!

Ewa said...

My son till this day never gets cold. Then I remember that when I was a kid, my parents would insist I would get cold and I never did. Cool pics.
I miss going to watch Boston Marathon every year. Watching it on TV or streaming is not the same and this year I did not even get to see the race on the screen. So glad the weather was good.

Unknown said...

OK...so I was waiting and look forward to mile 16 just because I knew you were "somewhere" and since my husband didn't come and all our track buddies were running...you were going to be my only spectator! Just kidding! I was fine, though, and at least it gave me the motivation to push on through those hills. Cute pictures of your kiddos and I love THIS CITY...so I'll be back for my 3:20 next year:) !

Mike Platt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GetBackJoJo said...

Mike, That is the nicest tribute I think I've ever read. And, of course, you are right. Petra is incredible in a million ways... I'm so glad she found someone who knows that--and treasures it. And I had no idea you read my drivel! :) Talk soon.

Mike Platt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Regina said...

Loved the photos on your link. I am convinced the kids are imperious to the elements. It is the only explanation for going out in summer attire in 45˚ weather, or wearing winter boots when it is 80˚ out.

mjcaron said...

Great post about Boston. Thanks for the list. Petra did awesome AND she had a bad day? Goodness... I'll take what she's having!

Mike Platt said...

Melissa:
Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
I said Petra had a GOOD result from her Boston race. Good but not great. I never said BAD.

There are numerous variables that effect final result. Only one of them is execution. Petra's race execution was flawless, GREAT. She is fierce and smart, my little Marvin Hagler.
But there are other variables that were not lined up perfectly.

As I said, I have a handful of athletes, many that read here. Part of my consult philosophy is that I keep it all anonymous for them and I don't share anything about anyone else’s training. I don’t want a guy I have running track nationals wondering why his training plan is not the same as P’s or some other athlete. And I don’t ride their success. Same with P, so I will not write a lot about her training. But I will say, I could've manipulated things at New Bedford that put her closer to 1:25, and at that point she is right at 2:58/9ish. Her 1:28 is worthy of 3:05 based on my experience and using my tried and true Purdy Tables.
Additionally, because we have some team/club obligations we don't peak her for NB, and the fact that we run NB is not a great set-up for Boston. And Boston itself is a tough course at a horrible time of year for her.
If she continues with the sport at the same level we would line things up much differently and at a different race. We will see in fall, but she may come back to Triathlons to knock out a 4:30-4:40, get her Kona qualifier( I still want her below 3hrs in marathon before she returns to serious triathlon, but it is her decision, or she may back off the whole thing and just jog for health with me. Either way, her personal ceiling is still well above her development at his point in her life.
TMI, I know, but she is such a fun project, that I get super amped thinking about her career.

BTW, you can have what she has. You may already have it.
Just keep it simple, pick the 3-4 things that matter and emphasize on those. Too many coaches/books attempt to make this stuff too complex. There are more myths that float around in endurance sports than in any other sport I know of. Ignore them, perfect the basics and things will fall into place.

mjcaron said...

Mike. I should not have used that word. I know what you are saying. I'll end it there. Thanks for the response :).

Adrienne said...

So honored- a mention in Mary's post!