Friday, April 9, 2010

Selfishness and Sacrifice and I Feel Like Ranting

Triathlon is both selfish and involves sacrifice.

Does that seem oxymoronic to you?
Triathlon as  selfish sacrifice or sacrificial selfishness?


Definitions to start us off:


Main Entry: self·ish
Pronunciation: \ˈsel-fish\
Function: adjective
Date: 1640
1 : concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
2 : arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others

Date: 13th century
1 : an act of offering to a deity something precious; especially : the killing of a victim on an altar
2 : something offered in sacrifice
3 a : destruction or surrender of something for the sake of something else b : something given up or lost s made by parents>
4 : loss
 (both definitions taken from our buddy Webster.)

Upon looking at definitions the two words seem less oxymoronic. In order to excel in triathlon one must be concerned with the self to an excessive degree; he must seek advantage, and sometimes, maybe even often, he must disregard others to do so.  Conversely, (or maybe not) to sacrifice is to surrender something for the sake of something else. The something else, in this case, is getting good at triathlon--which really, let's be frank here, benefits no one except the self--so really the triathlete is sacrificing certain things (time with family, time devoted to work, a slice of pizza) for the self
However, the word sacrifice implies something good, something right, something altruistic. The word selfish implies -- well, selfishness. Which we know isn't good.... 
Case in point, you frequently hear coaches and athletes throw around the idea that excelling at triathlon involves sacrifice, but you will seldom hear the same folk saying that triathlon involves a great deal of selfishness--even though, as we just determined, selfishness and sacrifice for the benefit of the self are basically synonymous.
blah blah blah
Where am I going with this? 
I guess I am plain sick and fucking tired of the implication that I--and my fellow brethren, the triathletes--are selfish. I'm sick of it, but I'm equally sick of triathletes tooting their own horns by endlessly repeating that committing to triathlon involves sacrifice, when, ironically and somehow unbeknownst to them, that sacrifice is in service to none other than the self. 
I am a person very concerned with the self, or so I have been told. I have even been labeled narcissistic, which I think is a little mean-spirited and really goes too far, but perhaps does hold some truth. I fully acknowledge I have never thrived as a martyr or an altruist, and to some extent I have disdain for both types, which I hold, quite cynically, are often matyrish and altruistic in service to a need to feel self important and congratulatory.  In any case, I've embraced that I count, and that I better stand up for me and what I want, because hell, no one else will. 
I think what irks me about the accusation that triathlon is selfish, though, is not that I feel defensive on account of me. I AM selfish when it comes to things that feed my soul. I always have been--I admit it--I even kind of embrace it. What irks me, though, is that nearly everyone is selfish in some way--often in a major way--but they are not labeled as selfish. It is not selfish to garden, or to read obsessively, or to hike mountains (I'm thinking of my parents here. Love you both! :) or to play golf or do the crossword each day or to travel. Or maybe those things are considered selfish, but I'm just unaware? Is doing anything for the self-- selfish
My gut says yes, everything done for the self is selfish---especially.  if . you. are. a. mom.
Triathletes as a group are considered vain and selfish, but the triathlete Mom? She is the most vain and selfish. She works at her game endlessly, and sacrifices time baking cookies with her children to do so.  The mom getting coffee with her friend, or playing tennis or running for the school committee also sacrifices time with her wee ones to up her game--but that is not considered selfish. I haven't figured out why yet. 

 I am so very sick of being viewed as selfish (even if it is true to a great extent) but I'm equally tired of triathletes using the word sacrifice to honor their commitment to their sport. True, excelling in triathlon means that you need to get sleep (somehow that's a sacrifice, though I'm still confused as to how), to eat well (again????) and to spend endless time away from others perfecting our game. We sacrifice--yes--we sacrifice--but we sacrifice not in a selfless way, which is what, at least in my mind, the word sacrifice should be used in reference to. Hearing that  one must sacrifice to get good at triathlon makes me want to hurl... really. It's a sacrifice to devote endless hours to something you love? It's a sacrifice to insist you get sleep and eat good, healthy food? It's a sacrifice to spend money on triathlon equipment -- money that could be sent to the American Red Cross to or C.A.R.E? Come ON! 

I'm selfish. I sacrifice. 

As a mom, it's not okay to be the first, but perfectly acceptable to do the latter--even though in the end, they can be the exact same thing. 
If you're a mom, it's hard to get it right. 




 
 

17 comments:

Judi said...

mary, you are a GOOD mom and you are an amazign athlete. not sure why the fuck you care so much about whether or not people think you are selfish and "sacraficing" too much time to be a good mom. who CARES what these people think? what makes you amazing to me is the ability to do it all, be a good mom to 3 kids, coach athletes, be a good wife, etc. AND you a/g almost every race you do. something is going well, no?

Nitsirk said...

If you're a mom it seems it's hard to get anything right. I liked this post. I struggle a lot with feeling ok about taking time for me to train when I only have so many hours to spend with the kiddo after a 45 hour workweek. I have a lot of guilt about working (which I love) and adding training time on top sometimes sends me over the edge. I wish moms could be more supportive of one another and that being a mom wasn't some contest you "win" by bringing homemade gluten-free cupcakes to the party. I think maybe I could write my own post on the subject :) Glad you have made peace with doing what you love and have gotten pretty damn good at it. You are a great role model for your kids.

April Bowling said...

That was a fucking AWESOME post. Thank you. I'm glad I selfishly sacrificed my time to read it :)

Running and living said...

I hope the ranting helped.
I am selfish and proud of it. In fact, I am not having another child bc of that (and also bc I don't have enough nurturing for two, but that is another story). I also avoid sacrificing myself, I believe that there are better ways, like compromise, deal making and bribery (with kids). I can say that I have almost zero mom guilt, though I admit I had to work on that during my first year of mothering. I have gotten very good at 1) being acceptant of my imperfections as a human being (thank God for them!), and 2) cutting myself a lot of slack.
Triathlon is neither selfish nor a sacrifice. It is what we make it to be.

GoBigGreen said...

I am not a mom, but i have aging parents so i am kind of the reverse mom:) I think its good to be selfish to some extent and as an outsider to motherhood ( ok i may offend some) IMO it is hugely annoying those mom's that are NOT selfish enough and toot their horns for never taking anytime for themselves( doesnt have to be in Tri) and all they do is talk about sacrifice for their kids. AGain. I am not a mom. shoot me if i am pissing anyone of.
But from sports of past....um...If i were playing tennis as i used to ( and this is AFTER college, not in the easy days of school sport sleep eat) I would be on the court 5 hours a day in the summer and maybe 2-3 in the winter. Plus drive time. And you cant play tennis at 5am in your basement.

As i said Mary you are inspiring to many, and just do what you gotta do bc at the end of the day all that matters is what you and your family need.

Pining for Pinterest said...

Amen!! Have a great weekend!

Michelle said...

Love. This. Post.

I have stopped thinking about this myself, because, frankly, I find it all BS. You and I both are well aware of the benefits of being a mom with goals, aspirations, and having the kidlets see us work HARD for those goals. Sometimes we reach them - woo hoo! Other times, we don't. Sucks for us on those days, but what a great lesson for the kids - sometimes, you work really, really, hard, and you don't quite make it to the top. Do you then quit? Hell no, you keep working hard and you try again, and again, and again. What a great freaking life lesson that is!!!!! A much better one than illustrating how to make the perfect toll-house cookie, in my opinion. I know I've posted before about a Lobsterman race a few years ago - I started out of T2 and had the WORST side cramp I've ever experienced - I'm talking bent over at the waist, unable to run at all, totally gimping down the road. I was ALL set to DNF right there - the first time in my life it's ever crossed my mind, but my race was shot and I knew it. Then I saw my son smiling and SCREAMING for me ("Go Mom!!!!") - and I am not teaching my kid to quit. Suck it up, walk the whole freakin' 10k if I have to, etc. So I limped on after giving him a half-hearted smile and a thumbs up, and I finished the f*ing race (after having to walk the first mile - how much do you think THAT sucked?). I told him about it after the race, and he STILL to this day talks about the time Mom was hurting bad but Did. Not. Quit. Again, that just doesn't compare to a cookie, I don't care how good a baker you are. :)

My kids now both occasionally race, and they love it. They work out with me when it's possible. They know what it means to eat healthfully. More parental goodness right there.

Anyone giving you shit about being selfish is either insecure or jealous (or both). Let it roll of your back. You know better.

But, this is coming from a proud selfish bitch, so take it for what it's worth. :)

Ange said...

Ok, my comment just DIsappeared on me!
I'll try again. I can't even tell you how much this post sums up my feelings. Feelings I have had bottled up in me. I HATE the comment, upon hearing of my Ironman training and races, " Oh wow. Your husband must be SO understanding!" Um, yes. But Hey! This took tons and tons and tons of Work and dedication and balance that came from Me! Ugh. Selfish thought there. It's a comment that sounds as if what I did was bad and hurt my family. Guess what...it didn't. Seriously, I did Not neglect my boys during that time. In fact, I dare say I taught them a few key lessons by having them watch their Mom tough it out on 100 mile bike rides in the pouring rain. sigh....
But that's just one thing--- This is our hobby. Our passion. something we do well at. Why is it
less admirable than other hobbies? I have referred to this same thing in a past blog as well.
I'll stop rambling... but I completely understand these feelings.

mjcaron said...

Ok first off did you know katherine the great w/drew from Boston? :)

So. You seem pretty pissed off. Here's my response. No I'm not a mom but I have a business and employees who (I think) would prefer me to be at the office as much as they are. In my pursuit of selfishness?? I say tough shit!!!

Thay don't see that by doing things that are good for us make us better people in all aspects of life. Its not selfish its smart. I don't feel I sacrifice anything for triathlon.I don't have to. If I feel I'm missing something I just find time to add it in. Thanks for this intriguing post whilst completing my easy spin.

Angela and David said...

Found your blog via JH! This post struck a cord with me as I often struggle with these feelings. I'm still a relatively new mom trying to figure it out and determine what the balance is that I am okay with.

We just moved into a new house and the teenager across the street is super excited to babysit for me when I go to masters. Another mom was standing around and I asked her if she ever used the girl for babysitting and she said in a very judgmental way "No, I don't usually just leave my kids." I ended up feeling really sorry for her although I know she felt superior to me

Velma said...

Well said - that is all I can say. Time to go be selfish!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

You know the people that think I may be selfish and whatever else in my neighborhood? The ones who volunteer all day every day in the schools? That never leave their kids? That judge us who train for races or whatever we do? WORK (gasp) full time? The ones who say to me, "I don't know how you do it all" in one breath but then tell me I am "NO FUN" in another (because I don't drink or do drugs w/ them - gasp!).

Yep...we know them. And, they are the ones totally depressed, overweight, crying b/c they are bored when their kids go to school, have no hobbies other than their kids, don't know what to do w/ themselves @ 40??

Yes, these are the same moms who come to me and cry b/c t hey are overweight...they are miserable and how can I help them? Please HELP ME, Jenny.

Yep. I am selfish. But, I am much more balanced and guess what?

HAPPY. (Gasp).

Trisaratops said...

I love this. Thank you.

donna furse said...

I think everyone has said it, when your a mom, wife and a triathlete you make choices, I don't call them sacrifices or being selfish, I call them choices. These choices are what we make them. If one more person says to me, " how do you find the time to train?", " how does your husband do it when your gone so long to bike", " he must be a saint". F- that, I get up at 4am in the morning so not to reak havic on the family, I'm happy, the family is then happy and the husband has a wife who is healthier and happier. I make choices, and screw the people who think we are selfish, that just pisses me off.

Katie said...

Hmmm, not sure I agree. The second part of that selfish definition was "with disregard to others." Do you really train with disregard to your children? I doubt it. I would even argue that training may make you a better mom. One, you are setting a good example for your children by getting rest, eating well, and training. Two, by doing something that feeds your soul you're probably more willing to make other sacrifices for your family. At least that's how I rationalize my training. ;)

Regina said...

Great post. I don't feel the sacrifice thing either. However, I try not to think too much about either, I am an over thinker and I will drive myself nuts. That said, I do know I am selfish, but I believe it is this selfishness that makes me a better mom. I get what I want and I am happy. What is better than a happy mom? I also like to believe (and maybe I am deluding myself) that I am setting a good example for my son; exercise, good eating, etc. Only time will tell.

MaineSport said...

I think you and the others are missing something. There's a diffeence between being selfish and engaging in a selfish activity. A sport like triathlon that requires solo training time, time away from others, and time/attention even when you're home is selfish. How you manage it all with your other responsibilities and loves determines whether or not you in particular are selfish. It's very easy to slip into the mono-thought world of triathlon and be selfish. It takes consistent effort to stay engaged with those around you. If successful, you aren't selfish at all.