Saturday, April 17, 2010

Going Long

How do you know if you are ready to go long? You don't. You commit, train and pray. -Friel and Byrn, Going Long.

The other day a friend reminded me it's only 11 weeks until IM CDA. Actually, now it's 10 weeks.

Sometimes 10 weeks seems like a very long time.
Today is does not.

I had this idea that I would be like steel on the bike before the race. I would do so many long, long rides that I wouldn't even FEEL 112 miles. It would just be a little warm-up (albeit one that takes me 6 hours). My thinking is that I won't be able to run that marathon if I am as f-uped up as I was after the bike at IMLP, so the bike simply cannot fuck me up at IM CDA. I must rule the bike. If I rule the bike, I can also rule the run.

Yep. Easier said than done.

Jen has been giving me long rides. At this point I've done four centuries +. Hell, I've done two centuries in the last week and a half. I no longer balk when I see a century on the plan. I know I can do it. I know I can do it alone. I know I can run for 4 miles when I finish it. I know it's simply not that big a deal.

Except it is a big deal. At about 4 hours in, it becomes a very big deal every time. I have seen improvement. It used to be a big deal when I hit 3:30. Before that it was a big deal once I hit 3 hours.

What do I mean by a big deal? It becomes a big deal for me the minute I stop thinking about just riding, and instead start thinking about how much I hate riding.
I love riding for about two hours. Riding is okay from about two-four hours. However, (at this point) I simply don't like it after about four hours. I simply want to get the fuck off my bike. I know I've hit the I hate this point when I can't stop the negative thoughts from flowing.

Oh My God, I still have 2 and 1/2 more hours.
Oh My God, I am pathetically slow.
Oh My God, I just want to stop and chill.
And I know it's gotten really bad when I start cursing cars and stoplights--out loud.
And I know I'm at my limit when I start screaming Fucking Fuck! at the top of my lungs when I get jolted by hitting a scrap of bad road.

When I was in Tucson, Jen (or maybe it was Jerome--I can't remember) told me that I probably wasn't fueling properly if when I get to mile 75 I don't want to ride anymore. I'm not sure this is true. I eat a lot when riding. I drink a lot too. I think it's a more a mental thing. After riding that long I simply want to do something else--anything else. It is also physical. I don't want to ride anymore when even riding in zone 2 feels hard and I start fantasizing about getting off the bike and massaging my aching ass.


I did a century on Thursday. I had a meeting at LuLu Lemon before my ride which was very fun. I had been asked to attend a design meeting with one of their designers from Vancouver. The woman designer looked a bit like Kate Moss, but cute as opposed to sultry. She basically wanted to get our feedback on the the yoga/running/tri scene in Boston, and have us give her feedback on products. I talked a lot. I always do.

But I'm off topic.

My point is that I couldn't start my ride until 11 am. Andy had agreed to come home early to get the kids off the bus, because there was no way I would be home before 5:30 p.m.
As always, the first hours of my ride were  fine. I took it out slowly, I didn't stress about my slow speed or my lackluster heart-rate. I knew my job was to work the second half harder than the first. It was sunny and warm, and the first flowers of spring were blooming. All good.
I turned to head home at 52 miles. I was in Grafton--a long way from home.  I was excited to start the second half. I felt strong and ready to kill it.
And then the temperature dropped. It was sudden and dramatic. It went from being in the low 60s to the mid 40s. The wind picked up and was swirling all over the place. No matter what direction I rode, the wind was in my face--and it was pissed. It really just wanted to test me--to fuck me up. (The wind and I have battled this week, huh?) The weather change was partly just bad luck. It was also predictable, though, and here's where I am at fault. It's April in New England. It doesn't stay warm past 3:00 pm. It just doesn't. Add to this that at about 4:00 pm commuter traffic picks up. I shouldn't have been out that late, and if I was planning on being out that late, I should've brought the gear to deal with it. And I didn't.
And. It. Sucked.

It sucked for the next 51 miles. I was so cold I couldn't get my hands to shift. I was so cold my muscles in my legs (I was in shorts) were like frozen lumps that refused to fire. I was so cold that I lost complete feeling not only in my feet, but also my hands, wrists, ankles. Cars were everywhere, leaning in close and honking. I felt enormously ENORMOUSLY sorry for myself.

My thinking went something like:

I fucking hate this. This sucks.
It's a privilege, Mary! You could be home doing laundry! 
Why do I do this? My ass is killing me and I'm lonely.
You love this, Mary! The more you talk shit in your head, the more unhappy you will get. 
Whatever. You hate riding. Why do you try to convince yourself you love it when it just fucking sucks!
It doesn't suck. You love this. You're just cold and tired and your heart rate is low. Jen will see this file. Pick up the pace! Move it!
Shut up! I'm doing the best I can!

etc. and so on.

"A deep love of cycling is a fundamental requirement for successful long-distance racing." Friel and  Byrn, Going Long.

Can you cow yourself into a deep love of cycling?
Actually, I think you can. But I'm not there yet.

What I know--quite deeply, actually--is that I need to have that deep love before things come together for me in IM racing. I need to master the bike at IM, but before I can master it, I have to love it like I love running. I have to love it even when I hate it.  I have to love it even when it totally sucks.

I'm not there yet. But I will get there. I need to get there.












21 comments:

donna furse said...

oh god, I feel your pain, I hit the wall all the time at 4hrs and its all mental, unless I'm riding with people which I rarely do, I just want to get off the bike, I just want it to end, especially when the wind picks up or it gets cold or its raining, its so hard sometimes. I do like the bike very much, I'm just wondering whether or not I'll ever get to loving the bike past being on it 4hrs, I don't know. If you figure it out could you let me know.

k said...

Love this post Mary!! I was literally laughing a nodding my head with you - your description was great of the goings on in everyone's head sometimes. Thanks for the inspiration, I haven't completed an IM yet (though it's my life long dream). I when I train I always hear the voice of my (former) coach telling me that I wasn't ready for an IM (that I was planning on training for which was 1.5 years away). Well, I already had my own negative thoughts (who doesn't?) and now I have 2 competing with my "keep it up attitude" :)
Keep up the good work & inspiration!

Running and living said...

All these tough long rides are going to make the bike at IMCA much easier, not easy but easier! And you do love the bike, just not the last 2 hours of the 6! That is pretty awesome!
I don't know if your couch is fine with a little distraction on the bike, but maybe a little music or a good book on tape might make the last couple of hours easier once in a while. I think you have formed an association between the last few hours on the bike and discomfort and dislike, there is probably some anticipatory fear and yuckiness about those last few hours on the bike as well. If you make the last couple of hours easier by using a little distraction, you may be able to break this association so that when you do bike without headphones you'll have an easier time.

Bob Turner said...

Alright, you gotta get your head screwed on right before this race! SO, grab the book the book by Bobby McGee (I'm sure you have it) and read the section on negative self talk again. Either that or I'm gonna drive down there and slap you around! Hahahahah!!! Hang in there Mary, you'll be just fine, you're strong and fast and have a lot of heart so go out there and kick some ass! You should come up here and ride the Raymond Hill Loop with us next Sunday...should be a great time - with great hills. Always love reading your posts.
BT

Ewa said...

Pushing the limits is hard and it does not seem to matter whether those are biking or running limits. But you did it, you are getting better every time you go out.
I used to live in MA and I don't really recall seeing many bike lanes. Riding in rush traffic there on narrow, hilly roads must be nerve wrecking.
You are one tough lady.

mjcaron said...

I think that as you become that much more experienced you will inevitably love it more. I mean, someone doing the first 20 mile run probably hates it. Then, when they realize that they need to prepare more with the right clothing, food, day before sleep etc.. they like it more the next time around.

I still think that even though your ride was hatefull :) you will be that much more mentally tough. It had to have paid off somehow.

Sorry you had to go through that. I would be cursing out loud as well. Probably even louder and more distasteful. lol..

Velma said...

You will get there and you are putting in the work to achieve your goals.

I like the negative talk book chapter. Good idea. How about bring pics of Kona along on the bike and bring them out when you feel like crap. A nice treat might also help at mile 80. Good luck.

BTW, you look fantastic. Boobs or no boobs, I was very impressed when I saw your ranking!! AA baby!!

Judi said...

wow, 4 centuries girl. that's HUGE! you go on with your bad self. i love being on my bike for a long time. it's crazy fun to me.

cheryl said...

I'm with you Mary. I hit the wall near 3-4 hours, no matter how many weeks in a row I ride that long. But you will love the long ride at CdA, and most of all you will love when you get off the bike and get to put those awesome run legs of yours to work. it will all come together for you. I saw you ride in Tucson, you were strong, physically and mentally.

kerrie said...

sounds like you are riding a lot! i find spending time on the bike tough too....for so many reasons(i have an endless list of excuses) and i think i have the exact same conversations you are having everytime i'm out there...as if i need to clean my house ;) or do laundry. so to keep it fresh, i don't really do any longish rides until about 8 or so weeks out from my IM....and i impose a 5 hour limit. i don't know how far i get, but i figure that 5 hours is good enough as i think it tires me sufficiently.(but maybe that's why my bike sucked so much in CDA last year, lol).

Michelle Simmons said...

I think a lot of us are very familiar with those feelings. It's *especially* tough to do those long rides by yourself and when the weather is crap. I don't suppose there are any training partners you could recruit to go with you? Even for part of the ride (like the last 2 hours?)
I think the long rides grow on you though because I can honestly say that I LOVE them now. It probably took about 10 years of riding and racing long before I got to this point, but I really do love riding for 6 hours. So it'll come if you do it long enough. ;)

solobreak said...

You didn't mention thinking about food once. That is not normal on a six hour ride. There really is something wrong with you. But at least you're probably eating enough...

Unknown said...

OMG! You're here in Boston!!?? OK, when you see me at mile 16, cuss me out because that will motivate me and I'll know it's you!!! I know I'm not paying for your coaching yet....but I'll need the kick in the ass :)!

April Bowling said...

I was just having this conversation today...I love up to 2hours on the bike. I hate everything over that. I have been riding a long time now and have not been able to change that. Great riding partners make all the difference, but as busy moms trying to shoehorn everything in it is SO HARD to be able to schedule rides with your peeps....what to do?

Anonymous said...

I am trying to figure out at what point the deep love of cycling will arrive yet as well. I think part of it is that every time I ride with people I'm reminded that I'm not very good at it, and the other part is guilt at being out on my bike for long periods of time- like, even if it's a Sunday, there's always some kind of work I could be doing. But my longest ride has only been 60 miles- two centuries so close is mad impressive!

Ange said...

sigh.... I get this.

I swear when I ride too.

Pam said...

Mary, I don't know what Jerome was talking about re: fuel or whatever. One would have to be OUT OF HER MIND to enjoy riding for 6 hours by herself repeatedly. Once or twice when you can't find a training buddy, fine. Over and over and over... It's the worst!!! I sign up for week long 400+ mile bicycle trips for fun but when I had to do half a dozen solo centuries getting ready for IMMoo, I am telling you, half of them ended in tears. Don't beat yourself up for not loving having a sore butt, tired legs and no mojo after 80+ lonely miles on the bike. You would have to be a total moron to love to do that over and over again. I am sure you will do great at IM CdA, love or no love.

LDub said...

ALONE!?!?!?!? no no no. boring and not safe.

you are impressive for riding alone.

Jennifer Harrison said...

Funny to read everyone's posts on here. As an athlete, I do most of my long rides solo...yesterday I rode 70 some solo and i prefer it that way...i am not riding OTHER people's paces...I can control the effort and pace and do what my workout is supposed to be...and I think it is best to do a big chunk of IM training solo....how to learn the mental anguish that is the IM.
And, Pam, (haha) Jerome (my husband) is a FREAK...he is the rare TYPE B triathlete...and if he could live in a cave and never talk to anyone but me he would be VERY HAPPY...so ignore him. (LOL)....
And, Mary, you know...10 weeks is a TON of time when an athlete is already in shape. It is an issue when that athlete is NOT in shape...then it is not long enough!

Regina said...

That is me on the run. I do not like running. I love biking. However, I could totally relate to everything you said. Remember me two weeks ago (ok, I wasn't riding 100 miles, but it was my own personal hell).

I don't know if I could ever do an IM, but I certainly can imagine how mentally tough that has to be. I still think you are pretty awesome, especially for sharing that kind of angst; we all like to know we are not alone.

To me, you are kicking ass, hang in there.

BRFOOT said...

I don't know you or anything about you but just stmble over here from Lucho's. Having done IMCDA twice and living here and riding this terrain all the time. I feel qualified to give some advice. HILLS, Not real long but pretty steep. The length of the hills will disceive you into thinking you can hammer up them, don't. Save the hammer for the flats. Spin up the hills fly down them hammer on the flats. Simple :)