Friday, April 2, 2010

Just a Ride

 I want to write about my ride on Thursday. But first,

I never reported on the THIRD day of camp. This will be a short synopsis. I may or may not write more about it later.

On the third day of camp I rode 118 miles with the other campers doing IM this year.

It took a really long time.

I wanted to push the pace so we would be done earlier. But I didn't. Or couldn't b/c I was with the group. This was probably best since at mile 107 (when the ride was supposed to finish) I was sort of - a  little-  kind of TOAST.

I loved the people I rode with. I wish I could ride with them every day. We were all sort of at the same place in terms of fitness and ability, which is so unusual. The only person in far superior shape than the rest of us was Jerome, and he's like--Jerome. He looked like he could've biked 5 MPH faster average for the ride, and then gone on to do another 100 to boot.

When we finished I was happy and hungry and ready for a big, tall beer. End of synopsis.

----------------------------
It rained at the beginning of this week, but on Thursday it was merely gray, not raining, and I had a 75 mile ride planned.

I'm boring. I nearly always do the same route. This is for two reasons.

1. I like this route.
 2. If I stray from this route I invariably get lost and spend a lot of my ride trying to figure out how to get home.  As previously mentioned, I'm directionally challenged.

Tucson's landscape is so vastly different than that of New England. It left me motivated to capture my landscape--what I experience every day I ride. Because I spend so much time by myself on this self-created route, I decided I wanted to photographically document my favorite parts it. I know you are VERY EXCITED. Try to stay calm.

This is a barn I see early on in my ride. I like the painted cow.


I see this coming up a hill about 50 minutes into my ride. Pretty great, huh?









This is Pee Stop #1. I usually pee, then check my mail on my iPhone as I eat a snack.





These two shots are of an abandoned barn. I've always wanted to go in and explore, but I'm too chicken. I need someone to go with me. Anyone? Anyone?

This is pee stop #2. It's picturesque. I've selected my pee stops carefully for both their capacity for privacy (low traffic, country roads) and beauty.

This is the view from pee stop #2.
















This is another shot of the same lake at pee stop #2.

As I emerge from these country roads I go up a big hill and see: 

It always motivates me a bit to make it to my sign.















After a time on some main roads (yucko) I go back into country lane terrain. Remember I fell a few weeks ago in a big puddle? The big puddle is still there. This time I climbed (with my bike) on the stone wall to get around it, though. That sucker is DEEP.


But not as big as The Whitehall Reservoir in Hopkinton. After a few figure eights I end up circumnavigating this puppy.










Another shot of the Reservoir. It looks like dusk, but as I mentioned, it was just another gray day. I took this picture at like noon.


If you can't read the sign it says Boot Shop, 1788. How cool is that? I have peered in the windows. It's empty. This is in Upton, on the border of Hopedale.










And here we have Pee stop #3. This is my oldest and most favorite pee stop. I've peed here for many years now. It's actually quite lovely in the summer, even though I'm sure it's quite saturated with my pee.

On the way home I travel through Hopkinton Center, which is where the Boston Marathon begins! This gazebo is the epicenter of CRAZINESS on marathon morning.








And here is the famous starting line of the Boston Marathon. This part of my ride is fun, because it is downhill for quite a bit, and very fast.
I didn't document even one quarter of my ride on Thursday. But this is a start.

I spend a lot, a lot, a lot of time riding these roads. Just me and Mrs. Z and my snacks.

18 comments:

Ange said...

ahhhh. New England. Beautiful. Home.

Barb said...

Thanks for the Hopkinton photos. I am running my first Boston in two weeks.
Today was the last long run (22miles) and those two pictures are just what I needed to see as I walk around on very sore legs.

GoBigGreen said...

I seem to forget everything from my 100 mile rides and therefore like 80 miles since I am still lucid after:) not that you forgot anything..but crap girlfriend 118 is alot!!

I would go barn exploring with you... You are making me homesick for new England:)

cheryl said...

Mary-even on a cloudy day, its still really beautiful where you live... I have to say way better than desert.

donna furse said...

you are so funny, I can't believe you have specific pee spots. I rode 60 miles today and just held it till I got home. When I'm racing I have no problem peeing on my bike but unless I really gotta go or my ride is > 4hrs I don't stop, I basically pack my entire food bag and drink supply. Love the pics.

LDub said...

Beautiful pictures! Looks more than "just" a ride...looks like a GREAT ride!

sallyaston said...

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. It is so different from 0 he desert where I live; Glad you had fun in Tucson! Its a great time of year to be out here :-)

John said...

Beautiful! Reminds me of home when I'm stuck here in flat Houston.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the tour of your pee spots! There weren't too many bushes but I did see a lot of leaves, which is nice. We have the opposite, lots of bushes and no leaves. I just "pack my own," if you know what i mean!
Gosh, I loved that Boot Shop too. Your home turf is so historical! Have an nice weekend,
meg

Running and living said...

I would not call a 70 mile ride "just a ride", more like "even ride", but then I biked 70 miles the entire month of March. You are doing amazing with your biking, and could it be that you and Mrs Z are happier together these days?

Sara Cox Landolt said...

Good idea to document the route with pictures, pretty. I have a favorite route up by my in-laws. It helps to know where the best stops are and where the country dogs live...

Jennifer Harrison said...

Aw, I love how you said, we rode 118 mile and that was it. LOL

The ride in pics is pretty - The east coast is amazing and after riding in the desert for 4 days, you can appreciate the green lush even more! :)

Jennifer Cunnane said...

Pee stops, priority numero uno if you have a) birthed children and/or b) are doing a very good job of practicing your IM nutrition = good job!! Hysterical! I think the first long ride post I have viewed that "well" documented!

Kim said...

love the picture post. maybe one day when i get fast, i can join you on this ride. i get lost on every single ride i do. i am totally directionally challenged.

Swimming for ME said...

You might have to go and capture New England on a sunny warm summer day, cause it ain't lookin' too hot compared to Tuscon. But hey, at least we have water, right?

mjcaron said...

Thank goodness you have your snacks.. I mean.. it wouldn't be any fun without the snacks.. for sure.

Hey, I love how this ride looks.. any chance you have it on gmap and you can email me the link? pretty please ??? I have a new 72 miler I bought from mapmytri that I will trade you.

Regina said...

Pick me! Pick me! I want to explore that abandoned barn with you.

Thanks for the tour, that was really nice. I wish it was as picturesque here. I have to go 75 miles just to get to picturesque. I'm also wondering if view from pee spot #2 was taken while peeing in pee spot #2? You don't have to answer that.

Ewa said...

I used to live in Hopkinton. Loved New England (except in February when snow stopped being fun).
I will go exploring the old barn with you only that it is a bit far from CA.
Great photos.