Monday, June 21, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

No, it's not today. It's tomorrow. And as you ALL MUST KNOW BY NOW, I am turning 40. I have been basically obsessed with this fact since I was 38.5, so I feel a sense of relief that my b-day is tomorrow and it will be official. 4. fucking. 0. And really, Thank God. Thirty-nine is so ominous--so it's almost here. Forty is just clean. It is even.
It is.

By the way, my birthday makes me a Cancer in terms of astrology. Although you likely won't admit it, you do know a bit about the signs. Am I right? Maybe not if you are a guy, but definitely if you are a girl. My rising sign is Scorpio, by why of explanation, because if you do know something about the signs, you would know that Cancer doesn't appear to quite fit. (No need to mention that this may be b/c astrology is bullshit.)
If I had my choice I would be an Aries. I love Aries. They are confident--cocky even. I also like Virgo, because they are steady and intellectual. I am not steady at all. I could use some steadiness. 

That was a throw-away paragraph, and normally I would delete it for this reason, but it's almost my birthday, so I am keeping it even though it doesn't fit.

I am not saying much this morning, but I will say this:

Yesterday I went to a swim meet and watched my daughter compete in the 100 meter fly--long course--at MIT.

She is eight.
EIGHT.
100 METERS FLY.

It took her a long time--2:45 to be exact. The first 25 was just beautiful. Her stroke is nearly flawless now--for 25 meters, anyway. Then it begins to fall away. She began breathing every stroke at about the 40 meter point. At the turn I thought for sure she would pause to compose herself.

But she didn't. She just kept going. No, it wasn't especially pretty. Her arms barely skimmed the surface, and by 75 meters it looked as if she was practically swimming in place. But she didn't give in. She didn't do a breaststroke kick (which would've disqualified her). She just kept going. And she finished. I couldn't see her face because she was at the far end of the pool, away from me. I saw she allowed the timer to help her out of the water.

When I watched her finished I got teary.
Everything makes me teary right now, of course. I am celebrating a big b-day, today is the week anniversary of letting Linus go, in a few days time I am doing an Ironman and I am very very nervous about it. Still, I think the tears may have been just because her finishing was poignant.

You need to keep going. 
After you turn 40, after your puppy dies, when you are in the second half of the marathon of an Ironman, when you are swimming the 100 meter fly in a race.
You keep going. It is that simple.

When I asked her how it was she said simply, "It was tiring." Then I asked her what her favorite event was that day. She had done a 50 meter free, 50 meter breast, 100 meter back, too. (The day previous was 50 fly, 50 back, 100 breast. 100 free--Big weekend for a little kid!)
Anyway. I thought she would say the 50 meter free, in which she PR'd and placed well. But you know what? She said she liked the 100 fly the best! "Really?" I said. "But why?"

"Well, because I felt like I really did something. And now I want to try it again. I know I could swim it better next time."

GOD I felt connected to her in that moment. I get that, Jordan. I get it.
Bring on the Ironman.

26 comments:

Kim said...

happy happy birthday tomorrow friend. and a huge congrats on having a fantastically awesome daughter. like mother like daughter :)

Tricia said...

happy early birthday!

Running and living said...

Happy Bday and huge congrats to your awesome daughter. I bet you see yourself in her, such a great feeling. Good luck on Sunday - that's all you need, really!

GoBigGreen said...

Happy Tommorrow! and ya know coming from a 44 yo, not only do you keep going, but you often keep going with more flair, more speed and more enjoyment of life. Good luck at CDA!

Regina said...

First, Happy Birthday!!! Welcome to the club.

Secondly, That is one great kid with a extremely healthy attitude. I like her!

I wonder/hope they can see something in our own performance that influences that. My 4 year old got trampled at the kids race at my HIM. I fully expected him to just start crying and give up. He popped back up and kept running to the finish. Don't underestimate the drive in these kids.

Unknown said...

I loved this post! Congratulations to your little girl! I signed up my older daughter for the 400 IM (long course) a couple months ago, just after she turned 11. I teared up watching her struggle to complete the first 100 of fly. Poor thing finished over a full minute after the other girls in her heat, but I was so proud of her. At first she was really pissed that I'd signed her up for such a hard event, but after it was over she also said it was her favorite and she said she was so glad she'd done it. I like how your girls put it - it felt like she'd really done something. :) Sounds like what endurance events are all about.

Happy birthday!

Eileen said...

happy b-day and thanks for the sharing that sweet moment, great post.

Swimming for ME said...

Nice Jordan! She's my kinda girl.

And you forgot to add you love Leo's too. ;)

Happy "4 - fucking -0" as you say. And thank god for every healthy year that you are out doing what you love.

Oh yeah, and you're gonna crush that MFcking race.

Anonymous said...

awwww... happy birthday, or should I say 11th anniversary of being 29? I will remember your speedy and determined munchkin while I am swimming in that pool later today. (But not fly. I only sort of know how, so I'm extra impressed.)

solobreak said...

I only have 32 people on my blogroll and two of them are turning 40 tomorrow (you and G-Ride). The blow of milestone b-days has been softened for me by the bump in age group. Good luck in I-da-ho!

Ange said...

Ok, wow, Jordan. That really made me cry. Seriously? Mary. That's just awesome. 100 m fly. I would be scared of that rigth now and I was a Butterfier in college!!! Give her a hug for me ok? Tell her I'm proud. Proud of all our little bambinos this weekend!!
YOU ARE SO READY!!!
REady for 4-bleep-0 and ready for Ironman like nobody else. Can't wait. Wish wish wish I could be there.
HappyBirthday sista.
xoxooAnge

Ange said...

oh yeah..and what about Capricorns! :)

donna furse said...

I think I could manage 1 armed fly for 100 meters, good god, how amazing and she's only 8. Way to go. Happy B-day my friend, turning 40 was great for me and I think I"m loving my 40's more than my 30's, we only get better. Lots of love this week.

LDub said...

WAY TO GO JORDAN!! She is like her momma! TOUGH GIRLS! :) For an 8 yr old - just TRYING all of those is fabulous!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! you might be the youngest 40 yr old in your AG at CDA! ;)

Are we there yet?

JBM said...

smart kid! and happy bday to you! kick ass at IMCDA!!!

mjcaron said...

Woot Woot!! I can't think of a better way to celebrate your 40th than to do an IM regardless of the outcome. You will always be able to tell people you celebrated in the best possible way.

That's amazing how Joran has a feel for endurance?? already!

Trisaratops said...

LOVE this! Jordan rocks.

Happy birthday to you!

Jennifer Harrison said...

OH boy! JORDAN Is amazing - you know I can relate b/c I have two 8 year olds - yay! 100 m Fly, crap adults won't even do that! GOOD FOR HER.

And, 40. 40. Yep, 40. Who cares. Will you tell me that when I turn 40 in January? And, I know it is just a number bullshit, but it is more than that. It is a milestone.

THIS is a great week for you, Mary! LOTS to celebrate for sure.

And, Ange is a Capricorn she said - that is right...go figure...are you surprised she is a Capricorn and I am too? LOL

thinking of you this week and sending good and fast vibes for Sunday. I'll be the biggest cheerleader all day online!

GetBackJoJo said...

@ Ange and Jen and Alina... of course I love my Capricorns and my Leos too! :) and Jen, NO surprise that you and Ange are both capricorn! haha!

Michelle Simmons said...

Happy Birthday, Mary! And, um, just WOW to jordan. How awesome. I hope Moana has her same spirit... :)

Jean, aka Mom said...

Mary,
Capricorns, Leos, whatever. Geminis
always have the face for/to it!
Luck and Love to you.

David said...

It figures that today is your birthday. It proves the Conservation of Matter and Energy, because the terrible event of my birth is balanced by the awesomeness of yours. The universe is at peace :)

Hope things are amazing, and proud to share the bday with you!

trailmomma said...

Happy Birthday!

And wow, your daughter is amazing. What a strong amazing girl you have. I cannot wait to have moments like that with my little girl some day.

MaineSport said...

I look forward to the masters showdown in 12 years. Speaking of 40, relate it to the IM- the swim is about 40x100 (4,176 yds), the bike is just shy of 3x40 mi, and the run is about 40k (42.2). So to celebrate, do lots of 40s @ IMCDA and kick some fanny.

Chris said...

Happy birthday and good luck at Ironman CDA.

I would love to have you on the TriTopics podcast to tell about your race experience if you are interested. Let me know.

Katie said...

Congrats to Jordan and happy birthday to you! Everything makes me tear up right now too. I was tearing up as I read your post. I'm 30 weeks pregnant though, so I blame these ridiculous hormones. Oh, and funny you mention aries, I'm an aries. ;)