Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The other side!

Well. Here I am. I have a ten part post planned, but I can't write it all out right now because I only have my Iphone. Do you know what a pita it is to type out a post with one finger? Still, I wanted to check in and say wahoo! I had a great race! And I ran that god damn marathon!

To run the marathon in an Ironman you really must execute the rest of the race correctly, and that is, simply put, not easy. I did the swim and bike according to plan- which is what I am most proud of. Let me tell you, it is not easy to hold back on the bike and let other girls get ahead of you that you know you could get. You have to have faith that you will get them on the run, knowing that even if you take it easy on the bike the run is still going to take every ounce of will power and fight you have.

My run was great for the first 15 miles, and then, as it does for everyone, it got wicked wicked hard. I was unbelievably bloated, I was so sick to my stomach that I couldn't keep down gel, and my farts were getting very close to Not being benign little stinkers. At mile 25, with just half mile to go it happened-- I started barfing and couldn't stop-- and the farting was, alas, not farting anymore. But I sort if recovered, made it through the final half mile, and then collapsed and spent the next hour hurling in the med tent. Ah well... At least I know I did what I set out to do: I literally ran until I collapsed! (I'm proud.):)

My splits were 1:05 for the swim ( very rough and cold!)I finished 3rd AG so even though it was slow I was pleased with that; 5:56 for the bike which is what I could pull out given my wattage caps (I was 11th AG coming off the bike), and 4:04 for the marathon, which is slower than I wanted but still in the ballpark of what I had anticipated. I finished 8th AG, so I did run a few fading girls down. Yay!

8/145 for AG, and I think 42nd female including pros, and 29th female not including them. No kona yet, but I will get there! I will write a more detailed post when I'm not composing on the phone. I've got some stories! Thanks for following me.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome job! I can't wait to read the longer recap. I am in awe.

Kim said...

couldnt be prouder of you friend. was clicking refresh every minute on sunday anxiously awaiting your splits. awesome job. great execution. so so proud of you!

Running and living said...

Yay, I was wondering when you are going to post, so glad you did! I am so happy that you are happy with your race. I tracked you and was so happy that you passed so many women on the run. And your placement is awesome! Isn't this like a 50 min PR or something like that?CAN'T WAIT for your other 9 parts - I think you should write them on your iphone rather then keep us all waiting. It can't take longer than an ironman!

GoBigGreen said...

Yeah:) Rest up, we can wait:)

Swimming for ME said...

You are something else all right. Those are AMAZING stats. Of course I was so excited to see the swim start and just imagine you there battling for your little piece of surf. I am so proud of you and can't wait to hear all the rest of your tales (even if -- or perhaps especially if -- they include farts and hurling). xxoo

Regina said...

I knew all your times since I hounded you like a dog on race day! I was so thrilled for you. I wondered what happened right at the end of your run; I see now! I can't wait to read your RR in it's many chapters. Hope you are resting on your laurels! Well done!!!!

donna furse said...

I'm so impressed with your performance on so many levels, I can't wait to chat with you. Congrats my friend and recover, you so deserve it.

runningyankee said...

wow. phenomenal dayout there. really impressive. take it easy and enjoy the lake!

David said...

WOOOOOO!!! So happy right now. Partly because you deserve such an awesome result, and partly because I was worried that the 'Mary' I was tracking was a totally different person :)

Excited to read the details! Though I may stop reading at mile 25 of the run :)

JBM said...

holy crap girl, unreal. Congrats!

Michelle Simmons said...

Congrats! We had fun tracking you while we were in TEX-ASS. ;)

Amanda said...

TRULY AWESOME!!Can't wait to read the rest

Sarah Woulfin said...

Huuuuuuge congrats!! You're a total rockstar!! Hope you're celebrating up a storm :)

Michelle said...

Congratulations! I would LOVE to have a swim like that! Looking forward to reading the rest of your race reports.

MaineSport said...

Amazing bike split for keeping it under control. Overall...wow!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to read the gory details. That sure is a lot of time you dropped, must feel really damn good (once the puking subsided). It got me thinking that I have no idea whether you are supposed to hold back on the bike at all for a half iron. Is the optimal long distance race strategy affected by whether you are a stronger runner versus biker?

Velma said...

Way to rock it - you kept it together in tough conditions. Many would have given up. Enjoy the rest.

Kurt P. said...

nice work MHW! would love to hear about this bike pacing strategy, thing. sounds interesting.

LDub said...

you are a CHAMP!!! i can't believe how tough you are!

I've got a lot to learn.

can't wait to read the rest of the report.

John said...

Congrats Mary! You ran a smart race exactly how you wanted to!

trailmomma said...

I can't wait to read the full race report! I am so very impressed. You kicked butt. Congrats! Now recover well!

Nitsirk said...

Holy Cow! Way to leave it all on the course (and in the med tent!). Your determination and drive are inspirational. Congrats on a great race.

mjcaron said...

So proud of you girl!! Huge PR!!