Thursday, June 17, 2010

Taper

I started taper this week. Taper makes me feel helplesssssss. I know that many of you are like me--which is to say obesseive and compuslive and addicted to the knowledge that you just went out and worked out for five hours so you are definitely getting it done.

Taper makes me feel like I'm getting nothing done. This is ironic since I have actually gotten an enormous amount done since taper began. I've done things like hung pictures, paid bills, sorted my closet and my drawer(s) that contain my workout garb, replaced ink cartridges, written thank you notes and obsessed over my AG competition at CDA, and updated my athlete schedules until after I get home form Idaho. You know, important stuff. I also sent Mrs. Z away. She's on route to CDA. I think that means I'm actually going to go there, and I'm actually going to race.

My training and taper for CDA have been different than they were for LP.

How? Oh, I don't know. The actually weren't that different. They just feel different. I have the same fabulous coach, and she is training me in a similar way as she did last time.

My training for LP was done in the midst of a rather massive mid-life crisis, while I was still working. I got down to race weight for LP because I got sick, and was also in ummm-- turmoil.  Despite this, my training volume was actually higher than my volume for CDA. My CDA training involved more long riding, but fewer total hours.

During taper for LP I had a UTI which I didn't actually know about until it became full-blown during the race. (very special.) I never felt good when tapering for LP. I was taking Ibuprofen every day to keep a slight fever down and I just felt tired and grumpy. I remember I kept emailing Ange and complaining that I needed taper.. I just ached to do less than I was doing.

This time taper feels different. I feel like I am finally feeling a bit rested--which is, I think, what I'm supposed to feel. My times in swimming and biking have shot back up this week to where they normally are. For awhile there I wondered if I would ever swim faster than 1:25 pace or run faster than 8:30s ever again. What a freaking relief to go out there and swim and run well! (or well for me.)
I'm thinking this is all good. Still, you never know.

Another thing I feel good about is that I have A PLAN.
It's not a sort of plan, it's a PLAN.

The gist is:

Just swim. Don't loaf, but don't KILL IT. Try to get clean water. Don't panic and don't go hypoxic.

The bike. KP the master power man talked to me last weekend (thank you, btw) and helped me to understand how I need to ride the bike using the meter. I already knew how I needed to ride the bike, but he talked me through it in a way that was CONCRETE. There is the old don't go too hard idea -- which is all well and good but what the fuck does it really mean? How hard is too hard? I am competitive and impatient, and nothing is too hard in my mind if I want to pass the chick with the 40 on her leg.

So we talked ranges in terms of power. This is the range for downhill, this is the range for flats, this is the range for hills, and most importantly, this is your superthreshold number which you should do everything you can to NOT HIT.

Okay. I get it. I ran the bike plan past Jen, and she said GOOD. Exactly. We have always talked about it in terms of not spiking the hr (because until now I only had hr to work with, of course.) This works except that there is such a lag in the reporting of hr that it makes it easy to just blow it off when climbing a hill or passing. Oh! No problem! I'm still in zone 2 (when 10 seconds later it registers that you are, in fact, in zone 4).

The run. My plan is to run it. My plan is to not walk the water stops--to not walk at all. It won't be smoking fast. I get that now. I did LP and I understand how the marathon is NOT LIKE a marathon. It's a different beast. You go slowly--much more slowly than you can in real life running. My plan is to keep a pace that allows me to run approximately 30 minutes slower than my marathon PR. If I can do that, I will officially consider myself a GODDESS. I have nothing against a little walk except that I know what happens when I walk when I am that fucked up tired. It HURTS to start running again. It hurts more than just continuing to run. So I'm going to just keep running until I keel over. Hopefully I will reach the finish line before that happens. The goal for this race is to run the second half of the marathon. That is really, in the end, what I need and what I want and my biggest biggest goal.

I also have a fueling plan, but that's even more boring to detail. It involves eating and drinking 220-240 calories an hour and taking salt tabs. UUEUE!

I know I'm boring right now, but forgive me. I am laser focused on getting this fucker done.

16 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

Awesome! Can't wait to cheer you on! Your experience at Lake Placid should help you tremendously next weekend. Keep your patience and don't worry about passing those women with 40 on their calves until you get to the run. :)

Running and living said...

This is NOT boring, this is so helpful. Do you read Gordo's Endurance Corner site? Someone over there had a 2 part post about using power and heart rate when approaches various courses (flat cs hilly vs super hilly). Check it out, it is really good.
I am glad you are feeling well, healthy, rested, speedy!

Ange said...

and you will. no doubt get it done and done well. uueeuueeuu..
cracks me up that that has reemerged as you almost turn 40.

MaineSport said...

You have this figured out. With Jen and that other guy, you have all of the details nailed. It all comes down to executing those details on the day. You'll nail it.

Regina said...

Full ironman, I know nothing of and I've only just popped my HIM cherry. However, it sounds like you do have a definite and solid plan. I have no doubt you will do great. Good luck and rock it out!

Judi said...

jeesss...where did the time go? seriously, it seems like just yesterday you were signing up. good luck mary. you are ready. you have worked all year to be in this state of extreme fitness. :) you will be great and are already a goddess IMO. i cannot wait to sign up for IMKY 2011. cannot wait. want to come with?

Unknown said...

Good luck! I love detailed posts like this - not boring at all. Can't wait to see how you do, Mary.

mjcaron said...

I love your plan. You are going to do exactly this plan. I feel it!!

LDub said...

you are ready.

i am glad i will not have a 40 on my calf, b/c i would be dead meat.

i love taper differently than you though, maybe ill make a post eventually.

keep to the plan - and check out the weather forecast....NO RAIN PLEASE!

Anonymous said...

i love the focus...it's pretty awesome to hear about your tacticalapproach toyour race execution. Enjoy that taper....clean water...Imma have to remember that on monday during my swim session...

GoBigGreen said...

Ha! Glad I age up next year:) you are so ready and you WILL have a fantastic race!

Kurt P. said...

i love race plans.

good luck next weekend.

Swimming for ME said...

Now you just need a few catchy tunes to sing as you run your way to the finish line. No Whitesnake for you?But as tempting as that is...No singing whilst you ride! -- keep your focus. I know you will hammer this race into oblivion!

Swimming for ME said...

Now you just need a few catchy tunes to sing as you run your way to the finish line. No Whitesnake for you?But as tempting as that is...No singing whilst you ride! -- keep your focus. I know you will hammer this race into oblivion!

Bob Almighty said...

Taper already man, I really am slacking off. Good luck at CDA it looks like you have a solid battle plan and are going to rock this beast.

kerrie said...

i'm finally just catching up on lot of blog reading....so first of all"happy birthday!!!!!", i hit 40 next year and i can hardly wait :). you are going to have a great race at CDA....you are so prepared. just remember that the water is going to be super f*cking cold, and that really sucks, if you have a neoprene cap, i'd wear it. as for the bike course, if you choose to ignore your hr monitor/power thing, just remember to sit and spin up ALL of the short steep hills....i've done the course twice now and i can't tell you how many really fit looking guys i fly by on the run who have obviously biked too hard. as for the run, whatever you do, DON"T walk, no matter what....not even through the aid station cause it uses different muscles and the two longish downhill sections on the course will mess with your quads a lot(which makes any walking an even worse idea....)
have a great one! i will be following online!