Monday, October 18, 2010

Take It

I'm sure this will go down in history as one of my SHE IS A SELFISH MOTHER posts.

Oh well.

I think we learned from our mothers. Our mother did it all. At least my mom did. By watching her I learned that it was the mother's job to cook, clean, do laundry, be waiting at the bus stop, drive the kids to lessons.

What I didn't see is the background details that made up the responsibility of being Mom. If you are a mother you know what I am talking about... you know when the last time your kids visited the dentist was, you know when you need to write the check for piano lessons, you know where the soccer shirt is, and you are the one who made sure it was cleaned in time for the game, you know how many times your kids have bought lunch this week, and you know how much money is still left in their lunch money account with the school, you planned the bday party, you know who has RSVP'd and who hasn't, you know whether you have enough plastic spoons for the week to put in your kids' lunch boxes when they have yogurt for snack, you know when the dogs need their heartworm tablets and you know if you son needs new underwear because his are all clearly too small now, even though you just bought him 15 pair last spring. You know the size of your kids' feet, and you know how much kibble your puppies need to eat each day because you know to keep abreast of how their weight changes from week to week. You know where you daughter's favorite navy shirt is, and that it is in the washing machine so NO she can't wear it today. You know to the minute the time the bus comes, and that if you don't make your children put on their shoes and socks fifteen minutes before that time, you won't be able to find shoes, and they will miss the bus.

That is, of course, just a partial list of things the mom knows, and it is specific to having children who are 9,7 and 5.  if you are a mom who also works outside of the home, or if you are a mom of an infant or toddler, the list is exponentially longer.

The thing to know is that these things are the mom's responsibility for the most part simply because she is the one who knows to do them. She has to know to do them. No one else will do them for her, and if she doesn't do them it is her kids--the thing that means more to her than anything in the world--that suffer.

I realize this is a generalization to a say that it is only moms who know these things, and this isn't a post meant to attack or accuse dads. Dads have a running list of things they know that mom doesn't... and if a dad is a single dad, he has both the mom and the dad list in his head.  No, I don't mean to attack.

What I mean to do is to say this: a mother's responsibility extends to herself.

You have to take what you need.

You are not going to be given what you need. No one is going to recognize that you need a run today, and they will not accommodate your need to run--unless you make them. Unless you push. Unless you say, This is what I need to do today. How can we make this work? And if there is no one to help you make it work, how are you going to get what you need anyway? How are you going to re-structure your life so that you can take what you need? Because if you don't find a way to take it--you won't get it. It's not fair, but that is the way it is.

I didn't know this when I first became a mom. It took me years to let go of the bitterness that no one gave a crap that I could no longer do what I wanted to do when I wanted or needed to do--ever. I had to become pushy. I had to become a person who took and did not always give. I had to choose to be "selfish", or there would be no self left to be selfish with.

In short, it does not pay to be a martyr. It does not pay to be the one who does it all. No one is going to give you a medal for all that you've done--all that you've remembered--all the YOU that you sacrificed along the way. I'm not saying not to do all that you do. You have to do all that you do. I know that, and you know that. But it is your responsibility to also take what you need.

I know what I am saying seems impossible to do.
Except it's not.
There is always a way around the edge to squeeze in what you need, but it requires your un-yielding "selfishness" to pull it off. It is your responsibility as a mom to find ways to be selfish.

You go. You take it. I give you permission.

16 comments:

Ange said...

you just described so much of my life. I have struggled lately with the fact that it is just me that remembers all those things....does all those things... knows that those things even happen! we definately deserve to go for a run every now and then!! or you know, every day. :)

Running and living said...

I knew right from the start that I could not do for my child what my mom did for me, and honestly I did not want to do it nor I thought it necessary. I think many women get pushed into the "it is all about the kids" role, but I also think other women have a caretaker personality and strive by caring for their kids (as the only life goal). I am very open with the fact that I am selfish. We start the day over here with "when are you working out today", and same for Chris. I have zero guilt about being out running, or going out, or taking time for myself. It is for this reason that I never really relate well to other moms and it makes for awkwardness at times. But I know what works for me and my family. And I consider myself a pretty darn good mom:)

So, I thought of you while running Baystate this weekend:)

Velma said...

THANK YOU!!! I could not agree more. When mom is happy, everyone is more happy. This helps out everyone.

Emilie said...

You wrote this post just for me! How did you know all of that about my life?

Thanks for this.

Nitsirk said...

Well said. I think our generation is unique because our moms were not "selfish." Our dads worked and moms did everything else. We are breaking new ground and hopefully setting a good example for our children on how to balance being a parent, a professional, and having a life. I still struggle with mom guilt but I know that I need "me time" in order to keep doing everything else well. If that means store-bought snacks for the school Halloween party I am ok with it. I bought his costume too. Yesterday I went for a long run while my neighbor was slogging over her sewing machine. Who is happier today? :)

I hope it won't be such a struggle for the next generation of moms (and dads).

donna furse said...

Everything you said is sooooooo true, on so many levels. I guess what gets me the most about being the Mom that has to know everything is that I think I've made my husband stupid or lazy, he doesn't know anything when it comes to the kids, god forbid they get a fever and I'm out or trying to find a soccer shirt. I'm all about being selfish and doing what I need to do but man, there is a cost to it on the other end sometimes.

Annie Crow said...

Oh, absolutely. Thanks for writing about this so well.

Jon said...

Calling my mom right now and thanking her for her sacrifice to me and my 3 other siblings...

rungirl said...

I agree. I always thought my training was not only a great example to my kids but made me a better person.... and a better mom. Even though I gave up some time with my kids they were always so proud of what I did/still do.

Regina said...

Amen and Hallelujah! I function better as a mom since I started taking it.

Adrienne said...

Mary, when I read posts like this, I start to realize that I can tackle motherhood while still staying me

Jennifer Harrison said...

I have to laugh...I think we moms are enablers to our husbands...I mean, I am gone here and there frequently, Jerome is a saint..but at the end of the day, I sure as hell make his life easier by telling him in detail what is going on...prepping him for 4 soccer games on the weekend 2 hours away - or whatever it is....Really, the guys have NO NO Idea what we do. I know Jerome is grateful, but man o man!! And, our kids don't care who is home to put them to bed..you know what I mean? We do our fair share together and separately...

But, I do not feel too guilty about the "ME" time...I did when they were 2 and I trained for the IM....I didn't feel guilty but it started to wear on me a bit...each year it GETS harder and harder. ANd, I thought it would be easier as they got older. NOPE - worse. I think the easier years were when they were toddlers.

Aimee said...

This post is spot on! Thank you for writing it!

Unknown said...

You totally just described my life. I am super lucky that i have 2 great kids, a husband, and i work full time. My husband is amazing! He actually will push me out the door to get workouts in. BUT, I have finally realized this is what I love and now make sure that I get "my time" since everyone automatically gets theirs. LOVE this post!

Unknown said...

AMEN!!! You preach it!!! SCream it from the mountain tops! This needs to be heard.

Kathy said...

I haven't read your blog before today, but I loved this post.