Tuesday, November 23, 2010

All Better

Yesterday I visited Dr. Uma.
Dr. Uma is a hematologist.

I have been looking forward to this appointment, and also fearing it, since it was set up five weeks ago. I never suspected that my blood counts would be off when it was revealed that they were. I never expected once they were revealed to be off that things might not immediately right themselves. Likewise, when I went to see Dr. Uma yesterday I didn't expect things to not be corrected. After all, it's been close to 10 weeks now that I have been resting. However, lurking inside my brain was the knowledge that this was my third doctor's appointment dealing with my poor blood counts.What would I do and how would I feel if things STILL weren't back to normal?

The nurse took my blood. A resident asked me tons of questions. Then Dr. Uma appeared to tell me that everything looked just fine. My low WBC was likely not caused by over-training. I simply had a bad viral illness and my WBC had dropped as a result.  It is normal for it to take 8-10 weeks for the body to fully recover from a very bad viral illness, she said. But now my WBC was fine, my RBC was fine, my iron stores were fine, my hemoglobin and hematocrit were fine. I was free to go and free to train. I think Dr. Uma was surprised at how thrilled I was with this news. There is nothing wrong with me! IMLP -- here I come!

In hindsight the worry about my low WBC was helpful to me. Most of you knew even more than I did how tired and burned out I was by the end of this season. I needed a longer break than the three weeks I originally allowed myself, and I was forced to take longer--forced to slow down. That is good.  In my desperation to stay active during those long weeks I walked and jogged slow miles with my dogs in the woods. I also took up hot studio power yoga. (Thanks, Linda!) I've now attended five yoga classes in the last two weeks. I didn't know that yoga was missing from my life. Now I feel relieved that I no longer have to go without it.

I also feel less urgency. Stopping allowed me to contemplate other things that I have not exactly shelved, but casually neglected for a long time. Realizing my neglect felt both good and sad. It saddened me to realize how far adrift I had become from my other loves--gardening, walking in the woods, reading and writing. Triathlon requires a singular focus, and it was all I could do to maintain that focus and still be genuinely present for my kids and Andy.

The hard part now will be to integrate what I gained in the last 10 weeks into a more intense workout schedule. At first I thought to just add on... to ask myself to commit more hours per week with the addition of trail jogs with the puppies and yoga classes.

But I don't think I will do that.
I think I'm going to try to stay chill; try to accept that I may not be able to give triathlon such singular focus ever again. This may mean that I won't achieve certain goals I have set out for myself--like qualifying for Kona or ranking in top few percent of my AG nationally. Or, maybe, this is the attitude I need to achieve those goals... which is to say, the attitude of letting go of them.

I don't know.

14 comments:

Emilie said...

phew! I personally (having just had a little scare with my son) think that having a health concern once in a while is really good for making us pay attention to ourselves and then appreciating our health. Kind of puts everything else into perspective. Glad you got the green light!

Running and living said...

YES, this is great for you Mary! The challenge is going to be to be able to stick with this newfound wisdom, because it is so easy to let triathlon take over. I struggle with that every single day.
SO happy the health concerns are behind!!!!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Glad to hear that everything is back to normal!

Caratunk Girl said...

Good news, what a relief!!

Annie Crow said...

I am glad to hear you're well. Also thankful for your post, I've had a similar experience recently (of downtime in training allowing other things to come back into my life - and now struggling to see how I should reshift my priorities - mourning all around, I think). Just good to read others' experience with that sort of thing.

GoBigGreen said...

Glad your blood counts are back to normal. Have a great thanksgiving Mary, lots to be thankful for outside of the Tri world.

Robin said...

Great news on the health front! I have struggled with the rest of those questions this year as well. I ended with a great season but asking myself if it was worth it to really pursue those hardcore goals. Lots of things have to fall by the wayside. I will be interested to see how your journey continues.

donna furse said...

So glad for you. Big hugs.

Aimee said...

Yay! I'm glad everything turned out o-kay!

Swimming for ME said...

back to kicking ass I guess.
looking forward to seeing you at BU!
xxoo

dawn said...

We are ALWAYS learning....even when we don't know at the time what we are supposed to be learning. Most of the time, the lessons are deep inside whispering quietly - so quietly to us. And then all we need is someone to turn the volume up.

So glad you are okay.

MaineSport said...

"The hard part now will be to integrate what I gained in the last 10 weeks into a more intense workout schedule."....you're right.
Only one suggestion here- really think about what you're going through and incorporate into your coaching. Something about helping your athletes have a wholesome approach to training. I bet it's a big issue- that isn't talked about- that you could capitalize on.
I'm glad you're OK. Happy Thaksgiving!

Chad Davis said...

I am so happy that "Now you know.".

I am so relieved for you.

Adrienne said...

I am glad that you received good news! And, I love the line about not knowing that you missed yoga.... I just love hot yoga