Sunday, November 7, 2010

Distract Me

Nothing interferes with my concentration.  You could put on an orgy in my office and I wouldn't look up.  Well, maybe once.  ~Isaac Asimov

I have intense concentration when I am in pursuit. My pursuits are not always noble, sometimes slightly nonsensical, and almost always based on obtaining something. I enjoy the process of going after so much that I have an incredibly hard time being at peace when I'm not actively going for something or trying to get something. I continue to pursue until I get bored with whatever I am pursuing--but I never give up a pursuit simply because it has eluded me.

And I'm not bored with triathlon. There is still more marrow to suck from it.

But speaking of marrow, I have been slightly derailed here. (Sorry, I seem to be mixing metaphors all over the place today.) The truth is I have been given no restrictions on training; my doctor has given me the green light to continue as I see fit, as long as I cool it if I feel even a twinge of real fatigue or sickness coming on. Nevertheless, there was an orgy set up in my office, and I simply couldn't not look. I couldn't not look at the fact that maybe my intense drive was interfering with my health, and that I'd best not be a dumb fuck if I want to continue with this triathlon game. I aim to get what I want out of triathlon, but she is proving to be a wily one--temperamental about what is enough rest, and what is enough training--and what is the correct balance of both. You can't just go after her with a drive that won't quit and get what you want. You have to play the game her way--which is slightly annoying. But even if I can't go after triathlon with only will and a hammer, that doesn't mean I still can't win.

I thrive on complicated challenges. She hasn't won yet. I'm still in this game.

Sometimes if you really want something the best thing to do is to ignore it for a bit. The more you ignore, the more power you obtain, until the thing you desire actually starts to come to you instead of the other way around. But it's a waiting game, and it takes total confidence. I realize if I want to win this game I have to back off and wait for it to come to me. 

So what does that look like?

It means that while I watch those around me getting revved up for IMLP already--running and swimming and biking like the race is coming in three months, not eight, I need to chill out. I need to bide my time. I need to turn my attention elsewhere, and then when the time is right, triathlon will tip-toe up to me, tap on my shoulder, and admit she misses me and is willing to play hard again.

Until then, I need other challenges to hold my attention.  
So, for November, here they are:

1. I will read at least one book every 48 hours for the next month.
2. I will write about every tri/running/swimming book I can remember reading on my Reading It blog before 11/30/10.
3. I will read with my kids every single day until Christmas.
4. I will walk my puppies one and a half hours a day. (Actually, that is a goal I have long term. They need it. I need it. It is essential.)

Today the family came for the walk. Because I think my kids and puppies are so damn cute, I leave you with a few pictures.
Hazel is winning the race.
Playing Chase
Climbing Rocks
 Hazel obeying STAY. (I think she's a little pissed, though.)
Bow down to me, the almighty Ernie.
_________________________
Those are the distract me goals for November--and actually most of December, too.
And at the New Year? I'll Be Back, Baby. I'll be Back.


9 comments:

Running and living said...

Love this! I am the same way, always chasing something, loving the chase and thriving on the chase. Triathlon will come back (though I don't think it ever left) and you'll train hard when the time is right and the competition will be burned out:) You are going to have an amazing year. In the meantime, enjoy the lovely distractions. I am v excited about your tri book reviews:)

donna furse said...

Those dogs and kids are just so darn cute. Keep listening to your body Mary your fitness will not leave you and you'll only come back fitter and more mentally strong then ever. Keep up the good work.

Swimming for ME said...

SWIM MEET! SWIM MEET! SWIM MEET!

And spa day.

(Swimming doesn't count, right?)

Swimming for ME said...

Scrabble?

GetBackJoJo said...

And you know how I feel about Scrabble, Bean. Really. That game requires entirely too much in the way of patience...

Swimming for ME said...

more tattoos?

GetBackJoJo said...

HMMM...now there's an idea... to go along with my becoming Salander obsession!

Judi said...

love the puppy pictures. put the baking shit away before you have some dead puppies mary! :(

mjcaron said...

Wow, the dogs have already changed so much. And, the kids are so big! Happy Noviembre :).