Friday, September 18, 2009

How I Train.

Someone actually wants to know how I train! Although I'm suspicious. Nega-Coach, is that you? Is this a trick? Also, it could be Mike (not Gilio), and not Nega-Coach. If it is Mike, please know that I really liked talking with you at the workshop, and I think you're smart and funny, and not abrasive at all, and my ranting was/is not directed at you AT ALL. And thank you for talking with me about the Nike Free shoes, too.
AND if this is just some David I have never met, which you most likely are, then hi!

First, before I get into the beauty of how I train (or how Jen trains me, I should say) I need to mention that
I get to race tomorrow! Andy and I are racing the Lobsterman Olympic in Freeport, Maine. Then, on Sunday, I'm in a relay for the Dover Sprint. I'm doing the swim. It's like 500 meters, I think. What could be better than that? Then I get to watch Jay and Mike, my relay teammates, suffer. Should be fun!

My goal is to work so hard in this race that I come close to puking at the end. That will be success. And not to be a chicken on the bike, that's another goal--both on descents and corners, and around pacing.

So onto training. Naturally I could go on and on about this, and the question is how specific to get. I will start with the general:

My fav. triathlon book on training is Joe Friel's Going Long. Lots of my early understanding on training for long course triathlon comes from him.

Before I get into each discipline I will start by saying that I believe in nonlinear periodization. Periodization is considered nonlinear when it mixes together all of the training types (aerobic, anaerobic, muscle-training, speed, strength and power), throughout each training cycle, and changes in emphasis are not extreme. I find that most triathletes are taught to train, and do train linearly--that is, each phase of training is distinct from the others in terms of what type of training is emphasized or de-emphasized. I believe it's important not to allow any one part of your training fall behind the others, because each type of training is inter-dependent. Should any one aspect of your training by side-lined because of the phase of training you are in, you risk that aspect becoming a limiter to your other aspects of fitness. (This thinking is taken directly from Brad Hudson's Run Faster.)

In my case, neuromuscular fitness is a limiter in the swim, bike and run. I have learned over the years that my endurance/aerobic fitness is quite strong. I can build it quickly and it stays with me. I'm lucky that way. However, neuromuscular fitness, for me, is a limiter. My body loves long, slow miles, and it takes a great deal of focus and practice to get my body to learn and retain speed, strength and power since my body wants to be programmed to run long and slow. For this reason, the long, slow base training followed by a short period of sharpening does not work for me. I need consistent, steady focus on neuromuscular adaptations to race well.

Swim:
I usually do three swim workouts of about an hour/3000 or so yards each week. During base training and peak IM training some of those swims get longer and can be up to 4000+ yards. Each workout has some intensity--though the amount and length of intensity varies depending on what period I'm in and what I'm training for. In the winter I often do a few meets, and my training at those times is geared toward swimming faster in the pool (as opposed to the strength/endurance needed to swim long in OW). My favorite workouts involve a lot of IM (individual medley--fly, back, breast, free). In base or peak training I top out at about 11-11,500 yards a week.

I do three-four rides each week, with one, sometimes two of the rides involving intensity, and one ride longer than the others. The other two rides are usually recovery or medium effort rides. Usually the long ride is a brick--that is, followed by a short (under an hour) run. At times there are race-intensity efforts of 5-15 minutes followed by short recoveries interspersed in these long rides. The intensity workout varies according to the period of training I'm in, and also what I am training for. It often involves repitions of high zone 3/low zone 4 efforts (heart rate) for 10 minutes followed by several minutes of recovery. The long rides are between 2-6+ hours, the longer ones occurring in the base phase and during IM peak training. My highest volume week so far has been about 230 miles. I have a long way to go on the bike, I know.

Run
I am a fan of Jack Daniels, Brad Hudson and Matt Fitzgerald. I have read all of what each has written (Daniels (Jack Daniels' Running Formula) and Hudson(Run Faster) each have one dominant book. Fitzgerald has a few, but I like his Brain Training for Runners the best. As a triathlete I can only run 4 times a week, though recently that has increased to 5 days because I am also training for a marathon. Two of those runs are recovery runs or medium-effort runs. One run involves intensity, frequently fartlek, sometimes tempo, sometimes intervals (usually longer ones) on the track. I also do one long run, which usually involves some slightly faster than race pace running when I am close to a specific race. My mileage caps at about 50-55 miles per week, but most of the time I hover between 35-40. I've never run more than 60 miles a week in my life. I find it's impossible to do when you are also focusing on the other disciplines. Additionally, I'm not sure it's necessary, given that I do so much work on the swim and bike to build aerobic endurance.

This is a very typical type of schedule. Nothing too novel. Where I differ from some is in my belief (like Hudson) that all systems should be a part of each training cycle.

I also differ from others in the per mile pace of recovery, medium-intensity, and long runs. I prefer to train by heart rate, which I guess is actually not uncommon. At the workshop I was at this weekend they recommend running a good 3 minutes slower for my long runs than my marathon pace. That's 10:35 miles for me--and I find the thought of running that slowly absolutely ridiculous. During a recovery run, I try to keep my heart rate in zone 1 only. This is very slow running for me, but still not as slow as was recommended. It usually translates to a 9:00-9:10 pace. For a regular, moderate run, for warm-ups and cool-downs, and for long runs, I hover in mid-zone 2,which for me is between 8:30-8:10 pace usually. For long runs, however, I often pick up the pace progressively as the run continues, starting at 9:00 pace or so and finishing according to Jen's instructions--usually around 7:30 pace. This type of running goes against what many coaches recommend--as it combines two types of hard-workouts, namely the long run and some tempo running. I should also say that as a race draws near, I often slip in pace miles and pick-ups all over the place--just to get the body snappy and ready to move.

I often follow the hard/easy protocol, but not always. Long course triathletes must do a lot of their racing in a fatigued state, so it makes sense that some training should be done when not fresh. My long brick is often followed the next day by a long run, for example.

I also race more frequently then many coaches recommend. I believe frequent racing keeps me in touch with the feeling of race-intensity pain, which is very hard to create in training. It also functions as a way to do race pace work. When training for Boston several years ago I did a long race roughly every other weekend, and alternated racing with long, easy runs. The effect was that I built endurance, but also got my body used to the pace I planned to run at Boston. It worked. And it was really fun.

Some people break down more easily than others. I have noticed that I can really pick up my hours/miles per week for several weeks, and then I just will suddenly shut down, first physically, then, soon after, emotionally. Often I don't see it coming. I'll have a few great workouts in a row and then I'll crash. I have learned to listen to my body, and when it shuts down, even if I can't figure out WHY it's shutting down, I back off. I hate to admit when I can't handle a workload, but as I get older I have become more careful. I've only be seriously injured once, with a bad bout of Achilles tendinitis, and my plan is to not let that happen to me again.

Finally, I do some lift and I do do functional exercises and core exercises, but not as frequently as I should. I don't stretch often, and I never do Yoga or Pilates, although I would if I had more time. I believe my weaknesses are primarily on the bike. I need help technically--as in pedal efficiency, cornering, getting on and off the bike quickly and smoothly, and I need work on increasing my power. Although I hate to admit it, I think that these two things will come if I do base work this winter and get my mileage up. My swim and run weekly mileage are higher comparatively to my bike.

I'm sorry if this was really boring to you. Actually, if it was boring you would've stopped reading by now, so who cares. I'm not sorry. I had fun thinking about it. Thanks, for asking David! Hopefully at least you read to the end!

There is no reason for this picture. I just like it.

15 comments:

robinbb said...

I wasn't bored, but did learn from this post. When did you start training for triathlons? Did you run marathons first or were triathlons first?

Running and living said...

It's funny, but this is a lot of how I train, too (except the kick ass swimming and biking, which I am slowly getting the hang off - talk about being a chicken on downhills and corners...that is ME). I don't do as much racing, but I think I am going to do all the prep races for Boston this year. I use a plan based on FIRST (track, tempo, long runs progressively faster), but I typically end all workouts faster than prescribed. I really love going all out in training (or close to it), hence my puking often at the track, and I have a hard time restraining myself from going fast. Keep these posts up, there is lots of learning to be done through them.
P.S. I am reading the newest Matt F running book and he talks a lot about individualized training, rather than blindly following a program.

Nitsirk said...

I'll be at Lobsterman too. Doing the swim leg in a relay. I'll look for you. I'll be the one in the relay wave crammed into an almost too small wetsuit trying to remember that I was once a kick ass swimmer :) Try to not swim over me :)

Michelle Simmons said...

Wow... So much of his sounds REALLY familiar!

I was telling my training partner this morning that what has really worked for me his year has been switching things up all the time. Rarely doing the same workout over again. 30 sec sprints and 3 min sprints and 1 min sprints and 10 min hard efforts all mixed it at different times. Tricking my body and not letting it fall into a rut at all. Good stuff.

David said...

Thank you for the post. This added the nuance and perspective I was looking for. As I have encountered in many disparate circumstances, codification of philosophies with subtle components and interactions rarely succeeds. Individual training is simply a "must have". It is good to see that your criticism is based on deeper thinking and experience. Thanks for sharing.

Just some David you've never met.

Ted said...

Nice photo. Colorful. I think you ought spend more time at 10:35 pace; maybe look at some linear periodization. ;)

solobreak said...

Hey thanks for the linkage and good luck at the oly today. It wasn't me though, I don't go by David.

I use the furman plans as guidelines for running. They are 3 day/week all "quality" and have worked well for me. I substitute hills for the track work at least half the time. On the bike I do a lot of easy hours, but a lot of quality and racing too.

I think you get it for seasoned athletes like you who are driven to really excel. I wonder though if the "I just want to finish" iron-distance beginners need the fast pace work so much. Going too hard at any point in the event is probably more detrimental for someone like that than going to slow would be, so I suspect many coaches would tailor their training plans as such.

Meredith said...

I found that fascinating. I am surprised how many miles you run per week, actually. Since I started working with Elizabeth my miles have actually gone down and my results have gotten better. But now that there is an IM in my future it's bike, bike, bike!!!

Regina said...

*mouth hanging open and realizing what a slacker I am*

Granted you are way ahead of me in terms of experience, but I still feel so lazy after reading this.

I can't even relate on an intellectual level to the thought process involved in your training. I've been reading some books on training, but you've given me more to investigate.

Keep on keeping on, you seem to be doing all the right stuff. Great photo, I agree.

mjcaron said...

Ok.. now I feel weely stupid. Me gonna weed..

mjcaron said...

Oh yes and good luck at Dover and Lobsterman. BTW if my run went as planned I would have been 2nd or 3rd in my AG..

Velma said...

This is fantastic. Amazon thanks you for your suggestions. I love this type of post - thanks! Good luck racing.

Kennyo said...

you seem to be the type of person thst msy be sble to help me?

Hey u mind popping over to my site and weighing in on a Question I have about a used bike to buy..
thanks kenny
www.apolicemanslife.com

Steve Stenzel said...

Your training is CRAZY, but I hear what you're saying with regards to nonlinear periodization. There are different thoughts to training, but this makes sense...

Oh, and nice appearance in Triathlete Mag!!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Of course....and I think I am in more of a shock reading people's responses to this....OF COURSE no ONE training plan is the right one for everyone...but if we don't challenge the body and most importantly, the mind, then how can we expect that the body and mind will "rise to the occasion" on race day? Training for an open marathon IS VERY different than a marathon in an IM...and now Mary you are training for an OPEN PR marathon so the running is VERY intense, as it needs to be..and you, luckily, respond very well to the intensity....some athletes do not....but there has to be some physical and mental stress in the training or else the body becomes more fit but not necessarily faster year after year. For beginners this is all quick and fast, but when you have been racing for years and years we only have so many layers of that onion to peel.

Good read!