Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Running Fast


I like to run hard. I like to run hard over long distances. I like to see how fast my body can go at different distances and in different conditions. I like to see how fast and hard my body can go compared to other people. I just like it. And that is one of the bigger reasons I run. What is fast to me is likely pathetically slow to many. And to some, my fast is super fast. But the point is, for me, it's enjoyable to push my limits. It's also enjoyable to figure out how I can get faster. I am not prejudiced against people who for run fun and fitness--who have no desire to go faster. I don't get them, but I was wrong to say I am prejudiced against them. Because I'm not. That was stupid. Sorry. However, I am prejudiced against people who believe that by running slowly (as in 2.5-3 minutes slower than one's marathon pace) for long distances almost all of the time, they will get faster, and they preach this approach like it's gospel. It's true one builds aerobic endurance by logging many, many miles, and to gain this endurance it is good to run conservatively so you can 1. run longer so that you can 2. build more endurance then you would if you had to put in fewer miles because of fatigue, and so 3. you can burn more of your fat than your available carbs and 4. to save oneself from the taxing nature of hard running so you can run again the next day and be consistent in your training and 5. so you can prevent injury and so 6. you can eventually run faster while maintaining a lower hear rate, and 7. you can chit chat comfortably with your friends while you run. I. Get. It. I also get that some people are able to get faster by building their aerobic engine to the point where they could literally run forever, and then they can add on a little pace running before a race and pull out a P.R. But I can't do that. I tried. And I know other people who have tried, and who can't do it either. I'm talking about this because I have pissed a few people off by saying I am prejudiced against people who just want to run for fun and fitness. I feel badly about that, because, as I stated before, it's not really how I feel. But I also want to clarify that the real beef I have is with people who advocate a certain way to train, and they act as if this is the only way, and any other way is for the impatient, the uniformed, and the cocky. I. am. informed. I repeat that. I am informed. I read a shitload about running. About triathlon. About swimming. (I admit I haven't read enough about biking, but I did just order six new books on biking and cyclocross from Amazon last night.) I read magazines, scholarly journals, I read books and blogs and tri/running websites and biographies. I read it all, basically because I'm a geek, but also because I like to be informed so I don't end up talking out of my ass about things when I haven't actually studied anything except for my own particular point-of-view. So, in short, I never meant to imply that I don't like slow runners, or runners who run, long slow distances. What I don't like is the high and mighty know-it-alls of the world who believe their way is the only way and treat you like you're an ignorant if you don't agree with them. That's what I don't like. Just to be clear. Here are a few articles for your enjoyment that go against the grain of what you may have been taught that I have found in the last few weeks. I'm not saying these articles are to live by or even to consider more than with just a passing glance, I just think they are interesting, and, importantly, they are CURRENT. That is, they have been written recently enough so that the research involved within is fresh. You can see I'm partial to articles written by Matt Fitzgerald. He is always just a step ahead, finding interesting tidbits that challenge common thinking about running, which is why I like his work so much. Pre-Race Breakfast Doesn't Matter Better to Go Barefoot Ibuprofen is Bad, Bad, Bad Running Makes You Smarter Cycling Bad for your Bones? Running Technique: Speed Work Can Help Eating Fat Ain't So Bad Don't Skip the Recovery Run

17 comments:

Kennyo said...

I'm new to the Triathlon world, I am a police officer that wants to get back in shape, and I have always admired Triathletes, Now I have put in motion my quest to do a triathlon and someday The Ironman at Kona....

Follow me if u like

http://apolicemanslife.com

KO

Velma said...

The last post didn't bother me. I want to run fast (for me at least). It is so tough to find the right balance between speed work and long runs - this is why we need more running coaches. Good work! It sounds like a lot of fun. I am a reading/running geek as well. I just got two running books and the Spirit of the Marathon (again) from the library. Have a great week!

Kim said...

:)

I LOVE Z3 :)

Running and living said...

Awesome, thanks for the articles. You know I agree with you. I think the run slow method should be aimed to beginers, who would get injured if they would try to go too fast. It also depends on a person's biological and psychological makeup. For me fast running builds confidence, so that I can go and push come race day. Fast running made me faster, going from a 2:06 first half less than 2 years ago, to a 1:39 now. I ran more mileage and slower for 10 years before that (for fitness) and my speed stayed the same...
P.S. People who read your blog and know you were not bothered by last post. It was funny, witty and...it was Mary!

Rebecca DeWire said...

I am 100% with you on the evils of ibuprofen. My own anecdotal experience is that ibuprofen caused me to develop acute pancreatitis (basically my pancreas was digesting itself) in a marathon. So nice job with spreading the word to avoid ibuprofen when racing and training!

Amanda said...

You know, I agree with you, but that's because speed work is MY experience in getting faster. I suppose there are other ways...

I was reading Tinley's article in Triathlete mag (probably a month or two old) yesterday and he said he thinks about how his kids grew up with athletic freaks as parents who, instead of going to the office go out for long bike rides and swims in the ocean with sharks and runs through the lava fields. For some reason, I thought of you and your kids. But totally in a good way. It's fun. And they like to immitate you. You're a great example.

Ange said...

:0)
knowledge is power.
I love to run fast too...

In A Fog said...

Thank you for this and thanks for the great articles, in particular the one on fats.:) You should realize you are super fast to not just "some" but to "many." Don't shortchange yourself!

solobreak said...

I am better at talking than I am at listening so I'm going to shut up and listen. But I wanted you to know that Nega-Coach is paying attention.
:o)

Regina said...

Hallelujah! I'm with you. I hate people who advocate that their way is the ONLY way to do anything, training or otherwise.

It happens I am a slooooooow runner, I just started running in February. I have aspirations to run faster...not sure about fast, but faster for sure.

I have read many of those article previously. It seems my friends are always sending me links to them.

fwiw, I wasn't offended by your slow runner statement.

Katie said...

I agree with Ana-Maria with regard to slower milers. It's probably well suited to beginners. My mother just started running a little over a year ago, and she's training for BatState. Most of her training is slogging through lots of slower miles, but she's improved quite a bit. My training has been running less distance, but faster. It really depends on the runner's circumstances. That's why there's a market for coaches. If everyone could train the same, then we wouldn't them. Thanks for the article links!

David said...

I'm a recent follower of your blog, so my comment my be off target. Apologies in advance.

I readily accept that there are multiple alternate paths to success - and not just for a population, but for an individual. I readily accept that people can become dogmatic too easily. What I'm missing here is this: what training technique/method/plan has worked well for you? Do you run as hard as you can every time you run? Do you build an aerobic base early in the "season" and focus on speed later? Knowing more about your personal training philosophy would help give me perspective on your criticisms (some of which I share) of "mainstream" training theory.

maria conley said...

Your blog is vrey educational. Love reading it. Every time I read your blog I always learn something new. See you Sunday@the Dover Farm pond.

jbmmommy said...

I think it's pretty much like life- there's no one answer for everyone about many things. People should do what works for them and not so much worry about others. Unless others ask for advice.

mjcaron said...

I like the idea about not eating before a race.

Anonymous said...

Bookmarked this. Show one's gratitude you for sharing. Positively benefit my time.

Anonymous said...

This is a superior article as they all are. I bring into the world been wondering wide this an eye to some measure now. Its gigantic to receive this info. You are reasonable and balanced.