Friday, November 19, 2010

Kicking Some Ass

 Your body was made for so much more than being looked at, deprived of food, and enjoyed by others. Your body was made for kicking some ass. -Gloria of Jezebul


On FB the other day, a few of my friends posted links to this article, posted on Jezebul.
Just about every sentence in this post rang with me. Many sentences also challenged me. It's those sentences--the ones which challenged me--that I want to write about.

For years now I have chafed at the responses I get from women when I mention my training and racing. I hear, "You are so good!" or "How do you find the time? You must have a very understanding husband!" or "Oh, you are so tiny! I would kill to be that small." I rarely hear comments like, "It's so cool that you are maximizing your body's potential, kicking some ass, and clearly having fun doing it."

The comments I receive are meant to be laudatory, I'm quite sure, but they miss entirely why I find the pursuit of triathlon so satisfying. The implication is that I work out so I can get good girl credits, get away from my children, and/or be skinnier than my 40 year-old mommy compatriots.  Swimming, biking and running couldn't possibly be activities I do each day because I want to celebrate my body and my life.  If I feel superior to some other women my age, it is not because I am thinner than they are; it's because I think I get something they don't get.
I get that my body was meant to kick ass.

I sound pretty realized, don't I?

Listen to me...
I don't work out to be thin... I work out to kick some ass. I don't work out to get away from the domestic bliss that is my life. I work out to kick some ass. I don't work out so that I can be good--more disciplined, more athletic, more worthy of respect and awe--than you. I don't.

Ummmmm. At least I think I don't.

Since I have been required to rest, I have gained some weight. Not a ton, but some. I know that this weight will go away when I begin to train again, and anyway, I know that I actually might look better now than I usually do--more full and rounded--possibly more sexy.

But, oh, wait, I don't care about that. Right? I don't care if I look fit or thin or sexy. I don't care if I wear a size 2 or 12, I don't care if I can strip down to a bikini and not feel self-conscious, or if I can fit into a tight pair of skinny jeans and boots at my age and not look like an ass--or, I should say, a fat ass.  I don't care about those things. Having a fit, toned body is only a bonus of doing triathlon, it is not my reason for doing it.  I really just want to kick some ass.

And I never yearn to get away from my children and on my own; away from the overwhelming and never-ending responsibility that comes from being a parent. I certainly don't use training as an excuse to leave Andy in charge. I don't ride my bike so that I can ride away; I don't run so I can escape. I don't.

At least I think I don't.

And I surely don't train so I can be more disciplined, more fit, more athletic, more worthy of awe and respect than you. I am above that. I don't need to feel superior to feel good about myself.

cough. sputter. choke.

Enjoying your own physical strength doesn't have to be viewed as subscribing to patriarchal notions of femininity.

Okay, does that mean it is okay to feel superior to those who I can beat on the race course? Does that qualify as enjoying my strength, or is it succumbing to my petty need to feel better, stronger, and faster than you? What exactly does it mean to enjoy one's physical strength? I love to race, I love to win, I love to dominate, I love to squeeze out of my body every ounce of its potential. Does this make me a person who enjoys my physical strength, or does this make me an insanely competitive, neurotic, Type A woman?  Can I be both?


As women, we're inundated every day with the idea that our bodies exist for other people- when we're catcalled on the street, when coworkers have entire conversations with our breasts rather than our faces, when we're groped on the subway. We're prudes if we don't let enough people access our bodies; sluts if we allow too many people to access our bodies.


I think it's safe to say I have never been labeled a prude. (Okay, you can stop chuckling now.) When I was a girl, though, I'm quite sure I was called a slut--if not to my face--then certainly in the boys' locker room behind my back. This has never seemed fair to me, although I'm quite sure the label earned me many dates with hopeful, horny high school boys.  At that time I think I very much believed that my body existed for others, and the interest I received from guys affirmed my self-worth. For some reason I didn't measure my worth by how smart I was, or how well-read, or how funny or nice. And I certainly didn't believe I was worthy just because... I was human.

Perhaps the idea that I measured my worth in terms of how "wanted" I was sounds extreme. Unfortunately, however, I think it is a pretty accurate description of my thinking when I was in high school and early college.

In high school I went out with a senior boy when I was sophomore. We were very serious, and I, at least, was monogamous, which for those who know me is definitely saying something. This boy was a swimmer, or an indoor track guy turned swimmer after an injury, and I was a swimmer too.

I remember having/receiving hickeys was the thing back then. Why, I have no idea. I guess they were marks that declared to the world that you were cool enough to be desired (if you were a girl) or gettin' some (if you were a boy). I remember I agreed to give hickeys to this boyfriend all over his body, including in between his thighs. He was ecstatic. It was clearly a badge of honor, and he displayed these hickeys with pride, which was easy for him to do since it was swim season.  The boys in the locker room saw them, of course, but also parents attending a swim meet that week, including both my mom and his parents (and, I will add, his father was my Physics teacher), teachers attending the meet saw them, and of course, other girls and boys saw them as he stood tall in his Speedo briefs, guffawing and slapping backs with the other kids on the team.

I am still friends with boys (now men) who were on that swim team. I am still friends with men who know that at fifteen, I was giving hickeys to inner thighs--just because I was asked to.  I must say, this is most unfortunate.

I mean really. What the fuck was I thinking?
And more importantly, why am I writing about this?

I guess I want to illustrate how deeply I believed that my body--that my whole person-- existed for others. Did I feel anything when I gave those hickeys? Was it pleasurable? What did I gain from it other than that everyone in our high school and extended community could see that I needed and wanted to be wanted--that being wanted was my sole measure of my worth--and that I would do anything to insure that others would continue to want me?

I have traveled many a mile since I was that age. Still, I continue to want people to want me; I still view people wanting me (at least in part) as a a measure of my worth. It is a constant battle not to feel that way.

My love of triathlon and what it awards me is not perfect. I rely on it to give me the body I want, the space I want, and the (untrue, but nevertheless present) feeling that I am superior to others who are sitting on the couch eating Fritos and lamenting their slovenly ways.

But triathlon has also helped me to move farther and farther away from the belief that my body exists not for me, but for you. It has allowed me to believe that my body was meant to kick ass--to kick ass for me--not you. It has allowed me to appreciate my body for what it does instead of chastising it for not looking the way society, and consequently me, believes it should look.  It has made me strong, and confident; it has allowed me to see food as wonderful and not the enemy, and it has shown me I can do things I never, ever thought I could do.

No, my love of triathlon is not perfect. It is tainted and impure, marred by needs that extend way back to my girlhood. But it is also amazing in what it has gifted me. And for that I am grateful.

20 comments:

Aimee said...

I loved this post. Unlike you however, I had (still have to some extent) and self-confidence problem. In high school and college I always wore baggy clothes to cover up my body. Even though everyone told me I had a great body, I never believed them.
For me, triathlon has helped me gain self-confidence. It has helped me love my body for what it is and the amazing things it can do. There are still days when I look in the mirror and wish I had bigger boobs, smaller thighs, and a small butt. BUT, my body allows me to KICK ASS in races and I am proud of what I have! :)

Relentless Forward Commotion said...

I love this post. LOVE it. Today someone asked me why I workout and I told them 'to get faster'. It used to be for those other things, it started as a way to lose weight and feel better about myself, but now I just want to be faster, faster faster. I love pushing my body to see what it can do.

But I won't lie, I totally run out of the house some days simply to escape the domestic..uhh bliss?...that is the toddler town I currently live in. It's overwhelming, and running grounds me. I have no shame in that, LOL!

Caratunk Girl said...

Mary, this rocks, it has me so fired up. It is so inspiring, I am so glad I have a run planned as soon as work is over so I can go kick some ass.

I think I learned the value of reaching your bodies potential over the years running and tri-ing. I started training to shed some weight, that was my goal then. I got so much more than weightloss out of endurance sports. Now I am not really concerned about weight or how I look - I want to get into the best shape I can so I can perform the best I can. Kick some ass the way my body was made to - I like that!

Running and living said...

I think most people look back at their HS years and say "what was I thinking". Our kids will do the same. It's part of growing up. For me, I wish I spent more time with boys than with books during HS:)
I get similar responses from people who hear about my running/triathlon. I don't expect them to understand, though some of the moms on my street probably think I am a little nuts.
For me, there is something amazing, freeing, like a high, about being strong and powerful, about competing in a race with clear rules, where you don't have to be nice and sweet and polite and pretty and delicate and all. Lots more to say, but I will stop!

John said...

Great post Mary! Your body allows you to kick ass, gives you confidence, and keeps you focused on being the best that you can be. Nothing wrong with that at all. P.S. Thanks for the flashback memory of the hickeys. :)

kT said...

Awesome, awesome post. Maybe some of us really ARE that pure and perfect, but for me (and probably for most of us) it's kind of liberating to acknowledge what I'm striving for and at the same time admitting I'm not always there. And such a relief to read it out of someone else's mouth/mind.

But seriously, what to say when someone says, "You're so skinny!" I mean, do they expect "Thank you?" Argh, such baggage.

Keith said...

One of the reasons I've come to love triathlon is that people of all shapes and sizes participate. I first thought one had to be an athlete, and hence, LOOK athletic to participate. That changed when I watched my first Ironman. Triathlon in general seems good at helping people overcome the pernicious messages that society says about what body shape we should have. Nobody can live up to that, not even the models and actors. Even their photos are airbrushed.

Even worse than the message about shapes, I'm really offended by the objectification of people in Hollywood movies. That isn't a person, it's a hero, or a villain, an object of lust, a sidekick, or whatever. The movies and TV are teaching people to react to other people as a simplistic cartoon of their real selves. It's high time we start seeing and recognizing other people for what they are, warts and all, and treating them accordingly.

Getting involved in any physical activity is good for us, and some competition is healthy. I used to think I couldn't run, and still don't run very fast, but I've come to love doing it. Our activities help shape our bodies, and our minds. Better that than the bolt ons, the tummy tucks, the liposuction, the botoxing, and on and on. Maybe we should stop allowing people to claim compensation for cosmetic surgery expenses, and be allowed to claim workout gear.

Emilie said...

I really loved this post and nodded along throughout the whole thing. I am embarrassed by some of the things I did in high school too. Who isn't? And I also maintain that I love running because it makes me feel strong, but it is a little more complicated than that. I think it's good for us to all be honest about why we run/ tri and have blogs about it. It feels good, but it might not always be for the purest reasons. You are really good at being honest with yourself and us.

For me it's true that I started running for weight loss and kept running for so many more reasons.

Thanks for your post. Now go kick ass like you do so well.

Chad Davis said...

You are an amazing writer and you kick ass. Triatlon has taught me to kick ass also. Thank you for this post.

Trisaratops said...

LOVE.

Thank you for this.

Unknown said...

i love this! i read jezebels also and loved what she had to say

My Life said...

Thank you so much for linking to the article and for posting all your honest thoughts! I can relate to so much of where you're coming from and why you love triathlon. And I *loved* the article.

I haven't had the best reactions about triathlon from my family (outside of my very supportive husband). Throughout 70.3 training my mother kept asking how much weight I'd lost. I kept trying to explain I wasn't doing it to lose weight and she simply did not get it. After my HIM, she asked me if I was "finally done" with triathlon and my dad asked me if "got all that marathon nonsense our of my system." When I told my MIL I was tossing around the idea of 140.6 she gasped and said, "ohhhh honey. WHY would you EVER want to do that??" My best friend said, "that might be fun. But what if you get pregnant?" (ftw, I'm not/haven't been trying to have a baby).

So... I haven't told anyone close to me I'm aiming for B2B next year. I'm strangely scared of what they'll think. Because they don't understand the triathlon training and what it means to me. Reading this article definitely helped me get some much needed perspective! Thank you!

Katie said...

I love, love, love this post!! Seriously I almost have tears. One of the reasons I am so excited about training and competing in my first triathlon is because I want to shift my focus to kicking ass! I work at a beach over the summer and it is a volatile environment as far as appearance and self confidence go. I fully intend to use my training as an outlet to help me get through the summer with a healthier attitude :)

Swimming for ME said...

you never cease to surprise and amaze me!

David said...

This is an awesome, awesome post. As in, one of the best I have read. And I've gotten around..

GetBackJoJo said...

@ Dave. Thanks. That's high praise. :)
@Alina. That doesn't sound good. I know I amaze and surprise... but um... you were there. So you can't be surprised and amazed about that.
and @ John. I seem to remember K.H. had quite a few hickeys during swim season as well! haha! Actually... hmmm. I remember Ange having hickeys too....
Alina you are safe. I remember you as hickey-less.

X-Country2 said...

What a great post! As a new mom, I'm trying to figure out this new chapter in my life. Thank you for posting this.

John said...

LOL, yeah, she did. :)

Petraruns said...

Great post! Ana sent me here and this was a good call - love it. Will be following now!

Swimming for ME said...

@Mary - well it's true. and my memory sucks. Shock and Awe - Shock and Awe. You've still got it!