Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I'm Getting Very Nervous....

This weekend is my very first race of the season.

I'm feeling rather silly because I am so anxious about it.

It's the shortest race EVER--like a sprint sprint. It's a 400 yard pool swim, a 7 mile bike, and a 2.3 mile run. Doesn't sound intimidating, right? right.

I think I'm so nervous because this race marks my one year anniversary doing triathlon. I did good last year for a total newbie, but now that I'm a little less newbie-ish I have huge expectations as to what I should be able to do.

I remember last year I was finishing the run course when I saw Jesse, Tim and Cait (my now coach) warming down. They, of course, finished like 1 and 2 M and 1 W overall. I didn't know Cait and Tim at that point--I just knew they must be fast because they were warming down with Jesse. And now Cait is my coach. Weird. A lot happens in a year.

The things I'm obsessed with thinking about are all of those little things such as:

  • Will I be able to manage doing a flip turn and smoothly duck under a lane line as I do so? (We aren't in heats. Each swimmer is seeded according to a self-submitted time and you zig-zag up and down the eight lane pool until you have completed all sixteen lengths.)
  • Will I be able to meet the seed time (5:30) I set up for myself? Will some swimmer catch up to me and need to pass me? Will I have to pass a swimmer? (Both of these things happened last year, I'm afraid...)
  • Will I look like a tool in my QT2 outfit? I know I do, but is this an objective truth, or the the thinking of my delusional mind?
  • Will my goggles break?

  • What if I flat? Should I just bag the race or try to fix it? (This could potentially take me longer than the race itself should.)

  • Should I put the Garmin on my bike or try to put it on my wrist in transition after the swim?
etc etc etc.

I'm a snorefest of a blog writer lately. Sorry. Maybe it's because I have become a librarian?
Perhaps I'll be more zesty after the race this weekend?

10 comments:

jbmmommy said...

Don't forget to enjoy yourself!

As fast as you are that sounds like a 15 minute race- or something close. I'm sure you'll figure out what needs to be done and you'll be great.

Oh, I'm also sure you look fine in that outfit.

Speed Racer said...

Let me answer your questions in a reassuring tone. Claire is short for clairvoyant, so let me see...

Turns: I don't need my crystal ball to tell you this one, I learned for myself last week to flip THEN duck. I seemed to find all the things you SHOULDN'T do, but I learned to try to push off DEEP. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Seed time: Damn, that's fast! With a time that fast, you'll be around people who actually know how they swim and you probably won't need to pass or be passed. *Rubs temples and looks into the future*. You'll be fine.

Wardrobe: You'll look HOT. You will be asked to model for ads after scouts see your photos from this race.

Goggles: Who cares of your goggles break? It's only 400 yards! I don't think that's even enough exposure to give you bloodshot eyes.

Flat: Just don't. End of story.

Garmin: I just put mine on my wrist. It's like, what? a second? And you're going to have to move it to your wrist eventually. So it's your decision whether you want to lose that second in T1, T2, or out on the bike course.

I'm doing that know-it-all thing again. You're going to do grrrrrreat. This time around, don't look at the fast people, look at all the newbies and see how far you've come. Wish I could keep you company. Have fun!

Anniversary Moments said...

Oh Mary, I can totally relate to this!! I have my first race this weekend too -- Hopkinton -- it's a little longer 1/4 mile swim, 13 bike, 5k - but it's an outdoor swim!! I'm afraid I'm going to wimp out of the water or become so obsessed with how cold it is I lose focus. And my expectations are big too because this was the last course I raced last season, so now that I've been following my plan from Jesse to the letter, I have expectations of being superhuman.
All I can say, is you've been so great with your training all winter,nerves are a little good, they give an extra adrenaline rush, and finally, have FUN, remember to breathe, take an extra second to pause and think, it's worth it -- and keep telling yourself, this is the start of a great season and the road to Timberman!! Can't wait to hear how you kicked a$$!

Ange said...

Mary, Keep it simple. Do you need your garmin? Will you want to take the time in that type of sprint to even Look at it? I didn't even Glance at my watch. Just Go for it!!! I have 100% confidence in you. I was super nervous last week too. It just shows your are into it...gets the blood moving....the adrenaline flowing.

Anonymous said...

I bet once you get this first one done, the rest of your races this season will have you feeling less nervous. You're gonna kick butt anyway, I just know it!!

You're so funny...you're not a snorefest. Anyway, I heard somewhere that librarians have a "wild side" ;)

...Congrats on the new job!!

mjcaron said...

What's a tool? lol.. Do you mean geek? or do you mean pro?

Relax. Like I said before. Have a glass of wine will ya! Remember the big picture to. You are fortunate and healthy enough to have a life where you can choose to line up in any race you want. Good luck!!!

kodiacbear said...

Hey Mary--Good luck this weekend!! Whoo Hoo, I am so excited for you. I just missed registering for it--they reopened it with 10 spots for an hour and I missed it :( bummer--but now I am thinking its a good thing to not have to race against you. I can't wait to hear your race report.

Rainmaker said...

Just enjoy the race! And remember, that's what the first race of the year is for anyway, workin' out the kinks. You're going to do great!

Btw, I leave my Garmin on my bike and then just hit start during T1. And then transfer to wrist during T2. I like to be able to look down on it and not have to twist me wrist. But it's all about preference.

Good luck!

Kim said...

haha im totally dreading sudbury.
you are going to kick ass, well because you excel at all three sports. you have a kickass swim time, you kick ass on the bike, and you run like speedy gonzales! you have NOTHING to worry about!!!!

i just bought new goggles bc my other ones have been leaking, so i have to try them out this week, and havent decided if i will be putting the garmin on yet...

what else.
oh yeah, did i mention i dont want to do the race?

SM said...

Oh yeah so boring. Everything you write is great! Good luck with the tri this weekend. ACtually reading your blog tonight reminded me that I need to get the bike attachment for my Garmin...Thanks!