Friday, May 16, 2008

Making and Managing Goals

How does one distinguish a goal that's inflated from a goal that's difficult to reach, but, in fact, reasonable and reachable? This is what I have been thinking about all week. Coach Jesse believes that goals can be mathematically determined. One needs to base them on certain measures taken during training and racing. This seems to really work for him and his athletes. For example, he says in an early blog entry just after completing a very fast 10K, that, "Based on my 6-miler performance (5:33 pace), I used the run calculator to back into my 5k equivalent assuming the 10k was considered “flat”. This resulted in a 16:32 5K equivalent on an average course and a half marathon goal for Hyannis of 1:16:54. Assuming I lose another 2 pounds before then I get: 1:16:54*(1-0.0062 X 2 pounds) = ~1:16:00 for a final Hyannis Half goal and a 5:48 pacing strategy using the Garmin right out of the gate. If it does go down this way, I’ll no doubt be in for another PR and on track for my 2008 season goals……" I used that a part of that particular post because you can see how everything is so calculated. There are formulas that when applied reveal the correct goal for your next race--based on real, cold data. Jesse went on to do a 17:04 at Hyannis, which was a PR, I believe, despite that he didn't quite make his 1:16 time goal. But that's actually not relevant to my blathering right now. What I'm really fixated on is that he has a way to calculate a goal for himself, and he then believes that goal is achievable because he believes in his method of calculation. He believes. That is key, I think. You have to believe. The problem I have is that I don't buy cold calculations. I want to--and in a general way they do work--but I can't help but wonder about the intangibles that go into achieving a goal or even simply racing well. Here is a short list of things that cannot be calculated:
  • One's desire
  • One's belief in her ability to complete, endure, and perform
  • The weather
  • One's focus in a race situations
  • One's ability to do deal with the unexpected--e.g. a flat, a bad patch of road, a fall, getting of course on the swim, etc.
  • The effect that no competition or too much competition has on one's psyche
  • How rested or not rested one is going into a competition
  • One's perception of how rested or not rested one is going into competition
  • One's experience racing in general, racing triathlon in particular, and racing a certain distance more particular still
  • and so on.
  • Recently Jesse wrote a race report on the Sudbury Sprint in which we both just competed. In this post he challenged his readers/athletes to be patient with their training. He evidenced his own history as proof that consistency and hard work over years and years really works. The post is very inspirational, so definitely check it out. I commented that some of us are coming late to the game, and have little patience because we are on the down hill portion of our own "life race" (e.g. -- we're facing 40 really soon). He commented back to me as follows:
  • "Mary: And when you are 46, you’ll be faster than you are now with consistent training! We’re patient, we’d be happy to help you get there. That’s the beauty of this sport; when athletes get into it later in life, they can continue to improve even though their age says they should be slowing down. Just ask your teammates: Keith Manning, Maureen Wattley, and John Barrett.
  • BTW…your performance at Sudbury this year was a 7.0% improvement over last year, which tells me a couple of things:
  • 1) You had a larger improvement over one year than any of my performances above.
  • 2) This percentage applied to your Timberman result from last year gives in a 23 minute improvement. This based only on speed potential without accounting for durability improvements, which will be significant for you.
  • Also, you were amazingly well rounded in your splits Sunday, which tells me you are becoming a triathlete. Welcome to the club!"
  • When I read that comment I got teary. No lie. I actually cried. It might be the most encouraging thing anyone has said to me in years. (So if you read this, Jesse, thank you).
  • And I do buy it a little. I buy that I'm better than last year at this time. I buy that I will see improvement in my 1/2 Iron time this summer barring something tragic happening to me on the course. I buy that I will improve every year for many years to come. I buy that I will be more durable come my big race. But I don't buy the number. I don't buy 23 minutes. I'm not saying that I won't PR by 23 minutes in August. I just don't believe that my performance last Sunday indicates I will go 5:02.I want to believe that is what it indicates. But wanting to believe and actually believing are two different things.
  • (I bet you could guess I am an agnostic.)
  • Jesse believes the numbers don't lie. If we were talking about his performance, and not mine, improving by that much would be possible, because HE BELIEVES in the numbers. I, however, can think of a million reasons why it shouldn't be a real goal to chop 23 minutes off my time. The biggest one is that Sudbury Sprint was my first triathlon ever last year. OF COURSE I IMPROVED by 7%. I honestly expected to improve more than that! A month and half later, in early July of last season, I did a the bike leg of a longer race in over 20mph, which is a 7% improvement over what I had done at Sudbury last year. So you see...
  • Okay. Enough of me going on and on. The point is, I don't know how to make realistic goals that are based on something real. I don't know how to make goals that I can and will believe in.
  • How do the rest of you make goals for yourself?

8 comments:

Swimming for ME said...

Whoa dude! Way to serious.... make goals that let you have fun and if you go faster that is a bonus. But I guess you are already way beyond that point given how much you are training. I don't think I have any answers for you. Just don't burn yourself out.
:) -- Alina

Rainmaker said...

I take a calculated guess approach. I look at the calculations - and then add in a good solid measure of 'if I'm really lucky', and find a time that will be solidly difficult to achieve. I believe that if I just take a calculator to it, that I'll underestimate what I can accomplish.

Kim said...

i am not one for calculations. i know there is something behind all the numbers and all the formulas, but i just dont get it to be honest. but maybe i should try to start understanding, because the "goals" i come up with come out of thin air. there is no rhyme or reason for my times, and i think i need to start becoming serious about setting goals, and not just setting some lofty time up there and hope i beat it.

maybe i should sit down with jesse to discuss this. i need a better understanding of all this.

and YOU my lady, are an amazing athlete and yes, be patient. you are AWESOME right now and with some time, you will be, dare i say it...a top finisher!

Anonymous said...

Like you, I have a hard time believing the cold calculations. I put my numbers in the McMillan calculator once, and when it told me how fast I should be able to do a marathon...I was like...cha, right! Maybe my doubt holds me back, who knows.

Your list of things that can not be calculated makes sense to me, too.

My goal-making process is more general. My theory is that hard work always pays off. I'm a simple gal, though. All the numbers make me not enjoy it as much.

If I were a "front of the pack" type person, I would probably be more inclined to try the calculation approach. You, my friend, are a fast machine!! I believe you can and will keep making trememdous improvements year after year with your talent. Without a doubt, I believe Coach Jesse's predictions for you!

kodiacbear said...

Everyone and anyone can tell you "your fast" or "you'll get there" or "based on these specific calculations..blah..blah" But until YOU believe, it won't happen. Someone once said to me "if you believe your fast, your fast..." but its another thing to Actually Believe it yourself.

How I come up with goals? Pretty simple kind of girl. Look at a race that I am not so sure I could finish and go for it. For me it's not based on time---so the Ironman, was not so sure I could do it. I wanted to see what I could do in a year of training..and have a great time doing it..and this whole process--I haven't been happier.

triguyjt said...

Mary..Good post. I am not a huge calculation guy.

the numbers are good tools, but as you further pointed out..the desire, the heart can't be put into any formula..

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Mary, you and my wife should get together. You would either be best of friends or worst of enemies because both of you fret over the smallest things. You do more in your life than most people do and still you are not happy. You find ways to have a career, take care of your kids, train for triathlons and other races, and hopefully still make your husband happy. Then you worry about your race times when you are 45. Enjoy the here and now.

I make my “fun” goals based on the word FUN!!! I want to push myself in a race but at the same time still have fun. I pulled myself out of Columbia on Sunday so that I would not get injured.

I have another job in my life that has control over people’s lives. That one I take seriously. I look at goals, training, personnel. Because people can and do die.

Triathlon is for fun and fitness. Your livelihood does not depend it. Stop worrying and have fun!!
BTW, have you seen that show about that couple with all the kids on TLC? Are you like the wife?

Speed Racer said...

1. You are going straight to hell for not believing in the numbers. I will pray for your mortal soul.

2. This is just my opinion, but as much as we like to compare our bodies to machines (usually cars), we are not machines. There are too many variables in the human body. There are still things that we don't understand and things that have yet to be discovered, but are still true, even if we haven't put a formula to them yet. (Does that make sense? It does in my head). Numbers can be inspiring, but they can also be limiting, ESPECIALLY if that's what you're basing your training on, ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY in your first few seasons when you don't even know what you might be capable of.

3. How do I make goals? I never make a goal for a race until I'm about a month or less out from it. You never know what's going to happen between now and then, and if you're too optimistic at the outset, you'll just set yourself up for disappointment. (And by "you" I mean "me".) I think that the difference between an inflated goal and a "reach" is that you are ashamed to admit an inflated goal to your friends because in your heart of hearts, you know you're going to have to eat your words later.

4. You would have gone at LEAST 8% faster if those fat bitches hadn't gotten in your way in the pool.

This post has so much food for thought... but I'll stop there and shut up now.